• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Thought I Was Doing Nothing Wrong Back Then

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I had no idea that Guinea Pigs cannot be kept with Rabbits !! In fact Petsmart (now PAH) sold me a Rabbit and a GP to be kept together as friends as they were together in the store !! This was many years ago

FD0Mdsh.jpg

SZHSeKr.jpg

I had no idea that Guinea Pigs cannot be kept with Rabbits !! In fact Petsmart (now PAH) sold me a Rabbit and a GP to be kept together as friends as they were together in the store !! This was many years ago

FD0Mdsh.jpg

SZHSeKr.jpg
Awh tbf they do look close [emoji7] I remember when I was a kid and friends of mine had a piggie and a bun together - we just had the two mini lops, not sure when advice changed tho!

Also I had no idea pah used to be called petsmart!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It used to be so common. I didn't have guinea pigs as a kid, but I remember it was a standard thing that people had one piggy and one bunny together.

They do look sweet together. I used to have guinea pigs and rabbits, not together but they would share exercise space and seemed to get on okay. One of the rabbits was always licking the piggies faces trying to be friends :)

You're not the only one Jane

It's how it all started out for me back in the early 90's. I inherited a rabbit and piggy from a family member who had to gone into hospital for a long time. It was also at this time I learned from my then Australian Vet that you could actually neuter a rabbit :shock: As the rabbit would harass the poor little piggy and very time I tried to separate them piggy would get so upset.

Thankfully how times have changed.

Last edited:
I think many of us may have made this mistake many years ago, we did we got Goldie for thumper but she kept scaring him into the poo pile in hutch. So we got Mitzi bunny and put Goldie with what we thought was girl Mitzi who 5urned out to be male and bullied and started to nip Goldie who sat in fear teeth chattering, we immediately removed him and he was happy, Mitzi made her way to bonding himself with thumper when he was neutered,
When thumper died and I got Rosie she kept going to have a look at Goldie but he ran in fear Rosie didn't want hurt him as she was smaller and only a baby but I never put them out together

I'm sure years ago it was the advice given that it was ok to keep them together. I used to have a bunny and Guinea pig when I was a teenager and they adored each other, just like my bunnies now.

I had no idea that Guinea Pigs cannot be kept with Rabbits !!

I think "cannot" is a bit strong a word here. Maybe it's no longer considered advisable but personally we kept a guinea pig with a rabbit together for five years (until the guinea pig died of old age) and I never saw anything but affection between them. In fact, they bonded immediately without the slightest problem and never had a fight whereas it took me five months to bond my current rabbit pair and they still have the occasional bickering.

I think all that is an exaggeration of the theory " a piggie isn't a complete companion for a single rabbit", which people with no clue or experience transformed to Rabbits+piggies=nogo. I've read a lot good first hand experience storys about rabbits and piggies, and not one bad.

I think "cannot" is a bit strong a word here. Maybe it's no longer considered advisable but personally we kept a guinea pig with a rabbit together for five years (until the guinea pig died of old age) and I never saw anything but affection between them. In fact, they bonded immediately without the slightest problem and never had a fight whereas it took me five months to bond my current rabbit pair and they still have the occasional bickering.

I think all that is an exaggeration of the theory " a piggie isn't a complete companion for a single rabbit", which people with no clue or experience transformed to Rabbits+piggies=nogo. I've read a lot good first hand experience storys about rabbits and piggies, and not one bad.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs

I had rabbit and guinea pigs as a child but never together.

Our vet neutered two of our male rabbits. It was in the 1970s. He was fascinated to have this great chance to perform such an unusual procedure.

Back