• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you heard of the BaBBA Campaign?

I've not heard of it before, but thank you for highlighting it

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I guess I'm a minority here, but well, just to add a different viewpoint...

I'm very wary about crusades like this.

It's short sighted populism that destroys something, the already fragile symbioses between man and animals. In other words, it comes down to " wipe rabbits from the face of the earth so we don't have something to project our feelings on". When that is done, those people find other victims, they don't stop, they need that to feel power over other people. They are not out to improve something, sure, their believe is strong, but it's just about having the power to force whatever on other people, it's not about protection whatsoever.
Cute pictures, a heartbreaking story - that's the 101 of populism. Something quite common nowadays, well, actually quite common throughout human history. No facts, no insight what is realy going on, just a selective spotlight on bad things. Manipulation, an easy solution without even thinking about consequences.
I'm sure most don't realise that.

Here, private ads for pets got heavily restricted 2 years ago, and with awful results. There's no easy way to find a new home for a pet that would need one - kids grown out, wasn't what one expected, etc, so they get dumped in the woods ("set free"), or worse. I used to sell those kits that got great personality - almost impossible now, they all end in the freezer. There are people out there looking for rabbits like mine, but I can't reach them anymore.

Of course, that ban doesn't effect commercial enterprises (noone is going to harm economy), and "Rescues"- the real ones are overloaded since there isn't anything other left for pet owners, that doing "rehoming" from breeder to customer make good profit. So, it lead to a lot of animals suffering, there's still ample commercial supply, but no way out anymore. And imho the long term effects of such bans is worse, when people get alienated from animals noone will notice or care when they disappear.

No, I'm no fan of that kind of campaign.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a minority here, but well, just to add a different viewpoint...

I'm very wary about crusades like this.

It's short sighted populism that destroys something, the already fragile symbioses between man and animals. In other words, it comes down to " wipe rabbits from the face of the earth so we don't have something to project our feelings on". When that is done, those people find other victims, they don't stop, they need that to feel power over other people. They are not out to improve something, sure, their believe is strong, but it's just about having the power to force whatever on other people, it's not about protection whatsoever.
Cute pictures, a heartbreaking story - that's the 101 of populism. Something quite common nowadays, well, actually quite common throughout human history. No facts, no insight what is realy going on, just a selective spotlight on bad things. Manipulation, an easy solution without even thinking about consequences.
I'm sure most don't realise that.

Here, private ads for pets got heavily restricted 2 years ago, and with awful results. There's no easy way to find a new home for a pet that would need one - kids grown out, wasn't what one expected, etc, so they get dumped in the woods ("set free"), or worse. I used to sell those kits that got great personality - almost impossible now, they all end in the freezer. There are people out there looking for rabbits like mine, but I can't reach them anymore.

Of course, that ban doesn't effect commercial enterprises (noone is going to harm economy), and "Rescues"- the real ones are overloaded since there isn't anything other left for pet owners, that doing "rehoming" from breeder to customer make good profit. So, it lead to a lot of animals suffering, there's still ample commercial supply, but no way out anymore. And imho the long term effects of such bans is worse, when people get alienated from animals noone will notice or care when they disappear.

No, I'm no fan of that kind of campaign.

No-one is suggesting that we "wipe rabbits from the face of the earth". This relates to adverts for baby bunnies and not to older rabbits that are looking for a new home as I understand it. I have no access to the Facebook page, so I don't know any details other than the link I posted.

I think there is merit in something that steers people away from the impulsive buying of a cute little bunny who they will tire of within a few short months if not sooner.

No-one is suggesting that we "wipe rabbits from the face of the earth". This relates to adverts for baby bunnies and not to older rabbits that are looking for a new home as I understand it. I have no access to the Facebook page, so I don't know any details other than the link I posted.

I think there is merit in something that steers people away from the impulsive buying of a cute little bunny who they will tire of within a few short months if not sooner.
Yea I think it would be good.

Altho! I like impulse buying/adopting if I connect with an animal - I guess it's better if we couldn't for the majority tho. None of my animals will ever be rehomed for aslong as I'm around :)

I think I'm just an impulsive person though, but I realise and understand the care and commitment I'm getting into, maybe not everyone does?

I won't buy from a pet shop tho, only adopt, Fleur was the exception there and there was no way I was leaving her, and I wouldn't have done anything differently :)
Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yea I think it would be good.

Altho! I like impulse buying/adopting if I connect with an animal - I guess it's better if we couldn't for the majority tho. None of my animals will ever be rehomed for aslong as I'm around :)

I think I'm just an impulsive person though, but I realise and understand the care and commitment I'm getting into, maybe not everyone does?

I won't buy from a pet shop tho, only adopt, Fleur was the exception there and there was no way I was leaving her, and I wouldn't have done anything differently :)

Seeing all the rabbits who are four months or less given up for adoption or on the free ads, no I would say that most people don't realise their responsibilities. There again, they don't see rabbits being creatures of any worth that they need to take any care over their lives to any great degree.

Baby rabbits have the cuteness factor that draws people in. When they realise the reality of rabbit keeping, they are bored and want rid of them :(

Seeing all the rabbits who are four months or less given up for adoption or on the free ads, no I would say that most people don't realise their responsibilities. There again, they don't see rabbits being creatures of any worth that they need to take any care over their lives to any great degree.

Baby rabbits have the cuteness factor that draws people in. When they realise the reality of rabbit keeping, they are bored and want rid of them :(
Yea I agree. Its really really sad tbh.

You impulsively rescued a pair of needy rabbits.
That's mopping up after someone else's unconcern.

What would we do without folk like you? xx

Yea I guess

It's so rubbish that it happens :( I still don't understand how you can get bored of a rabbit, they're such funny animals [emoji38](I realise clearly people do)

Yea I guess

It's so rubbish that it happens :( I still don't understand how you can get bored of a rabbit, they're such funny animals [emoji38](I realise clearly people do)

I think rabbits require a deal of patience. They aren't 'instant gratification' animals like dogs. More like cats I suppose but harder work :)

Also, being dubbed as children's pets does them no favours at all :cry:

I think rabbits require a deal of patience. They aren't 'instant gratification' animals like dogs. More like cats I suppose but harder work :)

Also, being dubbed as children's pets does them no favours at all :cry:

Yea I guess that's true! Sometimes things are on their terms like a cat [emoji38]

Yes that's not a good label. I was purchased two buns for my 8th birthday to replace my hamster... I got aged 5... Not decisions I'd make! [emoji38]

Yea I guess that's true! Sometimes things are on their terms like a cat [emoji38]

Yes that's not a good label. I was purchased two buns for my 8th birthday to replace my hamster... I got aged 5... Not decisions I'd make! [emoji38]

Sometimes? You have co-operative bunnies obv :lol:;)

Sometimes? You have co-operative bunnies obv [emoji38];)
Yeaaa well they all know their names... And I taught them that if they come when called they get a treat... So even if there's not a treat... They still come running over... [emoji14] I can play their game! [emoji38][emoji38]

Yeaaa well they all know their names... And I taught them that if they come when called they get a treat... So even if there's not a treat... They still come running over... [emoji14] I can play their game! [emoji38][emoji38]

:lol: Under the thumb!!

Back