• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about my Buck

jewels26301

Young Bun
Toffee my 6mth old Buck was Castrated about 6weeks ago...

Since then he's not the lively bouncy rabbit he used to be, he's always been a friendly chilled rabbit, but now his bounce has gone i'm worried...

He no longer dives for his food like he used to :cry:

And he is moulting real bad at the moment, is the a time of year this happens?

Maybe he's feeling lonely?

Wish he could tell me whats up.....Any ideas?

Jewels xxxxxxxxx

Hiya Jewels, so sorry to hear you are concerned about your bunny.
There are several possibilities....perhaps his hormone levels have dropped dramatically after the op, and he is not as active as he was before..this can happen and is nothing to worry about.

He may be feeling a bit low after the operation, and so a course of probiotics and rabbit vitamin drops in his water may help as a tonic.

There is a possibilty he has a low key infection, gut bacteria out of balance, or water works infection. Is he drinking and weeing normally, does his urine smell strong? Bunnies tend to drink less or more :roll: when they have cystitis.

Perhaps it is related to the fur moult and he has a bit of fur building up inside his tummy, so he is feeling off and wants to eat less.
try and give him a squirt of original flavoured KITTY MALT (from pet shops) about a teaspoons worth for three consectitive days to see if he passes any fur in his droppings.
We use the Kitty Malt as a preventative for furballs giving a teaspoon once a week (or once a day with Angoras) and squirt it on a front paw so he can groom it off.

Try tempting him with some grated celery which is water based to help his digestion..or a small handful of herbs, mint and parsely is good.

It is probably nothing much to worry about, but the above are just some ideas for you to consider.

Hope your bunny regains his bounce again very soon.

Best wishes and send me a PM if I can help further.

Adele

Ps. Play him so nice upbeat music to see if that lifts his spirits, the sanctuary rabbits love music!! :p :lol:

Thanks for the reply Adele...

Come to think of it, he is drinking but not as much as he was....i haven't noticed his urine smell...
He lives above his 4 babies and my doe so his isn't sticking out...

I'm going to buy him some Kitty Malt and Vitamins today, i assume they can be used together?

He's been in his bed part all morning :cry:

Would he be happier being a house rabbit i wonder?

Back