• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

£15 RHD2 Vax in Essex! #29

MightyMax

Banned
I had this long in my Inbox just now ...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...ing-deadly-highly-contagious-disease-14389440

Honor Etherington at Hadrian's Vets was offering reduced price RHD2 vaccinations earlier this year to hep eradicate the spread of the disease.

It got me thinking - if more vets offered RHD2 vaccine at a reduced price for perhaps a limited period of time, would it help stamp out incidences of RHD2?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ed-August-2018&p=7036203&posted=1#post7036203

Last edited:
It should be cheaper, especially for folk like me! Whether it would eradicate it fully I doubt it. Even if it did, wicked people would invent another one.

It should be cheaper, especially for folk like me! Whether it would eradicate it fully I doubt it. Even if it did, wicked people would invent another one.

Vets offer neutering at lower than cost price to encourage less breeding.

The price can be quite variable.
And yes, you're probably right - another nasty may well come along :(

From the (lack of) response I am guessing most people are happy with the price they pay for RHD2 vaccinations?

The main point was though, that a reduced price (even temporarily) as the vet Honor Etherington was offering, would perhaps tempt people who would not normally bother vaccinating their rabbits to go along and get them done.

I say this because the RWAF have notified me of so many deaths from RHD2 that's I believe something should be done to try and stem this 'epidemic', because that's what it is :(

I paid £41 each for my 2 buns a couple of weeks ago. Even the vet said to me "these are expensive aren't they"
I agree but still pay it as I couldn't bear anything happening to my 2....

Honestly? Sadly I don't think it would make much difference, no. Of course any bunny protected is a good thing, but it's unlikely to drive uptake by much and if it did, they wouldn't renew next year when it was at full cost. Of course if vets want to do it then great, but in general I think it just puts even more emotional blackmail on vets to reduce prices 'because they love animals' when the suicide rate is already sky high in the profession because of this pressure.

It wouldn't help eradicate though because it's endemic in the wild population so even if every domestic bunny in the country was vaccinated, it wouldn't stem the tide, sadly :(

I paid £41 each for my 2 buns a couple of weeks ago. Even the vet said to me "these are expensive aren't they"
I agree but still pay it as I couldn't bear anything happening to my 2....

Yes that is expensive.

I've spoken with a couple of vets about this, and they agree with Honor Etherington, that prices could well be reduced in order to stop the spread of the disease. It's good to know that some vets think along these lines and are willing to forego a little income for the sake of rabbits' health :)

It's good to know that some vets think along these lines and are willing to forego a little income for the sake of rabbits' health :)

For me, this seems not dissimilar to emotional blackmail and pressure on vets to do things for cheap/free for the sake of the animals is part of the root of the problem with stress and suicide in the profession. Where do you stop? What about reducing prices for dog and cat vaccines for the sake of their health? What about doing free cruciate repair operations for the sake of the dogs health? What about free dentals for the sake of whatever animal's health? It is not the vet's responsibility, it is the owners responsibility to ensure these things.

Of course, it's absolutely fantastic if vets choose to offer promotions and discounts for short periods of time or at their discretion for individuals (and indeed many already do this, but wouldn't shout about it because then everyone would want it...), but putting pressure on vets to do so is very "if you really love animals, you'd do it for free". It's not helpful or sustainable IMO.

For August and September, my vets have been offering 20% off all rabbit vaccinations Of course, I'll have mine vaccinated come what may but for me it has been beneficial when the vaccinations have happened to coincide.

Personally I consider a far more effective way of helping the vaccination issue for rabbits is by publicity and advice. I am not convinced that cost is playing a large part in the reasons why owners may not vaccinate for RHD2. And of course the virus would still be spread amongst the wild rabbit population.

I also agree with the point put forward by Santa that vets should not feel their income could or should take a hit to help the health of animals. In my view, the more people are made aware of the various vaccinations/treatments together with the likely costs involved for proper rabbit care, the more people would not be surprised at the financial aspect when it occurs.

I ask because I've no idea, but is there a similar issue with vaccinations/neutering costs for dogs?

For August and September, my vets have been offering 20% off all rabbit vaccinations Of course, I'll have mine vaccinated come what may but for me it has been beneficial when the vaccinations have happened to coincide.

I think like offering low cost neutering, any incentive to people to help rid the planet of RHD2 is a good thing :)

Hugs for you TLC xxx

Honestly? Sadly I don't think it would make much difference, no. Of course any bunny protected is a good thing, but it's unlikely to drive uptake by much and if it did, they wouldn't renew next year when it was at full cost. Of course if vets want to do it then great, but in general I think it just puts even more emotional blackmail on vets to reduce prices 'because they love animals' when the suicide rate is already sky high in the profession because of this pressure.

It wouldn't help eradicate though because it's endemic in the wild population so even if every domestic bunny in the country was vaccinated, it wouldn't stem the tide, sadly :(

My vets have said the offer they have at the moment has increased the uptake considerably. The problem, as you say, is whether or not the owners continue to vaccinate their rabbits going forward. I've vaccinated some of mine during the offer, but only because they were due. I'd have vaccinated them nevertheless. (and I have a couple more due during September, where the offer continues.)

It's a profession people go into for the love of animals, but equally it is so demanding on every part of your body and soul. I'd like to think most vets do their utmost to work with the owners of the animals, especially in trying to avoid having the costs so prohibitively high. However there is only so much they can do.

I think like offering low cost neutering, any incentive to people to help rid the planet of RHD2 is a good thing :)

Hugs for you TLC xxx

It is good. 5 of mine are on the Healthy Pet Club - which decreases the price of all medications, includes vaccinations as part of the plan, has reduced cost neutering etc. There's even talks of having a HPC scheme now that runs for animals that don't need vaccinations too, apparently.

My vets have said the offer they have at the moment has increased the uptake considerably. The problem, as you say, is whether or not the owners continue to vaccinate their rabbits going forward. I've vaccinated some of mine during the offer, but only because they were due. I'd have vaccinated them nevertheless. (and I have a couple more due during September, where the offer continues.)

It's a profession people go into for the love of animals, but equally it is so demanding on every part of your body and soul. I'd like to think most vets do their utmost to work with the owners of the animals, especially in trying to avoid having the costs so prohibitively high. However there is only so much they can do.

That's very positive :)

Low cost neutering never went out of fashion, so if vets chose to, they could keep the RHD2 vaccine at a low cost for as long as they wish.

I asked my vet whether she felt 'blackmailed' into reducing her costs beyond that which was sustainable. Most vets are part of a bigger conglomerate - even my Independent vet has now joined those ranks. She was not worried at all about a reduction in cost, and especially if it was going to benefit rabbits in the longer term :)

Personally I consider a far more effective way of helping the vaccination issue for rabbits is by publicity and advice. I am not convinced that cost is playing a large part in the reasons why owners may not vaccinate for RHD2. And of course the virus would still be spread amongst the wild rabbit population.

I also agree with the point put forward by Santa that vets should not feel their income could or should take a hit to help the health of animals. In my view, the more people are made aware of the various vaccinations/treatments together with the likely costs involved for proper rabbit care, the more people would not be surprised at the financial aspect when it occurs.

I ask because I've no idea, but is there a similar issue with vaccinations/neutering costs for dogs?

I've discussed this with my vet, and with another that I know personally. Neither feel that they have to or should reduce the price of the vaccinations. In point of fact, one has and one hasn't, and both are happy with their decision.

People view rabbits as disposable pets, and are often unwilling to spend anything more than the purchase price on them, sadly :(

I've discussed this with my vet, and with another that I know personally. Neither feel that they have to or should reduce the price of the vaccinations. In point of fact, one has and one hasn't, and both are happy with their decision.

People view rabbits as disposable pets, and are often unwilling to spend anything more than the purchase price on them, sadly :(

I agree this is sometimes the reason. I also think that for some people it's a bit like paying for something that they consider might not be necessary and from which they can't see any immediate benefit. I say that because I've noticed on here that sometimes people say they don't have the money for various things, which would come under the general heading of 'rabbit health care'. Although those same people would happily pay for a colourful toy or perhaps some type of rabbit foodie type treat. Sometimes it's just a case of different people's priorities.

I agree this is sometimes the reason. I also think that for some people it's a bit like paying for something that they consider might not be necessary and from which they can't see any immediate benefit. I say that because I've noticed on here that sometimes people say they don't have the money for various things, which would come under the general heading of 'rabbit health care'. Although those same people would happily pay for a colourful toy or perhaps some type of rabbit foodie type treat. Sometimes it's just a case of different people's priorities.

This exactly ^

I don't understand not having money for vet care etc but looking to purchase other things for their buns :( makes me very sad. I never got insurance for mine, because well tbh I was gunna.. But then clementine had the leg issues so soon after I got her, that it fell of my radar and now she's not insurable for anything like that, and Atticus with his gut issues the same. But I make sure I have a significant sum always for emergencies and just normal vet care. I probably could get Apricot and Penelope insured, but Idk.. So far the pot of money in a separate account works well for everyone including the hammies. I buy lots of stuff for the buns and hammies, but would never if it meant not being able to get them care whenever they needed it. Medical care is always my priority, whatever the cost. (everyone is different though and I realise I'm the person who rushes to the vet at the first signs of anything [emoji38])

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

This exactly ^

I don't understand not having money for vet care etc but looking to purchase other things for their buns :( makes me very sad. I never got insurance for mine, because well tbh I was gunna.. But then clementine had the leg issues so soon after I got her, that it fell of my radar and now she's not insurable for anything like that, and Atticus with his gut issues the same. But I make sure I have a significant sum always for emergencies and just normal vet care. I probably could get Apricot and Penelope insured, but Idk.. So far the pot of money in a separate account works well for everyone including the hammies. I buy lots of stuff for the buns and hammies, but would never if it meant not being able to get them care whenever they needed it. Medical care is always my priority, whatever the cost. (everyone is different though and I realise I'm the person who rushes to the vet at the first signs of anything [emoji38])

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's like treating the animals as fun items and not living beings who need essential health care just as we do. You wouldn't dream of buying a child a new toy if it meant they were deprived of important vaccinations and liable to suffer a horrible death as an outcome.

It's the perception of rabbits as throwaway.

I know that the real cost of neutering is nothing like we are charged at the vet. That's their 'loss leader' or I am sure very many people would be put off getting their rabbits fixed as well.

I just don't think having a reduced cost would help.. I'm not sure how much money plays into it. I think you moreso have people like my dad, who see a rabbit that you buy for £30, and then ask you why the hell you're spending £90 on vaccinations.

animals that aren't cats dogs & horses are just considered throwaway in my opinion.

I can tell you from my experience I was questioned as to why I didn't throw Snoopy into the wild, on a sidewalk, rehome him, send him to a shelter, or PTS as soon as these problems arrived. I told them because I loved him and he was my "son" - I was looked at like I was mad. I asked them, would you put your cat to sleep because he had ongoing health issues, "no!", then why would I put Snoopy to sleep? eventually it was all for nothing as I made the decision to hold his paw to the rainbow bridge, but I did my best. at one point my dad threatened to throw Snoopy out for me, and told me I was "wasting money".

Luna...my little sweetheart...so many problems due to poor owners before hand... bleeding sore hocks, eye ulcers, being blind, being aggressive, arthritis... guess what - I received the same comments as I did with Snoopy. why didn't I just rehome her, she's just a problem rabbit. because I love her and I like to believe I will be the light in her life, and fix her. I told her one the night I brought her home and she stood shaking in her crate that I loved her, and that everything would be okay, she had me now & I had her. I promised to her that night that I wouldn't give up on her, this was her forever home now, and I'd make it all okay. she's a rabbit, she doesn't understand, but it would break me not to keep that promise.

she'll be on medication for the rest of her life now, sure its a bit expensive, and sure maybe it will knock a few years off of her life.. but I'd rather a few years less of a happy Luna over more years of a painful and grumpy Luna.

I'm getting a bit sappy and off track, but the point is many don't see rabbits the way we do. many people don't see small furries the way we do on this forum. I was looked at like I was an idiot as I've always took my hamsters & gerbils to be PTS at the vets. often I've asked to go out back to be with them. my dad often asked me "why? just throw them outside some cat will get the job done. you're wasting £30-90 on them". I've had people with similar views look at me like I was nuts.

the key word there is "wasting". people don't see them as pets, they see them as disposable.

I had somebody tell me in the vets office after putting one to sleep that I should stop crying - it was "only a hamster". meanwhile the receptionists held me as I cried as they knew the battle I had had. we joked about getting a reserved spot for me on the seats, I was always there every week with one sick pet.

I had a very sick gerbil, I spend a year fighting with her, before the decision was kinder to hold her paw to the rainbow bridge too. "she only cost £6, and you've spent £300 on her. you're wasting money. you wouldn't spend £3000 to fix a car that cost £600". I don't understand how somebody can compare a gerbil, a living thing that has meaning, to a car.

I don't think the issue is money here. I think its that people don't value animals like we do, here. people see them as "it only cost x I'm not spending double, triple that on them", that they're not a life I guess. I don't think reducing prices would help.

I just don't think having a reduced cost would help.. I'm not sure how much money plays into it. I think you moreso have people like my dad, who see a rabbit that you buy for £30, and then ask you why the hell you're spending £90 on vaccinations.

animals that aren't cats dogs & horses are just considered throwaway in my opinion.

I can tell you from my experience I was questioned as to why I didn't throw Snoopy into the wild, on a sidewalk, rehome him, send him to a shelter, or PTS as soon as these problems arrived. I told them because I loved him and he was my "son" - I was looked at like I was mad. I asked them, would you put your cat to sleep because he had ongoing health issues, "no!", then why would I put Snoopy to sleep? eventually it was all for nothing as I made the decision to hold his paw to the rainbow bridge, but I did my best. at one point my dad threatened to throw Snoopy out for me, and told me I was "wasting money".

Luna...my little sweetheart...so many problems due to poor owners before hand... bleeding sore hocks, eye ulcers, being blind, being aggressive, arthritis... guess what - I received the same comments as I did with Snoopy. why didn't I just rehome her, she's just a problem rabbit. because I love her and I like to believe I will be the light in her life, and fix her. I told her one the night I brought her home and she stood shaking in her crate that I loved her, and that everything would be okay, she had me now & I had her. I promised to her that night that I wouldn't give up on her, this was her forever home now, and I'd make it all okay. she's a rabbit, she doesn't understand, but it would break me not to keep that promise.

she'll be on medication for the rest of her life now, sure its a bit expensive, and sure maybe it will knock a few years off of her life.. but I'd rather a few years less of a happy Luna over more years of a painful and grumpy Luna.

I'm getting a bit sappy and off track, but the point is many don't see rabbits the way we do. many people don't see small furries the way we do on this forum. I was looked at like I was an idiot as I've always took my hamsters & gerbils to be PTS at the vets. often I've asked to go out back to be with them. my dad often asked me "why? just throw them outside some cat will get the job done. you're wasting £30-90 on them". I've had people with similar views look at me like I was nuts.

the key word there is "wasting". people don't see them as pets, they see them as disposable.

I had somebody tell me in the vets office after putting one to sleep that I should stop crying - it was "only a hamster". meanwhile the receptionists held me as I cried as they knew the battle I had had. we joked about getting a reserved spot for me on the seats, I was always there every week with one sick pet.

I had a very sick gerbil, I spend a year fighting with her, before the decision was kinder to hold her paw to the rainbow bridge too. "she only cost £6, and you've spent £300 on her. you're wasting money. you wouldn't spend £3000 to fix a car that cost £600". I don't understand how somebody can compare a gerbil, a living thing that has meaning, to a car.

I don't think the issue is money here. I think its that people don't value animals like we do, here. people see them as "it only cost x I'm not spending double, triple that on them", that they're not a life I guess. I don't think reducing prices would help.

That's all incredibly sad BC. That you've had to put up with all of this sh*t. I am so sorry :(

No-one has ever questioned any of my decisions regarding my rabbits. How I have allowed them to live, and to die.

A sentient being is just that, with feelings and emotions. No different to a cat or dog.

I have no words for people who think of animals as disposable.

Those rabbits who are looked after by people signed up to RU are lucky indeed.
They must sadly be in the minority :(

Back