• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advise please, Orion is subdued :(

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
- subdued, wants to sit in the back of the hutch
- head is tilted to the right
- right ear is permanently back
- still eating and gets excited when food is involved
- is walking normally

I’m kicking myself he’s been subdued today but it’s been so busy I’ve only just noticed. I’m so worried [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forgot to add but this is how he looks right now, not the best picture
724e4e9b31e1795496e4bb743d92c8f4.jpg

So he's got a slight head tilt?

I'd take him straight to the vets, could be an ear infection or EC and quicker the treatment the better the recovery. I'm guessing you know that a vet can't tell just by looking to rule out ear infection and I think they need to do an xray?

Either way I think getting a vet to see him quickly would be the best idea.

Hope he'll be okay, hugs x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

pretty much, his head is tilted to the right slightly and his ear is back.

tbh with you, every vet is closed and as of the moment with boyf still not having a job active, I can't afford an out of hours vets. its £200 for a consult never mind what's on top, and they seem to be useless with rabbits. I'd think they'd kill him honestly. I'm hoping we can sit through a night together and I'll call my vet asap in the morning.

I did think ear infection.. he's eating okay but I don't know his output as he's with Luna right now. I'll see what I can do. I don't like stress humpf

pretty much, his head is tilted to the right slightly and his ear is back.

tbh with you, every vet is closed and as of the moment with boyf still not having a job active, I can't afford an out of hours vets. its £200 for a consult never mind what's on top, and they seem to be useless with rabbits. I'd think they'd kill him honestly. I'm hoping we can sit through a night together and I'll call my vet asap in the morning.

I did think ear infection.. he's eating okay but I don't know his output as he's with Luna right now. I'll see what I can do. I don't like stress humpf
Ah I see :(

Well I hope your normal vet can see him ASAP in the morning then, it's good he's still eating etc xx

Good luck, are his ears bothering him at all? Is he scratching at them or flicking his head? Hope it's not too serious.

he’s not flicking his head nor scratching at all. his output is small and he’s not eating much, I think he’s finding it too hard. I made up some critical care and he’s been lapping it up from the spoon, before getting impatient and moving to the bowl. I gave some infacol as an incase.

I do have metacam handy, but I don’t know his exact weight right now and I don’t know what dose he would need. I’m unsure on what to give him and i wouldn’t want to cause more issues so I haven’t given any.

I feel like such a trash bunny parent. I can never give them enough it feels. i want to get to the out of hours vet but I can only afford a consult with no treatment. and I don’t trust them with orion as they don’t seem to be rabbit savvy :(

he isn’t circling so I don’t think it’s a stroke neither

he’s lapping up more critical care so i’ll keep on with that, he’s in good spirit and responsive so I think it’s an ear infection ?

0a7d016f7c9d114c045f4c7e6d1bd020.jpg

he’s not flicking his head nor scratching at all. his output is small and he’s not eating much, I think he’s finding it too hard. I made up some critical care and he’s been lapping it up from the spoon, before getting impatient and moving to the bowl. I gave some infacol as an incase.

I do have metacam handy, but I don’t know his exact weight right now and I don’t know what dose he would need. I’m unsure on what to give him and i wouldn’t want to cause more issues so I haven’t given any.

I feel like such a trash bunny parent. I can never give them enough it feels. i want to get to the out of hours vet but I can only afford a consult with no treatment. and I don’t trust them with orion as they don’t seem to be rabbit savvy :(

he isn’t circling so I don’t think it’s a stroke neither

he’s lapping up more critical care so i’ll keep on with that, he’s in good spirit and responsive so I think it’s an ear infection ?

0a7d016f7c9d114c045f4c7e6d1bd020.jpg

Ec they can be just the same I think, could be either - and if it's suspected as either or, I'd just treat for both if I'm honest with you.

Poor baby, has the tilt got any worse?

Have you got a vets4pets near by? They're normally 24 hours, and they don't change the prices depending on time. May not be rabbit savvy... But they'll give you panacur, an antibiotic, and an anti inflammatory (or tell you dose for weight) - just tell the vet [emoji38] that is if they can't figure out if it's anything else... I'm obviously just guessing here - but head tilt normally means one or the other I think...

Could someone drive you to vets4pets? Or could your parents cover the out of hours maybe? xx

advise please, Orion is subdued 😞

i don’t think it’s gotten any worse. he can hold his head straight up but i think it’s uncomfortable for him.

he’s just been drinking quite a bit and is eating some critical care again. he gave me some kisses. I’m glad I have some critical care but I may run out tonight as it’s the only thing he will eat

nearest vets4pets is romford, 27 miles away [emoji20]

he seems to be perking up, hope I don’t jinx it. he’s moving around. some larger poops now I think but they may be Luna’s somebody did them when I went to get more critical care [emoji849][emoji849]

parents won’t pay anything towards them.. which is fair. they’re my pets.

i don’t think it’s gotten any worse. he can hold his head straight up but i think it’s uncomfortable for him.

he’s just been drinking quite a bit and is eating some critical care again. he gave me some kisses. I’m glad I have some critical care but I may run out tonight as it’s the only thing he will eat

nearest vets4pets is romford, 27 miles away [emoji20]

he seems to be perking up, hope I don’t jinx it. he’s moving around. some larger poops now I think but they may be Luna’s somebody did them when I went to get more critical care [emoji849][emoji849]

parents won’t pay anything towards them.. which is fair. they’re my pets.

Can always soak and mash up pellets if you run out of CC :)

Ah that's where I am [emoji38]

Hopefully he'll keep eating and you'll be able to get him seen tomorrow morning, hugs and vibes being sent for you both xx

I hope he is ok. His head tilt looks quite bad. Rabbits are scary. I would just take him to out of hours and sort payment tomorrow

I hope he is ok. His head tilt looks quite bad. Rabbits are scary. I would just take him to out of hours and sort payment tomorrow

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would just take him to out of hours and sort payment tomorrow"?

I wish it was that simple but I'm running on limited money.. I have £300 for vet bills on hand currently, and a consult at the out of hours is £200 I'm pretty sure.. that leaves me with nothing over after consult for medical costs and I don't know how much insurance will cover.. or if my vet (or the out of hours) will do direct insurance claims.

I was stupid, I had enough and things were stable, boyf was going to get a job, so I brought myself a new phone, otherwise I could have gone to the out of hours vet now. I didn't think two weeks later we'd still be trying to finalise boyf job, and we've been waiting for 3 days on his mother to provide past moving dates as they want 5 years previous address. she is the type of person unless she's getting money or something out of it, she quite frankly doesn't care. he isn't sure and doesn't want to cause issues via guessing and being way off.

I am the idiot here, I know that. but I didn't expect this to happen knowing he is a young & healthy rabbit, with no issues prior at all and a clean bill of health. ofc that doesn't mean jack for rabbits and I should have known better.

he's doing okay, eating some herbs & grass slowly.. Luna is a bit subdued but she is more than likely picking up on my stress.

Personal opinion here but I don't always trust out of hours vets...

It's what, round midnight over there? As long as he's eating I reckon he'll be ok til morning. I'd def prefer going to my usual vets than rushing him to a OOH, stressing him out, and them doing nothing more than you could've done at home with little stress. Or worse, them messing things up even more if they're not rabbit savvy at all.

Usual vet can diagnose and provide treatment in the morning, assuming he's got EC or ear infection.

I don't trust out of hours vets, I'll be honest. when I've had contact with them they've been rude or dismissed any issues. when they got ahold of chocolate they told me it was nothing and hung up on me. the amount of out of hours vets who have offered ill advise or even killed rabbits just because they don't know is.. well heartbreaking to say the least. he's eating fine and chilling out, he's not cold nor hot either (offered a cooling pad and a heating one). Luna is attentively staying by him, she's a little subdued but I do think she's picking up on my stress and is clearly worried about her brother. I carried him down stairs and she stood by the door shaking the baby gate waiting for him, when I brought him back she jumped onto the bed and began furiously grooming him.

she is stealing critical care though the little monkey :lol:

Good luck at the vets later :) I think you're making the right call in avoiding the OOH this time and going to a vet that will properly advise.

Poor Orion :cry:

I hope he gets on OK at the Vets this morning. I would expect the Vet to consider both EC and/or an ear infection as possible diagnosis.

Many Vets will cover for both conditions and treat the Rabbit with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole), an antibiotic-eg Baytril and a non steroidal anti inflammatory eg Metacam.

All in contact Rabbits will need to be treated with Fenbendazole too.

If you are on FB then this group would be really good to join. It offers lots of advice and support for people caring for Rabbits with head tilt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

I wont post lots of links about the various causes and treatments for headtilt as you may find reading too much about it all rather over-whelming. You have enough going on already without having yet more stress to cope with.

Sending lots of vibes for Orion xx

advise please, Orion is subdued 😞

thank you all xx ❤️

we’re en route to the vets now, they have one appointment left but they basically said get here for when you can.

he seems better this morning with his ear up but his head is still tilted.

I gave in and he had 0.4ml of metacam at midnight, maybe the wrong thing to do but he looked so miserable like snoopy did [emoji20] it wasn’t much as he’s 2kg roughly so I hope that was okay.

even so I want a check over to be sure!!

I will check the fb page when I am home, thank you so much jane ❤️

Back