• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

...and yet again

k1984

Mama Doe
Dolly, my elderly french lop was admitted to the vets on Saturday with a messy bottom and sore lady bits. It's something we've had to manage with her periodically since she was young and had all of her incisors removed, she's been to the vets for a bottom shave/tidy up on a number of occasions. Now she is a little older and becoming slightly incontinent I am having to be more on it with her. So, Saturday popped her to the vets. Vet took her off to get her cleaned up. She was sore and swollen down there so the vet advised cream and some antibiotics. However, more worrying was that there were fly eggs. After going through what we did with Adam, my heart sank. Not again. Thankfully, no maggots so there was no skin damage but due to her age and size, both vet and I felt it wise to keep her in to monitor and to kick start her medication to get her healing up and to monitor that all fly eggs had been removed. I brought Bear along to keep her company.

The vets have been wonderful (as they always are tbh), keeping me updated. Yesterday they reported that her bits were looking less red and swollen so she was responding well to the treatment. This morning the report was that they had found a couple of maggots in one of the folds around her lady area, but removed them without any damage being caused. Both vet and I agreed it would be wise to keep her in for a further 48 hours to monitor incase of any further hatching of missed eggs.

Both Dolly and Bear are relaxed and eating as normal so not stressed.

I on the other hand cannot believe this...again....after all that we went through with Adam. I've gone through every emotion. Keeping rabbits is so, so hard.

Hope Dolly gets cleaned up well and there are no more eggs to hatch.

I really feel for you especially after what happened to Adam but look how well he bounced back and only because of the round the clock care u gave him. Keeping rabbits is hard isn't it :(

Keep going, give Adam and Leo big cuddles that would make anyone feel better!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear that you and Dolly are going through this. Your vets sound amazing, that must be a real comfort. Hope Dolly is soon home xxxx

Gosh. How unlucky. I can't imagine many people being this vigilant - thank goodness you are. Loads of vibes for Dolly xx

I'm really sorry about Dolly's issues. Is this common in Frenchies? Because as I'm sure some people on here will remember, I rescued an older Frenchie Pooka many years back and he frequently had diarrhoea and a mucky bum. Despite my best efforts to change that with diet, it never got better and he eventually got flystrike. I had him to put to sleep because he had so many illnesses and issues when I rescued him and didn't feel I could do anything more for him at the point. It was devastating.

It's such a worry when you have mucky bunnies or bunnies that are incontinent and you have to be constantly vigilant. Is Dolly housed inside or out?

I hope she's feeling better soon. Sending a hug to you and Dolly

Last edited:
I am sorry to read this but as previous posts have stated, the vigilance seems to have caught this early. It is always stressful when you discover flystrike - I speak from experience, and I wish that I could find something that would destroy every single living wretched bluebottle and fly. Hopefully the vets won't find any more wrigglies and you'll have Dolly back with you in a few days, safe and sound. Sending healing vibes for her.

I can imagine how deflated you must feel. Thank goodness she has such a good owner looking out for her xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Well vet update is Dolly is responding really well to the treatment. Yesterday the vet nurse had found two maggots in a fold they had missed. Vet said that they must have missed a couple of eggs that had hatched but caught early and thankfully no damage done. Today more improvements and no maggots! Hoping that she's coming home tomorrow.

Aww- so glad Dolly is home and she looks great. The antibiotivs will help with any infection. I hope she makes a very quick and full recovery. xx

Back