• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The People's Vet -CH4

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone watching it ? It's a Documentary programme about the PDSA. There was just a Rabbit Consultation. Not impressed :cry:

I've been watching it, mostly because I know someone who works at Kirkdale. Haven't seen today's episode yet, now I'm nervous :(

:shock: Not impressed either, a partial exam, talks of bunnies breaking backs yet no towel on the table, bunny looks like he has sore hocks (?) & as to the suggested treatment. I'm quite angry. I'd happily push the owners off a cliff too

The owners seemed pretty clueless. I’m hoping the actual examination and advice was more thorough than that shown on tv, disappointing that they made it sound like bathing a rabbit is ok.

I've just seen it. Also not impressed with what I saw. No attempt to understand why he has a messy bottom in the first place, specifically diet as the obvious cause. At least the vet did mention the risk of fly strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The consult was truly appalling. What sort of message does that give to non Rabbit Savvy folk who actually have a Rabbit(s) ? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:

I am going to email the Programme later today. Hope some other people will too.

What happened?

A Bunny was bought in with a very matted and mucky bum and sore hocks. The Vet just had a cursory look and prescribed a medicated shampoo to bath the Rabbit.

No discussion of what may be the primary cause of the mucky bum. No questions asked about the Rabbit's diet, only that the Rabbit felt 'skinny'. Rabbit not weighed, no dental examination, no abdominal examination, no check of heart lungs, ears, eyes.

The risk of Flystrike was briefly mentioned with no advice about what precautions could be taken to try to minimise the risk

No check of sore hocks- ie were they infected

No check that Rabbit was not exhibiting any mobility problems/pain that may indicate an arthritic condition.

Unless the Consult had been heavily edited and lots of things cut from what went out in the programme the Rabbit may just as well not have been taken to the Vet at all.

As well as emailing the programme Editor I am going to flag it up to the RWAF.

I'm going to assume it was heavily edited for time's sake but still, what was left in sends the completely wrong message to bunny owners who may not be aware of everything JJ said.

Just sent this email :

I was extremely disappointed to see the very poor level of advice given to the owners of the Pet Rabbit bought in to the PDSA Hospital due to him having a very mucky rear end and sore hocks. The examination given by the Vet was cursory, failed to address what may be the primary cause of the symptoms (eg Dental disease, poor diet, arthritis). The consultation should have involved a full discussion with the owners re the Rabbit's diet, a full Dental examination, a full abdominal examination, checking of ears/eyes/heart and lungs. Weighing the Rabbit, assessing the Rabbit's mobility to check for any signs of an arthritic condition. The pododermatitis (sore hocks) needed thorough examination, infection in the hocks can be extremely serious. Sore hocks are PAINFUL, no analgesia was prescribed. There was a fleeting mention of the risk of Flystrike but absolutely no advice given about steps the owner needed to take to try to minimise these risks.

Rabbits are the 3rd most popular domestic Pet in the UK, yet they are the most likely to suffer inappropriate care and/or neglect. I would have thought is was the responsibility of both CH4 and the PDSA to ensure that the correct information was given out regarding the health and welfare of a sentient being. A Rabbit who, being a prey species, will do everything within his/her power to hide pain.

Unless there was significant editing of what really did transpire during the consultation then frankly the owner may as well not have bothered to consult a Vet at all.

Finally, bathing a Rabbit, as was prescribed by the Vet in the consultation, is generally not advisable. The Rabbit can easily become hypothermic. But if it is absolutely essential for the Rabbit to be bathed then the owner should be advised to ensure that the Rabbit is 100% dry before being returned outdoors. If the bathing has to occur in cold weather the Rabbit needs to be housed indoors full time.

Some references for your information

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/dirtysticky-bottom/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CaecotrophAccumRabbit.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pain-management-rabbits/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/bathing-bunnies/

I await a response to my message

Jane ********

ETA- I have also messaged the RWAF

Last edited:
A Bunny was bought in with a very matted and mucky bum and sore hocks. The Vet just had a cursory look and prescribed a medicated shampoo to bath the Rabbit.

No discussion of what may be the primary cause of the mucky bum. No questions asked about the Rabbit's diet, only that the Rabbit felt 'skinny'. Rabbit not weighed, no dental examination, no abdominal examination, no check of heart lungs, ears, eyes.

The risk of Flystrike was briefly mentioned with no advice about what precautions could be taken to try to minimise the risk

No check of sore hocks- ie were they infected

No check that Rabbit was not exhibiting any mobility problems/pain that may indicate an arthritic condition.

Unless the Consult had been heavily edited and lots of things cut from what went out in the programme the Rabbit may just as well not have been taken to the Vet at all.

As well as emailing the programme Editor I am going to flag it up to the RWAF.

Thank Jane, sounds awful. Great message you have sent, let us know what they say xx

Back