• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lop ears

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Probably the silliest question I've asked on here but I genuinely don't know. Boo & Mouse are helicopter earred - they can both hold their ears upright if they choose

Do lop earred bunnies have any control over their ears, can they raise them at all? Can they get their toes in to remove wax? When they sleep do their ears remain down?

Thank You

Boots was lop eared, and whilst stroking him, he would raise one ear. Sometimes it would stay straight up for a few minutes after cuddling time was over :love: when he was asleep his ears would be wherever they flopped :love:

I don't think they can move their ears. I know lop ears are more prone to ear infections and wax buildup so I don't think they can remove it well neither. but I might be completely wrong lol.

the way ears work for bunnies is that you can imagine a piece of elastic connecting the ears. the tighter it is, the more they are uppy eared. if the elastic is loose, the more lop eared they are. helicopter bunnies are somewhere in between :lol:

Alfie was a helicopter bunny for the first few months but then the second ear lopped. He had control over both ears though and a good range of movement in them. He never suffered from dirty ears though but did have inner ear abscesses in the later stage of life; I don't know whether that's related to ear carriage though.

Bubbles had much less movement in her ears; she could hold them forward slightly but that was pretty much it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My mini lops could put their ears up, normally only one at a time tho [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lillian is a lop and I've not seen her move her ears to an upright position. She sort of folds then back to pick up noise and she can certainly whang her feetsies in to get the ear wax. When she sleeps, her ears are down. My bridge Bun Georgina was much the same and so was my first bridge bun Max.

Maples the only bun I've had that can helicopter her ears. When she's having a head rub one ear will pop up.

Dennis says his ears are up all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mine can’t hold his ears up at all.

Now that doesn't surprise me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lillian is a lop and I've not seen her move her ears to an upright position. She sort of folds then back to pick up noise and she can certainly whang her feetsies in to get the ear wax. When she sleeps, her ears are down. My bridge Bun Georgina was much the same and so was my first bridge bun Max.

That's good to hear - no pun intended

Last edited:
Maples the only bun I've had that can helicopter her ears. When she's having a head rub one ear will pop up.

Dennis says his ears are up all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Good boy Denns. I didn't know Syrupy was a helicopter earred bun :love:

Bailey can’t hold his ears up.. but he can move them swiftly back and forth when he knows I’m talking about him! :lol:

Bella on the other hand is quite the professional at holding one ear up, usually when she sees me! She never usually raises it around Martin, but if she spots me.. the ear goes up! So I always thought it was a defence mechanism for when she’s on edge or nervous! Martin on the other hand, thinks it’s Bella’s way of sticking a finger up at me! :lol: :lol:

Bailey can’t hold his ears up.. but he can move them swiftly back and forth when he knows I’m talking about him! :lol:

Bella on the other hand is quite the professional at holding one ear up, usually when she sees me! She never usually raises it around Martin, but if she spots me.. the ear goes up! So I always thought it was a defence mechanism for when she’s on edge or nervous! Martin on the other hand, thinks it’s Bella’s way of sticking a finger up at me! :lol: :lol:

:lol: Maybe its her way of waving hello

When Lopsy thinks he perceives something*, his ears swing forwards so he can't see as much :lol: He can hold one ear along his side for a bit, not truly back (like a normal bunny at rest) but not lopped either, but not much else. Aboleth's ears get very floppy if she's sleepy and having a really good headrub :love: They sort of swing forwards and down: here she is with one ear doing it:

12401888_10101835885439658_7299060168687727970_o.jpg

* I think a lot of it goes on in his mind :lol:

Back