• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Running away with forage

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Forage here is usually served at the corner of the two long runs. It can be at any time of the day and the rabbits are alerted to the event by the words "sup, sup, sup". Tui, of course being the younger and more sprightly rabbit, is always first to arrive at the food.

She has started to use the same method as that employed when she wishes to relocate mounds of hay. She hoovers up as much of the forage as she is able in her mouth and takes it half-way along one of the runs and starts to eat, presumably as she selfishly doesn't wish to share with her beloved one :shock: It's even funnier if the forage is a large whole plant, like yesterday when it was a whole Dwarf Mallow. The long tendrils were trailing behind her as she ran, coming from either side of her mouth :lol: She of course doesn't realise that depending where Tethra is approaching from, some of the time she is actually taking it closer to him :lol: Once he arrives, she makes no attempt to prevent him sharing.

Does anyone else's rabbit do this with forage?

Yes! Both of them, but more often than not Aboleth will pull something down (we poke things through the top of the run so it's more of a challenge) and then try and scarper with it, but as the 'feeding run' is only 5' long she doesn't get very far :lol: She did it with a 3' willow twig most recently :)

[emoji38] I don't think Tui's really been thinking that one through! Having said that, she is in competition with a notoriously greedy rex so probably just wants to give herself a head start.

Mine get their forage and herbs served up on a tray. Sometimes Fudgie grabs a mouthful and moves just a yard away to eat it. I think that's just to make sure she gets her fair share as Snoopy is a faster eater and does have a tendency to hoover it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji38] I don't think Tui's really been thinking that one through! Having said that, she is in competition with a notoriously greedy rex so probably just wants to give herself a head start.

Mine get their forage and herbs served up on a tray. Sometimes Fudgie grabs a mouthful and moves just a yard away to eat it. I think that's just to make sure she gets her fair share as Snoopy is a faster eater and does have a tendency to hoover it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A silver tray?

That would make an ace video Omi. Mine make me giggle when they drag a favourite branch away, they all do it. They often get to keep it all for themselves depending on whether they have the same favourites that day. Joey does not enjoy sharing

Yes, it's usually the girls who run away with it even though I always put 2 of everything in.

Ah, so is that because they feel inferior and therefore have to take their share when they can and before they get bullied or because they feel superior and therefore consider they deserve all of it for themselves ?:lol:

How can joey not enjoy sharing with the 2 gorgeous buns in his life?
'Hillian' tend to share, although lills loves her food so she makes sure she gets her share first.

Mine do this if it's something particularly tasty. If I give them an apple to share then one bunny will grab the entire thing and run away and hide, until bunny two finds them and steals the apple away for themselves, then bunny three finds them and it ends up a big cycle of three rabbits running around the garden trying to steal a full apple from the others. Cutting it up doesn't help :lol:

Clementine runs away with everything you give her [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Maple does this although she has no competition. "We call it parade laps" as she runs round in circles with her prize

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Archie does this. He grabs tasty bits and then runs and hides and eats it in a corner so Pip won't find it. Doesn't always work though, Pip is a much faster eater!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Back