• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Archie and Pip moving house......

Mervinius

Mama Doe
As promised a thread about my little monkeys moving house and taking us with them.....

We have now got the keys and are starting to do a bit if work. Moving in end of August! Yipeee

After advice on here we have decided to get laminate as Archie is too good at chewing carpet and we didn't want holes everywhere!!

I've got a couple of questions.

1. We think they'll have to be penned in for safety whilst we are at work. Does anyone put anything on top of the laminate in case of the odd mishap wee?

2. We are putting a scotia against the skirting, does anyone have this and do your buns chew it? Archie currently has only chewed the skirting twice in two years. He prefers our coffee table!

3. We need to get 3 baby gates, because it's open plan room. We have a mesh one, but Archie has started to chew it. Arghhh. It needs to be a pressure gate with a door. As they are both teeny, I know we'll have to attach metal mesh across the bars. Any recommendations?

As you can see Pip is an angel. Well except she is the naughty protest pee princess!!!

612decd6eacfb83dd4023f5fd8f9ba6a.jpg
8e428f807564371699d538c289a8955f.jpg
ac3a62c173a4bb6af5fff7daefec6597.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hello Archie and Pippy Longstockings,
A thread I might actually be able to help with for once.

So scotia we have pine. No teeth marks detected in either skirting board or scotia. But just in case - pine scotia.

Laminate flooring - I have textured non slip for bunny room. It was brand new in feb and has been totally wrecked. Wee wee spillages and water knocked over by zooms. I would get a cheap one with no seams. So mine have gaps to look like floorboards and I can see the laminate starting to bubble from all the water. So you need non slip but small gaps between.

Gate - I have baby gate with NIC grid cable tied to the OUTSIDE. I opted for metal grid at the bottom in the event of a cheeky taste test. The reason it's on the outside is because buns climb. I have extended the grid up above the gate to stop buns being able to jump over. Toby cleared a previous stair gate with only two tiers nic grid higher and I came home from work to find he had peed allover the sofa and was on the window seal sploofing in the lounge.

My advice would be (and your probably not as nutty as me) but...

Starting from fresh I would rabbit proof your whole house. You never know where or when bunnies might end up. No wires any where. Do not give an inch. Bunnies take a thousand miles. Bunny lock down. I have no doors upstairs in my house - just baby gates and grids. When making new bunny room think about sockets for fan air con etc. I didn't think about that and now have extension leads and fans every where.

Also buy them a chaise. A french vintage style chaise. Buy a bell. Buy a bell they can ring for the hooman nom butler.
fc45df72ac934e123b2424ab54d0eadf.jpg

A Lord of the mannor should not be seated upon cardboard.
Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
bd5761a6b070b33327db5582644dfdf2.jpg
3e94c1c55e799610e9d4e2388697cd65.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Archie and Pippy Longstockings,
A thread I might actually be able to help with for once.

So scotia we have pine. No teeth marks detected in either skirting board or scotia. But just in case - pine scotia.

Laminate flooring - I have textured non slip for bunny room. It was brand new in feb and has been totally wrecked. Wee wee spillages and water knocked over by zooms. I would get a cheap one with no seams. So mine have gaps to look like floorboards and I can see the laminate starting to bubble from all the water. So you need non slip but small gaps between.

Gate - I have baby gate with NIC grid cable tied to the OUTSIDE. I opted for metal grid at the bottom in the event of a cheeky taste test. The reason it's on the outside is because buns climb. I have extended the grid up above the gate to stop buns being able to jump over. Toby cleared a previous stair gate with only two tiers nic grid higher and I came home from work to find he had peed allover the sofa and was on the window seal sploofing in the lounge.

My advice would be (and your probably not as nutty as me) but...

Starting from fresh I would rabbit proof your whole house. You never know where or when bunnies might end up. No wires any where. Do not give an inch. Bunnies take a thousand miles. Bunny lock down. I have no doors upstairs in my house - just baby gates and grids. When making new bunny room think about sockets for fan air con etc. I didn't think about that and now have extension leads and fans every where.

Also buy them a chaise. A french vintage style chaise. Buy a bell. Buy a bell they can ring for the hooman nom butler.
fc45df72ac934e123b2424ab54d0eadf.jpg

A Lord of the mannor should not be seated upon cardboard.
bd5761a6b070b33327db5582644dfdf2.jpg
3e94c1c55e799610e9d4e2388697cd65.jpg

Lord Archie quite agrees he should not be sat on cardboard and he has requested a chaise for his birthday....

Yes we are getting pine scotia, but are going to paint it white. Buns won't have access to this without supervision though. So hoping this will be ok.

Hmmm laminate. Ok well Pip does like to do errant pees. So might have to leave lino down in their pen to protect the floor. She has never peed anywhere else though. Just when they get put away at night. Laminate is a bit textured so hoping it's not too slippy. But planning to get a big rug for the middle of the room.

*Trying to convince OH that they can be free reign in the living room. But he wants evidence they can be good first. Lol

Yes that's what we are thinking for the baby gate. Just not sure what ones to buy. Shame no one makes a bunny one. Maybe MPH would make something?

Yeah we are going to make it as bun proof as we can. We are trying to think like a bun. Lol. Cables will definitively all be in trunking.

Do you think Lord Archie would like this?
3ed1b19143d77d7065be141865a53092.jpg

Last edited:
Lord Archie quite agrees he should not be sat on cardboard and he has requested a chaise for his birthday....

Yes we are getting pine scotia, but are going to paint it white. Buns won't have access to this without supervision though. So hoping this will be ok.

Hmmm laminate. Ok well Pip does like to do errant pees. So might have to leave lino down in their pen to protect the floor. She has never peed anywhere else though. Just when they get put away at night. Laminate is a bit textured so hoping it's not too slippy. But planning to get a big rug for the middle of the room.

*Trying to convince OH that they can be free reign in the living room. But he wants evidence they can be good first. Lol

Yes that's what we are thinking for the baby gate. Just not sure what ones to buy. Shame no one makes a bunny one. Maybe MPH would make something?

Yeah we are going to make it as bun proof as we can. We are trying to think like a bun. Lol. Cables will definitively all be in trunking.

Do you think Lord Archie would like this?
3ed1b19143d77d7065be141865a53092.jpg
I think that is a bloody spendid seat for master Archie!

I think that is a bloody spendid seat for master Archie!

Archie is a bit concerned Lady Pip might steal it.

And look. MPH do make them.....I think i'd have to get the gaps made smaller. Or they make a polycarbonate one, but OH is worried Archie will jump forward not realising there's plastic in his way.

What do you think?
5fd46d32a8fe9a8393ea7514f339d71e.jpg

Archie is a bit concerned Lady Pip might steal it.

And look. MPH do make them.....I think i'd have to get the gaps made smaller. Or they make a polycarbonate one, but OH is worried Archie will jump forward not realising there's plastic in his way.

What do you think?
5fd46d32a8fe9a8393ea7514f339d71e.jpg

My bunny safety risk assessment brain is tingling and thinking that if Toby tried to get over that gate he would hurt himself on the points. Could be ouchy? Are they active buns?

One idea we had was to cut the door in half to create a stable door? Or make one your self from pine?

My bunny safety risk assessment brain is tingling and thinking that if Toby tried to get over that gate he would hurt himself on the points. Could be ouchy? Are they active buns?

One idea we had was to cut the door in half to create a stable door? Or make one your self from pine?

My bunny risk assessment brain was not keen on the spikes either. They are both very active but have never tried to get over the current gate. I'm wondering if we can make our own with narrow gaps and no spikes? I think it would look nicer than a metal gate.

My bunny risk assessment brain was not keen on the spikes either. They are both very active but have never tried to get over the current gate. I'm wondering if we can make our own with narrow gaps and no spikes? I think it would look nicer than a metal gate.

I think do it! It will be cheaper too and you can have it exactly how you want it

Can't wait to see the new bunny room. Congratulations Archie and Pippy!

Cuthbert and Dillon have their run on laminate. I have put Visqueen on the top as it is textured for running on and water proof. It has been down nearly a year and only has one or two chew marks in it. Periodically I lift it out and hose it down over the washing line. Unfortunately it is bright orange but the boys dont seem to mind.

Good luck on the house move Pip & Archie. I hope you enjoy your new surroundings. I'm afraid I really have no advice about floors and starirgates. Our house is carpets (it came that way) and whilst I'd love to have laminate, the O/H is very much against it. Can't ait to see the photos of the new surroundings and btw, the photos above are just truly delightful. Oh, and yes, His royal sploofness Sir Toby of sploofalot would certainly be very at home on that Chaise. He just needs a crown.

We don’t put anything down on top of the laminate, although neither of my current house bunny or previous bridge bunny really had many wee accidents. However, I’ve spilt plenty of water on it over the years, and it’s still fine. We’ve got one with texture and grooves around to look like wood floor. When you buy your laminate make sure it’s good quality thick laminate top layer, the edges are sealed and it’s suitable for kitchen use and it will be fine.

We haven’t got scotia so I don’t know about that.

Stair gate- I’ve got a wood framed plastic mesh extending dog one from Argos, it looks good and it’s strong, no bunny tried chewing it though!

good luck on the move! for the baby gate issue, as my mini rex can shove his fat butt through :lol: I have attached a spare puppy panel with zip ties. C&C/office grids might be of use too.

I have nothing useful to contribute but just wanted to say A & P are adorable :love: That face when he's sploofing! Looking forward to pics of the new place and Archie in his new seat!

Cuthbert and Dillon have their run on laminate. I have put Visqueen on the top as it is textured for running on and water proof. It has been down nearly a year and only has one or two chew marks in it. Periodically I lift it out and hose it down over the washing line. Unfortunately it is bright orange but the boys dont seem to mind.
Oooh what's visqueen?

Going to have a chat with my Dad to see if we can build the gates together:)

Thanks everyone else for the good wishes. It's very exciting. Really must start packing!

Zoobec- it's not a kitchen one so need to be careful of errant wees and water.

Will definitely post some pictures of our progress

Last edited:
Went to Ikea this evening and found lots of fabulous things. Trying to pick furniture the buns won't/cant chew!

Also after being inspired on here I've decided to treat the buns to a moving in gift....

I hope they don t fight over it...
91a4a8508557c5b99175c0b75ad3942a.jpg

Have you considered textured wood affect vinyl? Cheap, no cracks, warm and sound proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone else for the good wishes. It's very exciting. Really must start packing!

If it’s not a kitchen or bathroom proof laminate it will be wrecked within weeks. The tiniest spill of water will raise the laminate and the bunnies will chew it. Sorry but want to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to Ikea this evening and found lots of fabulous things. Trying to pick furniture the buns won't/cant chew!

Also after being inspired on here I've decided to treat the buns to a moving in gift....

I hope they don t fight over it...
91a4a8508557c5b99175c0b75ad3942a.jpg

Wahoo! Welcome to the ikea bed club

I would see if you could exchange it if I was you. It’s far less durable and if you spill anything on it it will likely damage it. If you can exchange it then you won’t need to worry about putting anything on top of it.

Back