• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunny does'nt like my dad for some reason

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
my bunny let's me and everyone else pick her up but even the sight of my dad makes her run away, he does have to shove her downstairs sometimes when he cleans the hutch so I was wondering maybe that was it, he picked her up twice when we first bought her and seemed to do it right and whenever I put her on his lap she always bites him, maybe she dont like the smell of him?

Hi

Is your Dad quite tall? Only asking that as rabbits are prey animals so obviously anything very big could make her be a bit scared. Does she let other men pick her up? I've had this with small dogs before with my Dad, one foster, a little 7 month old jack russel, wouldn't let my Dad near her and growled at him when she was on my bed!

Is she an indoor or outdoor bunny? It might be that 'shoving' her downstairs has caused some bad feeling there, mayb when being cleaned out somebody could hold her as they generally don't like loud noises etc.

How old is your bunny? She might have had a bad experience when she was little with men that are similar to your Dad. I'd encourage your Dad not to try picking her up at the mo, as this will make her more wary, and to gradually start offering her treats or something she likes, sit on the floor with her and do it slowly. Let her come up to your Dad, once she realises he is no threat she will be happier. Build up the time and progress onto stroking etc. It is probably fear that is making her bite, it can take a while with these things but worth it in the end. Main thing is not to rush really and do things at rabbits pace.

My girls love my Dad cos whenever they see him coming they know a treat is imminent!!lol Dad's are just no good for bunnies diets!

I hope your Dad and your bunny become better friends soon.

Nicola

When I had Mopsy she hated men that was just the way she was. Ollie love my dad as that = treats I have to hide them so he does not get too many. I stop buying them as I wanted Ollie to have dried fruit my dad was just passing pets at home and just nip in for 3 boxers of treats.

Hi there!!

My bunny The Fonz doesn't like any men at all! It's very odd! She hates my dad, my fiance, my friend James and the Vet (who's a bloke!), but she's perfect with me, my mum, my nanna and the vet nurse (who's a lady!)! It's all very odd! :?

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Haha, this is classical. Every rabbit I have ever owned has hated my dad!! :lol: (Except Toby who gets on with anyone) Maybe male humans look mean and big to rabbits :rabbit2:

nicolar said:
Hi

Is your Dad quite tall? Only asking that as rabbits are prey animals so obviously anything very big could make her be a bit scared. Does she let other men pick her up? I've had this with small dogs before with my Dad, one foster, a little 7 month old jack russel, wouldn't let my Dad near her and growled at him when she was on my bed!

Is she an indoor or outdoor bunny? It might be that 'shoving' her downstairs has caused some bad feeling there, mayb when being cleaned out somebody could hold her as they generally don't like loud noises etc.

How old is your bunny? She might have had a bad experience when she was little with men that are similar to your Dad. I'd encourage your Dad not to try picking her up at the mo, as this will make her more wary, and to gradually start offering her treats or something she likes, sit on the floor with her and do it slowly. Let her come up to your Dad, once she realises he is no threat she will be happier. Build up the time and progress onto stroking etc. It is probably fear that is making her bite, it can take a while with these things but worth it in the end. Main thing is not to rush really and do things at rabbits pace.

My girls love my Dad cos whenever they see him coming they know a treat is imminent!!lol Dad's are just no good for bunnies diets!

I hope your Dad and your bunny become better friends soon.

Nicola

my dads about 5"10 so only 3 inches taller then me, shes in the garage so shes a indoor bunny but we dont let her run in the house but i would if my mum would let me thanks for the tip about the treats ill try that but Ill have to be careful cos she gets the trots really easily

Back