• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could I have some post spay vibes please

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
I had Luna spayed today, it went well and she came home at 6pm but has not eaten anything yet except 1 pellet she had when she first got back :(

She has been drinking water with added ProC probiotic. The vet said she was eating there but to give it 4 hours before taking her back in. I've tried tempting her with hay, plantain and even treats but there's zero interest, I shall persevere!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I had Luna spayed today, it went well and she came home at 6pm but has not eaten anything yet except 1 pellet she had when she first got back :(

She has been drinking water with added ProC probiotic. The vet said she was eating there but to give it 4 hours before taking her back in. I've tried tempting her with hay, plantain and even treats but there's zero interest, I shall persevere!

Good luck Leanne. It's often the way with these ladies who've had the op.

You could syringe feed her this evening if she really won't take anything? I did that for my little Madam, and even though it was summer I still gave her a heat pad in case she wanted it.

Do you have Metacam? When is your post-op check up?

Give her more time - have you got anything she really likes although they seem to prefer grass or Dandelion leaves at this time. She needs to rest tonight.

I have heated up a pod as anxious me feels like her ears feel cooler to the touch but can I use it as she's not really moving just shuffling if she does and she's got a bald belly although the pod does have a cover on it.

The Metacam is for tomorrow and her checkup is Sunday. I'm reluctant to syringe feed her as don't want to hurt her tummy

She's also keeping one eye closed which is wet as well, will this just be where she's been lay on it when put under do u think?

Thanks Tonibun, I picked some grass and she did have a nibble, only maybe 3 or 4 strands though :( just off to shop as have no rabbit leafage in the house. I know this is going to mess with her cecal problem but I'm getting worried

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8c2n92N9bP6zc2xYA

Poor luna :( have you offered her veggies and herbs? That's all my two would really eat, two days later one has started eating hay, sending loads of vibes xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back from shop. Shown no interest in mint, parsley, kale, watercress, spinach or rocket but had a small nibble from the romaine lettuce and stuck her head back down.

Shall I turn the light off and leave her alone for a bit? Is it just tiredness?

Although I've had boys neutered before I've never dealt with a post spay bunny

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rt6BkprFaDwMDVJWA

Back from shop. Shown no interest in mint, parsley, kale, watercress, spinach or rocket but had a small nibble from the romaine lettuce and stuck her head back down.

Shall I turn the light off and leave her alone for a bit? Is it just tiredness?

Although I've had boys neutered before I've never dealt with a post spay bunny

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rt6BkprFaDwMDVJWA
Yea she's probably very sleepy, I'd let her chill out for a bit, and if she's still not eaten or passed anything, I'd start syringe feeding her xx

I have heated up a pod as anxious me feels like her ears feel cooler to the touch but can I use it as she's not really moving just shuffling if she does and she's got a bald belly although the pod does have a cover on it.

The Metacam is for tomorrow and her checkup is Sunday. I'm reluctant to syringe feed her as don't want to hurt her tummy

She's also keeping one eye closed which is wet as well, will this just be where she's been lay on it when put under do u think?

Thanks Tonibun, I picked some grass and she did have a nibble, only maybe 3 or 4 strands though :( just off to shop as have no rabbit leafage in the house. I know this is going to mess with her cecal problem but I'm getting worried

I know what you mean, but you need to keep her guts moving ...
I hope she eats for herself if you really don't feel you want to syringe feed.

Overnight vibes from me - I would ring the vet first thing in the morning if there's no progress xx

I hope that Luna is feeling brighter this morning and that she has passed some poo overnight. If she has not done so and/or if she is still refusing all food I'd give the Vet a call. Luna may need some more gut motility stimulants and additional supportive feeding to get her GI tract moving again.

Re her eye. A lubricant should have been applied to her eyes prior to the GA to prevent any irritation to the cornea once Bunny is asleep and unable to blink. Some Rabbits may react to the preservative in the lubricant used. If her eye still looks inflamed and watery this morning then the Vet needs to know about this too. It usually resolves within 24-36 hours, but sometimes some topical eye drops are needed.

Sending more vibes for her x

Right. I think we need to get all these bunnies that aren't eating properly together for a little team meeting! Come on everybun, let's start nomming.

Someone advised plantain and dandies for me to get buns eating again. It worked for maple post spay.

Lots of recovery vibes for Luna. I hope you see a big improvement today xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Right. I think we need to get all these bunnies that aren't eating properly together for a little team meeting! Come on everybun, let's start nomming.

Someone advised plantain and dandies for me to get buns eating again. It worked for maple post spay.

Lots of recovery vibes for Luna. I hope you see a big improvement today xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Yea, altho... Letting them plan together... Risky! [emoji38] My two are so naughty [emoji38]

Sending loads of vibes for Luna. My recent experience with Tui was very similar to others who have posted. She wouldn't eat anything until about 3am and then she started eating some Kale. After that it was only fresh green food that she would eat during the next day.

Sending lots of vibes for her. I hope she's starting to feel a bit better now.

It's been a rough night :(

No poop yet, I've been replacing veg overnight but just nibbles here and there. Just given her Metacam and some grass which she's currently eating but had to pop out.

Her eyes still closed and is wet and red and her belly looks okay but really warm to touch and she's still lying in the same spot poor girl.

The vets open up soon, should I deal with the one who did the spay who's 30 mins away or ring my local and see of they can take her care on - just thinking about if they want to keep her in?

No poop yet, I've been replacing veg overnight but just nibbles here and there. Just given her Metacam and some grass which she's currently eating but had to pop out.

Her eyes still closed and is wet and red and her belly looks okay but really warm to touch and she's still lying in the same spot poor girl.

The vets open up soon, should I deal with the one who did the spay who's 30 mins away or ring my local and see of they can take her care on - just thinking about if they want to keep her in?

Initially you will need to contact the Vet who spayed her. I am sorry to hear that she has not improved much overnight. It sounds as though she does now require additional gut motility meds and syringe feeds. If her wound feels very warm this needs a Vet check too. As does her sore eye.

Initially you will need to contact the Vet who spayed her. I am sorry to hear that she has not improved much overnight. It sounds as though she does now require additional gut motility meds and syringe feeds. If her wound feels very warm this needs a Vet check too. As does her sore eye.

I agree with JJ. Sending lots of vibes from me too xx

Hi Leanne

As I mentioned yesterday, if there was no improvement overnight, you should call the vet first thing today and see what they say. Ring the one who did the spay and ask about her condition. If they want to keep her in, then suggest to them that they transfer care to your local vet. They may want to give fluids and gut motility meds to help her.

All that said, my little doe went three days without eating on her own so try not to worry.

Did you manage to syringe feed her at all? xx

I really feel for you, nursing a bunny post spay can be gruelling, especially when they're not eating. I agree with Jane that you may need to start syringe feeds soon. My bunny had to be syringe fed as she didn't eat for herself for the first couple of days after she was done. You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place because you need to keep their guts moving but you're so worried about hurting their tummies when you have to pick them up for the feeds.

Lots of vibes for Luna, I really hope she starts to feel better soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back