• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Get out of jail - pleeeeeease!

lindac

Warren Scout
When I was a young child (about 12), i discovered that the farm near my parents house were selling 'oven ready rabbits' :-(

So, i took it upon myself to find the rabbits and set them free. One winter evening after school, I crept into the farmyard from the neighboring churchyard, had a look around all the barns and found the one the rabbits were kept in. There were loads and loads of them...I undid all the cages and placed the bunnies on the floor in the yard hoping they would run away, but they didn't they just kinda sat around or hopped just a few yards. Some even ran back into the barn where their cages were :-(

In the end it was I who had to leg it as the farm dog started creating and the farmer came to investigate.

I thought I had got away with it until the next day when the farmer came round to see my parents and tell them of my little exploit. My mum (god bless her) told the farmer that I was indoors at the time, so it couldn't possibly have been me! 8) I think my mother was thinking about any possible compensation she may have been liable for!

I did get punished though, but better to receive punishment from my mum and dad than an angry farmer.

that reminds me of when my parents decided to give us rabbit pie and told us it was chicken. After the meal they admitted it was rabbit and I got paniciky because I could not see my rabbit that was in the garden.

The little terror (his nickname was bloodhound) was hiding from us and I made my parents help me find him.

i have never ever tasted rabbit, i really dont want to either.

reminds me of my french friend who lives in paris, she had a pet rabbit, her rural old traditional french gran went to stay with her and...well..made a rabbit stew as a 'surprise' for her grand-daughter whilst she was out at work :-(

I've eaten rabbit. My mum used to cook it a lot when I was a kiddie. It smells evil as it cooks, but it tastes quite nice. :oops:

But I make a distinction between people's pets and food. I don't find it funny when people immediately make jokes about killing and eating my pets, just as I worked with someone who didn't find the constant jokes about turning her horse into glue as hilarious as the people making them. I don't get why certain animals are seen as 'fair game' to make gags about. I'm not constantly making 'jokes' about selling friends pet dogs off to Vietnamese restaurants and it really annoys me to have to constantly deal with these people and their hilarious sense of humour. :evil:

Anyway, rant over. I'll put my soap box away now.

agreed

i have had a couple of people at work make some horrid comments about Dubbs. *insert swear words*

:x

lindac said:
ireminds me of my french friend who lives in paris, she had a pet rabbit, her rural old traditional french gran went to stay with her and...well..made a rabbit stew as a 'surprise' for her grand-daughter whilst she was out at work :-(

Ohmigod how horrific would that be! That's made me feel quite ill. The poor girl, coming home to her beloved pet and finding it in the pot. Ooh, I need to go home and cuddle my buns and make sure they're ok.

Oooh! Thank goodness I'm veggie, too!! :eek: My nanna and her sister were bought a rabbit when they were younger (must have been some time in the late '30s, early '40s) and they looked after it until they basically got bored of it. Because they weren't looking after their bun as they should have been doing, my great-grandad, er, cooked it!! :(

I'm not a vegetarian but I love some of the vegetarian food! It's not all just plain veggies. Vegetarian chilli is excellent specially with big chunky bits of mushroom in mmmmmmmmmmm.........

I had a lovely vegatarian pasta the other day, yummm.

Vegetarian meets not eating things made from animals not that you just eating vegetables :)

Tam

Hiya I am new, :D

I am a vegetarian too, have been since I was about ten years old (I am 28 now). Vegetarian food is a lot better now then what it was nearly 20 years ago. As soon as I was old enough to realise that meat was from animals I refused to eat it and haven't touched it since. You do have to be very careful with what you eat it is surprising that even some chocolate trifles come with pork gelatine in, Yuk.

ollie wouldnt fit in a pie thank god, no1 would wanna eat her anyways horror bags she is ! :lol:

Bertie said:
I don't find it funny when people immediately make jokes about killing and eating my pets,

I'm not constantly making 'jokes' about selling friends pet dogs off to Vietnamese restaurants and it really annoys me to have to constantly deal with these people and their hilarious sense of humour. :evil:

Anyway, rant over. I'll put my soap box away now.

OMG THATS SOOO TRUEEEEEEEEEEEE

i even had one mate send me a photo of him with rabbits he had shot... he thought he was hilariou ?? just dont get it meself...

Haggis&Pickles would lick anyone b4 getting eaten!

My 2 gorg bun,s would just lick you to death 1rst b4 you got a chance to even think such nasty thoughts as "rabbit stew"Yuck,and vegeterain food can be VERY tasty,especially fresh made and not all that ready meal stuff,as thats were they manage to slip in stuff that aint veggie!!!!!!!!

I must admit I was going to change Pie & Mash's names because I kept getting an image of rabbit pie in my head.

There are some animals I just couldn't eat like rabbit, duck, pigeon, venison and veal.

Years ago my grandad had been abroad and brought back some horse meat - he never told anyone what it was until they had eaten it. My mum was almost sick.

he also brought back a tin of sparrows - how gross is that :!: :!:

Anyway I know that Aggie wouldn't make a good pie - her bum is always needing cleaned and I don't think people would appreciate the extra flavouring.

lol Pam

It is a bit mean but then wild rabbits are a staple part of peoples food and have been for centuries, not a nice thought and I certainly wouldnt choose to eat them.

Im the same as you KimBun, I wouldnt be able to eat things such as deer, horse etc etc but then its just what youve been brought up eating really. People eat different meats and animals in different countries, cant remember which one it is but some eat guinea pigs! Now to me that just sounds mean.

We have an osterich farm near our home and my dad has had osterich steak a couple of times, I dont think I could bring myself to eat it as I just dont think of them as food, they are things you go to the zoo to see, not a supermarket to buy!

My boyfriend has threatened to put Barney in a pie if he eats one more wall/sofa/lead/game controller. I know hes only joking and wouldnt dream of it really but just thinking about someone eating my pet is really sad.

Stacey X

Stacey said:
cant remember which one it is but some eat guinea pigs! Now to me that just sounds mean.

Peru. Our vet is half Scottish, half Peruvian, she has three lovely piggies and she adores them. She also has two special needs buns and she's allergic to their fur, but she loves them too.

When she was studying in Peru, the students had to find their own animals to practice on, the learning places didn't supply any. She didn't like this aspect at all, but it is a way of life over there. Vets are classed as lowly workers, pretty much run of the mill and looked down upon. All Peruvian parents seem to want their children to choose a career as a Doctor which is looked upon much more favourably.

bunnyhuggger said:
Stacey said:
cant remember which one it is but some eat guinea pigs! Now to me that just sounds mean.

Peru. All Peruvian parents seem to want their children to choose a career as a Doctor which is looked upon much more favourably.

I bet their patients are happier too - unless the doctors also eat them :shock:

lol Pam

Back