• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you feed 'the Greens'?

MightyMax

Banned
I wonder when you feed your rabbits their veg and forage?

Is it once a day, or more than once? And morning or evening?

I wonder when you feed your rabbits their veg and forage?

Is it once a day, or more than once? And morning or evening?
Evening, I do pellets for breakfast and forage and veggies for tea - and I do the huge hay top up at night too as I have more time

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My buns get breakfast greens when I get up and a small top up of their pellets) and then evening nomms - greens and occasionally a handful of kale and very occasionally a few leaves of spinach and a few chunks of carrots, at about 7 or 8pm along with pellet top up. Hay is always there for them to have and they tend to forage when they are outside on what is left of the crispy baked lawn.

Open for breakfast 6.30am:
Hay, forage, meds

Lunch service 12.30pm:
Plantain, fresh noms

Dinner service 7-8pm:
Hay, forage

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Open for breakfast 6.30pm:
Hay, forage, meds

Lunch service 12.30pm:
Plantain, fresh noms

Dinner service 7-8pm:
Hay, forage

This made me giggle!

So I feed veg every evening when I do the final rounds. Some will also need water and hay. I never used to feed veg every day but certain neighbours started giving me bits and together with what I bought, it turned into a daily routine. Now they expect it!

On normal working days I give them veg and pellets in the morning, hay if needed, and then a smaller portion again in the evening. If I'm working from home or not at work I only give veg once a day at lunchtime to mix their routine up a bit. My vet once told me it's good to mix up the routine where possible as they know when to expect certain foods so they won't eat their hay in anticipation. For one of mine this led to dental issues. Doesn't surprise me that they work these things out, they're smarter than a lot of people give them credit for!

Well it possibly won't surprise people to know that feeding times are a bit disorganised here:lol:

They always get their small amount of pellets in the evening and a bunch of tree sticks/leaves to have overnight. Other than that they get a collection of garden forage early morning and more during the day, especially when I've been weeding :) It probably always amounts to the same quantity of forage/greens during a 24 hour period, but not at specific times.

Evening, I do pellets for breakfast and forage and veggies for tea - and I do the huge hay top up at night too as I have more time

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

This is what I do. I don't feed snacks or treats between meals though. Not even veg!!

My buns get breakfast greens when I get up and a small top up of their pellets) and then evening nomms - greens and occasionally a handful of kale and very occasionally a few leaves of spinach and a few chunks of carrots, at about 7 or 8pm along with pellet top up. Hay is always there for them to have and they tend to forage when they are outside on what is left of the crispy baked lawn.

So pellets and greens at each meal?

I find this interesting, as I have boarders who are used to different regimes and I have to make sure I do it 'their way' as mine have got used to their own :lol:

Hay, forage, meds

Lunch service 12.30pm:
Plantain, fresh noms

Dinner service 7-8pm:
Hay, forage

:lol: Do they put the order in with their waiter the night before, or are they served 'seasonal veg'? :)

Your buns are all pellet free?

I tend to alternate. It's either pellets for breakfast, fresh for tea, or the other way around. Sometimes they may get a treat during the day, sometimes not. Hay is usually topped up in huge quantities in the evening and/or when cleaning out. Readigrass gets scattered in runs (or as a hay topper for the indoor guys) about once a fortnight.

Hay, forage, meds

Lunch service 12.30pm:
Plantain, fresh noms

Dinner service 7-8pm:
Hay, forage

Breakfast so late?! ;)

This made me giggle!

So I feed veg every evening when I do the final rounds. Some will also need water and hay. I never used to feed veg every day but certain neighbours started giving me bits and together with what I bought, it turned into a daily routine. Now they expect it!

I quickly create food monsters if I do things like that :lol:

8am breakfast - fresh forage
8am - 10am - litter change so fresh hay with dried forage mixed in
12 noon fresh forage
4pm -5.30 fresh forage
8pm fresh forage
11pm fresh forage
Midnight - nuggets & hay top up

On normal working days I give them veg and pellets in the morning, hay if needed, and then a smaller portion again in the evening. If I'm working from home or not at work I only give veg once a day at lunchtime to mix their routine up a bit. My vet once told me it's good to mix up the routine where possible as they know when to expect certain foods so they won't eat their hay in anticipation. For one of mine this led to dental issues. Doesn't surprise me that they work these things out, they're smarter than a lot of people give them credit for!

Absolutely smart Orenoko!

That's a interesting thought. My buns don't have set times for their food. It can depend on my fluctuating work schedule. They always get the same amount, but the timings can be variable. So if their supper or breakfast isn't on time, they have a bowl of hay and seem glad to tuck into that whilst waiting :)

Well it possibly won't surprise people to know that feeding times are a bit disorganised here:lol:

They always get their small amount of pellets in the evening and a bunch of tree sticks/leaves to have overnight. Other than that they get a collection of garden forage early morning and more during the day, especially when I've been weeding :) It probably always amounts to the same quantity of forage/greens during a 24 hour period, but not at specific times.

Snap!

I was wondering how many buns got 'extras' during the day.
I was weeding yesterday and meanie-bags that I am, I saved it for their supper time!

8am breakfast - fresh forage
8am - 10am - litter change so fresh hay with dried forage mixed in
12 noon fresh forage
4pm -5.30 fresh forage
8pm fresh forage
11pm fresh forage
Midnight - nuggets & hay top up

Daytime grazers :D

I know it's natural in the wild for rabbits to graze on plants all day.

I suppose I prefer to monitor their green intake and make sure they eat plenty of hay.
Grass they have no trouble gobbling up at any time of day!

Is it more beneficial do people think to let rabbits graze on forage during the day, or restricted it to 'meal times'?

Daytime grazers :D

I know it's natural in the wild for rabbits to graze on plants all day.

I suppose I prefer to monitor their green intake and make sure they eat plenty of hay.
Grass they have no trouble gobbling up at any time of day!

Is it more beneficial do people think to let rabbits graze on forage during the day, or restricted it to 'meal times'?

I think its better to let them graze all day as its more akin to what they would do in the wild & their digestive systems are suited to this. Boo & mouse pig out on forage but Joe always has a moderate amount & then hay for pudding. None of my bunnies go to the toilet without sticking round to munch hay - I can see it go down in quantity too . I'm lucky in that 6 days days of the week I'm about to monitor then quite closely, Bob does a pretty good job of it too

Weekdays: 07:30 Matt goes and gives them last night's bramble sticks to chew. 17:30 he comes home with whatever's in season. 21:30 pellets and bramble over the run (hence why there's sticks left!).

Weekends: brambles when we get up, followed by forage when Matt goes out for it, usually late morning. Sometimes a run on the lawn. Pellets at our bedtime with bramble as usual :)

If Matt's away and it's just me looking after them, it depends on when I have time. When we get someone in, they can feed forage whenever it's convenient!

On the benefit front, I find Aboleth will get bored of what's on offer after a while and go for hay anyway. Lopsy will eat whatever's closest (in general), so when he goes to the litter tray, he's got some hay going in :)

ETA sleeping habits: the bunnies are asleep most of the day between feeds!

[emoji38] Do they put the order in with their waiter the night before, or are they served 'seasonal veg'? :)

Usually seasonal and what's on the specials menu.

This week's special is crispy hogweed

[emoji38] Do they put the order in with their waiter the night before, or are they served 'seasonal veg'? :)

Usually seasonal and what's on the specials menu.

This week's special is crispy hogweed

Back