• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued a toad :)

Graciee

Staff member
He/she was so cute [emoji7] didn't want the toad to get run over as it was out the front, so scooped it up and put it at the bottom near the compost heap, there's no fence through to next door and they have a pond so hopefully Egbert will be okay :)
57a34404821c0d3de434506deebcc27a.jpg
338506bdb3822cebfb6a398f40bb5b7f.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Awwwwwwww..... I love frogs and toads. Sniggering at the name. [emoji38]
I've never seen one before in real life :D Egbert suited the toad ;) Egbert Toadington in full [emoji38]

He/she was so cute [emoji7] didn't want the toad to get run over as it was out the front, so scooped it up and put it at the bottom near the compost heap, there's no fence through to next door and they have a pond so hopefully Egbert will be okay :)
57a34404821c0d3de434506deebcc27a.jpg
338506bdb3822cebfb6a398f40bb5b7f.jpg

Fresh from his West End performance in Wind in the Willows!

He's gorgeous :love:

He is lovely :love: I’ve always loved toads. Years ago, my grandad found a toad in his greenhouse. He kept putting him outside, thinking he was stuck in there, but he kept reappearing :love:it was mostly soil with a path in the middle so he must have liked it in there. we put a terracotta plantpot saucer of water in and some stones for him to hide under, and he was often to be seen in there if you looked for him :love:

Toads don't really need to be in a pond all the the time .They like being in dampish foliage etc.Great slug and snail dispatcher too.Though in this this weather a little extra water will be welcome.

Toads don't really need to be in a pond all the the time .They like being in dampish foliage etc.Great slug and snail dispatcher too.Though in this this weather a little extra water will be welcome.
Yea I think they only go to the water to breed?

We didn't put him in the pond just in the compost heap at the bottom, lots of damp soil and stuff and a route through to the pond if he wants - better than being on the road anyway I hope :)

Yea I think they only go to the water to breed?

We didn't put him in the pond just in the compost heap at the bottom, lots of damp soil and stuff and a route through to the pond if he wants - better than being on the road anyway I hope :)

I’m sure he will be very happy there :thumb:

I had something jump onto my shoe last night from the dense and damp foliage but it was too dark for me to see whether it was a frog or toad, but it was certainly big!

The only time I've ever seen a toad was one that used to live under our old shed. So definitely didn't need to be near water (unless you count our water butt!).

The only time I've ever seen a toad was one that used to live under our old shed. So definitely didn't need to be near water (unless you count our water butt!).

It's the second frog/toad I've had in my garden this summer and no-one around has any water or ponds .. I wonder what they were - it was very dark so I couldn't tell. The second one was huge though .. I don't know if that distinguishes them?

I can't stop looking at the photos. So cute! The toad I had in my garden was brown. I love how green he is.

One of the differences between frogs and toads is that a frog jumps, but a toad usually crawls. Toads also have warty skins. They do not need to be in a pond for most of the year, but both frogs and toads will attempt to return to the pond where they were born to mate in the spring.

One of the differences between frogs and toads is that a frog jumps, but a toad usually crawls. Toads also have warty skins. They do not need to be in a pond for most of the year, but both frogs and toads will attempt to return to the pond where they were born to mate in the spring.
Yea Egbert kinda walked but I saw him hop a few times but mainly it was like a weird crawl [emoji38]

Well it must have been a frog I saw last night.
But why if there's no water? I would love him to eat my slugs and snails, but he won't survive?

Well it must have been a frog I saw last night.
But why if there's no water? I would love him to eat my slugs and snails, but he won't survive?

He probably will as frogs also don't live in ponds all year round. They like it to be damp. One of your neighbours probably has a pond.

We had at least two hedgehogs in the garden yesterday evening, possibly three, because we could still hear rustling after the other two had gone off foraging amongst the flowers in the front garden.

Back