• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extra love vibes for poor Truffle

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Just thought I’d post on poor Truffle’s behalf because he’s super sad at the moment.

This is week 4 of him having a sore eye on one side, eye ulcer in the other and a nose sore which is taking ages to heal.

First two weeks I had to give him eye drops twice a day (he is pretty unhandleable for anything). We had a good tactic and routine for it, in the morning he got in the closed off sleep area of their hutch, drip, drip done! No fussing. Then about 4pm I got him back there with the temptation of a nanna chip, drip, drip, done. Two weeks we did this for and by the end of week two he was getting less gullible for the 4pm one but we got there in the end.

I sent pics of his eye to my vet and he said it’s still looks so angry, so prescribed oral medication and drops only in the ulcer eye. Well that changed everything. Whilst the oral was only once a day so I did it in the morning where he can’t get out....it changes him because it tasted foul I think. He “attacks” his cat brothers and bunny partner Luther and just gets an a foul mood, wouldn’t go to bed made me chase him around 40 mins every night. One week we got through all of this. Still no better so back to the vets we go, which he lives by the way! It’s his second home and even lets us hug him there lol!
Unfortunately as I feared we now think he’s contracted syphilis from Luther when they bonded and the boys fought. So he’s on Penicillin injections which thank the Lord isn’t like Luther where I had to do it once a day for a week!! Truffle needs one injection for three weeks so the vet can do it *phew*

But today after having the injection yesterday and having eaten his dinner, he’s very depressed and lethargic, won’t eat treats or his breakfast, did pick at a corner of apple and a carrot biscuit. So naturally his brother from another mother, Luther is on hunger strike too. I’m so exhausted from it all I just weeped yesterday. I just want him to be better now.

Sorry for the long rant guys! Lol.

a2247d2797d1c3955590cc7886ae0b26.jpg

603f3d80c67894608cba27815f013836.jpg

64b520a0d4aa2ce83b44031221c09b4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh gosh how heartbreaking for you both :(

Poor wee lad. His eye certainly looks angry, but now you've a diagnosis I hope it will clear up pretty quickly.

You must be at the end of your tether, and in all this heat as well.

Loads of hugs and vibes xxx

Oh no poor Truffle [emoji17] I really hope the penicillin does the trick and get his poor eyes sorted.

I can completely empathise with the stress of having to medicate a difficult to handle bun. One of my bridge buns had ear abscesses and I had to give him daily penicillin injections for weeks and weeks on end. Only problem was he hated being touched, he wouldn't even let me stroke him. So injecting was a bit of a challenge! I ended up having to put him in an empty bath tub to do them which worked a treat! I used to have to chase him round the flat to pick him up to put him in there (until I had the brain wave of cornering him with a couple of panels). One morning he managed to jump out of the bath tub before I could inject him. He ran out of the bathroom because I stupidly didn't close the door. This was after chasing him for about half an hour. I could have cried!

I really hope the boys are just having a sulk and will start eating again soon. You really don't need the stress of possible stasis episodes on top of everything!

Oh gosh how heartbreaking for you both :(

Poor wee lad. His eye certainly looks angry, but now you've a diagnosis I hope it will clear up pretty quickly.

You must be at the end of your tether, and in all this heat as well.

Loads of hugs and vibes xxx

I know bless him :-(
It’s hard because you know your doing the right thing but you can’t tell them that.

Yeah hopefully this is it now and in another two weeks it will be over finally.
Yes your exactly right, I think we both get hot and bothered and frustrated at each other, he thinks I’m mean and I just want him to sit still lol!

Aww thank you <3 xxx

Oh no poor Truffle [emoji17] I really hope the penicillin does the trick and get his poor eyes sorted.

I can completely empathise with the stress of having to medicate a difficult to handle bun. One of my bridge buns had ear abscesses and I had to give him daily penicillin injections for weeks and weeks on end. Only problem was he hated being touched, he wouldn't even let me stroke him. So injecting was a bit of a challenge! I ended up having to put him in an empty bath tub to do them which worked a treat! I used to have to chase him round the flat to pick him up to put him in there (until I had the brain wave of cornering him with a couple of panels). One morning he managed to jump out of the bath tub before I could inject him. He ran out of the bathroom because I stupidly didn't close the door. This was after chasing him for about half an hour. I could have cried!

I really hope the boys are just having a sulk and will start eating again soon. You really don't need the stress of possible stasis episodes on top of everything!

Thank you, me too, it’s been going on too long now and I feel awful having to keep doing things to him!

Oh no! Ear abscesses are not fun! Poor you that must have been a stressful time. Yes I totally sympathise with the chasing around, we had to do that last time this eye issue occurred so I could towel him and give him meds. This is why, like you, this time I found a method less stressful for us both, but I think it going to be a while before he knows I’m only doing one eye drop now.

This is what I’m fretting about now, because he’s not eaten much today just picked at a few things. I know it can mess with their gut flora. I’m hoping he’s going to try some dinner in a bit but neither are particularly interested yet. I might look up some gut happy herbs and forage I can fetch but nothing has really temped him. I thought about banana but not sure if that’s not good on a mostly empty tummy. I don’t t know how long to leave him to it before action is needed :-(

Thank you so much. Me too! Xx

Hope things improve for you all very soon. Hang in there x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you, me too, it’s been going on too long now and I feel awful having to keep doing things to him!

Oh no! Ear abscesses are not fun! Poor you that must have been a stressful time. Yes I totally sympathise with the chasing around, we had to do that last time this eye issue occurred so I could towel him and give him meds. This is why, like you, this time I found a method less stressful for us both, but I think it going to be a while before he knows I’m only doing one eye drop now.

This is what I’m fretting about now, because he’s not eaten much today just picked at a few things. I know it can mess with their gut flora. I’m hoping he’s going to try some dinner in a bit but neither are particularly interested yet. I might look up some gut happy herbs and forage I can fetch but nothing has really temped him. I thought about banana but not sure if that’s not good on a mostly empty tummy. I don’t t know how long to leave him to it before action is needed :-(

It's so hard to judge in these situations whether they're not eating because they genuinely feel poorly or because they're just having a strop.

What I would do is put in front of him anything that would tempt him to eat, herbs, forage, treats. Anything he normally loves. Leave it in front of him and then stay out of his sight for about half an hour. I've found that when my buns are in a strop they make a point of not eating in front of me. If after the half hour he hasn't touched any of it I'd be looking at getting in touch with the vet again for advice.

I really hope he starts to eat more, I don't think either of you need two vet trips in one day!

I often buy some dill, coriander or parsley. Rose leaves and fresh grass go down well.
I would give a little bit of banana if it makes him happy and also Infacol.

At the first sign of a gut slow down I give 1ml of Infacol every hour for three doses and then three times daily. Also, make sure you brush the fur off if they are moulting as that doesn't help either if they ingest it!

I tend to make some lovely whizzed up juice with apple carrot and kale and my buns love that most times unless they are really really poorly.

Good luck xx

It's so hard to judge in these situations whether they're not eating because they genuinely feel poorly or because they're just having a strop.

What I would do is put in front of him anything that would tempt him to eat, herbs, forage, treats. Anything he normally loves. Leave it in front of him and then stay out of his sight for about half an hour. I've found that when my buns are in a strop they make a point of not eating in front of me. If after the half hour he hasn't touched any of it I'd be looking at getting in touch with the vet again for advice.

I really hope he starts to eat more, I don't think either of you need two vet trips in one day!

Yes it’s hard isn’t it! I get the feeling sometimes he is doing that because he will randomly bounce around the front room.....then continue in his frump for hours.
This morning I tried that with usual treats and bits and he’d sniff and curl away like it was something offensive.
This evening all veg has been ignored so I took my foraging book outside and looked for anything gut stimulating or pro gut flora etc. He chewed a few things here and there, two dandelion leaves too but the winner was grass. He’s not gone mad but I’m happy he at least had an interest and a little something in his tummy. Hopefully after napping in his castle he will feel like more.

Yes exactly! I don’t think I’d catch him to be honest lol.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it x

I often buy some dill, coriander or parsley. Rose leaves and fresh grass go down well.
I would give a little bit of banana if it makes him happy and also Infacol.

At the first sign of a gut slow down I give 1ml of Infacol every hour for three doses and then three times daily. Also, make sure you brush the fur off if they are moulting as that doesn't help either if they ingest it!

I tend to make some lovely whizzed up juice with apple carrot and kale and my buns love that most times unless they are really really poorly.

Good luck xx

Funny you say that, my newly planted herb garden for the bunnies has come in handy already! I went out and got some dill, thyme, mint and rosemary to try him on, rosemary was the only one that got a look in and only a nibble.
I foraged around and got anything for a happy tummy, apple branches, brambles, golden rod, lemon balm, and a few dandelions. He ate two small dandelions picked at a few other bits but not overly fussed. You’re exactly right, grass won. He’s not had loads but he was interested in it and ate a small amount so I’m happy something is in him.

If he’s still like this tomorrow I’ll give your bunny smoothie a go I think, although he’s such a diva about new things lol!

Where do you buy infacol from? And is it possible to give not by syringe?

Thank you for your support I really appreciate it xx

Funny you say that, my newly planted herb garden for the bunnies has come in handy already! I went out and got some dill, thyme, mint and rosemary to try him on, rosemary was the only one that got a look in and only a nibble.
I foraged around and got anything for a happy tummy, apple branches, brambles, golden rod, lemon balm, and a few dandelions. He ate two small dandelions picked at a few other bits but not overly fussed. You’re exactly right, grass won. He’s not had loads but he was interested in it and ate a small amount so I’m happy something is in him.

If he’s still like this tomorrow I’ll give your bunny smoothie a go I think, although he’s such a diva about new things lol!

Where do you buy infacol from? And is it possible to give not by syringe?

Thank you for your support I really appreciate it xx

You can get Infacol in any chemist, Boots etc ...

I haven't known a bunny take it without a syringe. Although it's flavoured for babies, I don't think it's that tasty, sorry!

You can get Infacol in any chemist, Boots etc ...

I haven't known a bunny take it without a syringe. Although it's flavoured for babies, I don't think it's that tasty, sorry!

Oh ok! Thank you.

Haha oh dear, not sure that will happen :p well I’ll see if he’s better tomorrow morning as Sam thinks Luther did this too after the first injection and was better the next day (I think I’ve blanked it out!) . Otherwise I have your bunny smoothie or infacol to try next :)

Poor Truffle :( That's a long time to have such a sore eye. Tethra has had Syphilis a couple of times, but fortunately hasn't given it to any bonded partners (yet!). It's horrid isn't it, as it affects several different parts of the body. Tethra had the Penicillin injections daily and was on eye drops as well for 2 or 3 weeks I think. It makes it all so much harder for us and the rabbit, if they dislike being handled.

Sending him lots of vibes and I hope he starts to eat properly again soon.

Back