• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downsides to Eravac?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I have Jasmine booked in for her standard myxo/VHD1 vacc on monday, and booked Jake in also as he'll be due his VHD2 by the end of the week. The vets I'm using doesn't seem to have Filavac in still, but does have Eravac. Are there any downsides to using Eravac? I do the boosters yearly, they've both only had 1 Filvac vaccine. I'm put off eravac but I've been trying to research the difference/as to why as I can't quite recall what has me concerned! Thank you.

I have Jasmine booked in for her standard myxo/VHD1 vacc on monday, and booked Jake in also as he'll be due his VHD2 by the end of the week. The vets I'm using doesn't seem to have Filavac in still, but does have Eravac. Are there any downsides to using Eravac? I do the boosters yearly, they've both only had 1 Filvac vaccine. I'm put off eravac but I've been trying to research the difference/as to why as I can't quite recall what has me concerned! Thank you.

Hi Liz

Duration of immunity is only 9 months :)
This is according to my vet, as I can't see on a data sheet that a duration of immunity has been documented.

More bedtime reading here:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...-_Variation/veterinary/004239/WC500247591.pdf

It's my understanding that Eravac asked for an annual duration of immunity based on antibody levels, but it was given 9 months by the European Medicines Agency.

Last edited:
Hi Liz

Duration of immunity is only 9 months :)
This is according to my vet, as I can't see on a data sheet that a duration of immunity has been documented.

More bedtime reading here:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...-_Variation/veterinary/004239/WC500247591.pdf

It's my understanding that Eravac asked for an annual duration of immunity based on antibody levels, but it was given 9 months by the European Medicines Agency.

This, it lasts 9months rather then 12 of filavac

Immunity doesn’t just switch off - it fades away. Eravac haven’t done a 12month challenge hence they were given 9 months. It depends on whether you want to risk extending to 12 or re-boost at 9. Personally having a background in immunology the titre test showing similar antibody levels at 9 months and 12 months would suggest to me that it would be effective for a year!

Ps most research money is in meat or fur rabbits so most vaccines would initially be developed for them rather than for pets - they have changed it to all rabbits not just fattening ones now

Last edited:
The EMA document MightyMax linked to above was Eravac applying for the updated data sheet to say 12m duration, but they were refused it by the EMA because there wasn't a challenge done at that time. They were only allowed 9m because that's all they could prove. Here is the updated data sheet, section 4.2 http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...Information/veterinary/004239/WC500214906.pdf

One of the other initial concerns about eravac was that it's an oil-based product meaning there was thought to be a higher risk of adverse skin reactions (or problems with self injection) but it seems to be a different sort of emulsion compared to the earlier oil-based products like cylap so this is less of a concern.

The other thing of course is that eravac is only RHD2, but this isn't a concern if they are also up to date with their nobivac, which it sounds like they are :)

Immunity doesn’t just switch off - it fades away. Eravac haven’t done a 12month challenge hence they were given 9 months. It depends on whether you want to risk extending to 12 or re-boost at 9. Personally having a background in immunology the titre test showing similar antibody levels at 9 months and 12 months would suggest to me that it would be effective for a year!

Ps most research money is in meat or fur rabbits so most vaccines would initially be developed for them rather than for pets - they have changed it to all rabbits not just fattening ones now

Thanks for explaining Caz :D

The EMA document MightyMax linked to above was Eravac applying for the updated data sheet to say 12m duration, but they were refused it by the EMA because there wasn't a challenge done at that time. They were only allowed 9m because that's all they could prove. Here is the updated data sheet, section 4.2 http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...Information/veterinary/004239/WC500214906.pdf

One of the other initial concerns about eravac was that it's an oil-based product meaning there was thought to be a higher risk of adverse skin reactions (or problems with self injection) but it seems to be a different sort of emulsion compared to the earlier oil-based products like cylap so this is less of a concern.

The other thing of course is that eravac is only RHD2, but this isn't a concern if they are also up to date with their nobivac, which it sounds like they are :)

Good to have this clarified, ta Santa :love:

Back