• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits get on well with cats???

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Hi,

First off this forum is great and i'm glad i found it! At the moment my bunny Skip (or nicknames louie or linnyloo!) is sitting next to my foot as i type this! Can't believe i have found a site where others feel the same about their rabbits as i do ( he's like my surrogate child!) :D

What i needed some help for was that my boyfriend would love to get a cat but i'm unsure if it would be possible to form a successful relationship between my already bossy rabbit and a new cat.
:?
Does anyone else have any experience in introducing cats and rabbits together?

Many Thanks Natalie and Skip

Dvc00262-small.jpg

It depends on the cat really. My bun used to chase the cats :lol: but it is possible for them to get on. Mine did. :D Having said that I would definately not leave them together un-supervised, even if they did get along as you never know what could happen when your back is turned.

I treat my cat every six months with flea treatment and de-worm every 3/4 months as a precautionary measure. I feel prevent rather than treat is a better measure. You might want to consider this before getting a cat as fleas are the culprits that cause myxi in buns

Cute bunnie you have got there :lol: :lol: :D

Wow thanks for getting back to me so quick i barely had time to blink!!
:thumb:

Thanks for the advice, my boyfriend is hoping to get a kitten so i was hoping this might make it easier as the rabbit will be the bigger of the two!!

I keep trying to convice him to get a bunny :rabbit2:

I'll let you know how it goes if and when we do get a kitten.

Many Thanks
Natalie and Skip

Aww. That's one of the cutest bunny photos I've ever seen.
couldn't have put it better myself!

re: cat question. i've got two cats. I've just had Jack a month now and they've not yet met. i've delayed it so he has chance to settle in, get vac'd up, and neutered. so i guess anytime soon i'll brave it and introduce them to each other. they are both good natured, and not ratters, they like to catch the odd butterfly and well, i don't think they'll stand a chance against my big fella; Jack. i do think it'll be him bossing my little girls about! having said all that, buns are at the end of the food chain and cats are by nature predatory... so again, i don't think it would be a good idea to leave them unattended.

not sure about a kitten as they are really placeful and will drive even the calmest cat bonkers with their antics. would he consider an older cat (one you know the temperament, history etc) there's bound to be a suitable match at a rescue somewhere..... hey, i've had an idea :idea: .... the best mate your cutie could ever wish for would be another rabbit DAH i'm SO obvious! :lol:

well i have two siamese cats, i got Dubbs before i got my two meezers, so the meezers soon learnt who was boss! my two cats always respected Dubbs and in fact were a bit wary of him. maybe cos Dubbs was quite a brave and bolshie boy :) in fact, i think my little girl Storm was a bit scared of Dubbs.

they interacted with each other even when not in the same space, a glass door seperates my balcony from the lounge and there are little wet-nose smudges on both sides of the glass from where they would tease each other from the safety of their own rooms.

as said above, i would never leave them all unattended though, it is in a cat's nature to kill (even though my cats have never killed anything bigger than a spider - indoor cats you see).

i think the cats are starting to wonder where Dubbs is actually, i caught Storm sitting at the door to the balcony just staring at the hutch this morning, she never used to do that :-(

I have a cat she is to be trusted with the adult rabbits but not with very young ones, when i had my frenchy it was a scream watching him chase the cat away from his half of the garden, as a rule though most cats are wary of adult rabbits. val

Back