• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The worming question again

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I know this has been asked before on here but I have an unusual set of circumstances.

Teddy came to me after an ear infection and later developed head tilt. It wasn't caused by EC but I've wormed him and Lilac once since having them anyway because they'd been outdoor bunnies prior to me adopting them.

Lilac in particular despises worming and it's a serious battle to get the stuff into her. Think chasing her around the house and trying to wrap her in a towel to stop her kicking and injuring herself... :shock: Teddy isn't so bad. So the time has come to worm them again but I'm wondering if it's worth it given they're indoor bunnies? I don't know whether to just worm Teddy given his ongoing health condition I.e. Just to make sure we've covered all bases of he ever does get any ear related issues again.

Any thoughts?

honestly, I've only been advised to worm should a vet suggest you do, or you introducing a new rabbit. its somewhat like fleas, unless you have a household pet (cat/dog) that has fleas, then the rabbit needs to be flead, otherwise there isn't seen a need for it to be done regally. this is the RWAF's stance on worming:

The RWAF does not advocate regular use of worming products for rabbits, ie every quarter, as is recommend for cats and dogs for example. However their are times when the use of 9 day courses might be helpful: 1 to reduce the risk of infection at that specific time (as in the study) eg around introduction for short periods of time eg mating, as per the Suter paper. 2 To suppress chronic infections and reduce the signs associated with them. This is not backed up by any scientific studies, but it is often reported by rabbit owners that improvement occurs within a few days of regular periodic treatments. This could be coincidental, or due to other factors, but requires more work to investigate. 28 day courses are generally advised for animals with clinical signs of infection, as this is the only regime investigated for treatment. It is important to combine this with regular effective cleaning of the environment, especially towards the end of the treatment course, and concurrent treatment of all in-contact rabbits, to avoid re-infection with spores. Anecdotally, some people have found that 42 day courses have been more effective than 28 day courses in clearing EC. This may be due to longer persistence of the organisms in the animal, or the environment, or inadequate hygiene measures. In any case, it is vital to combine treatment with daily cleaning of the environment, in particular, prevention of urine and faeces contamination of food and water, to prevent re-infection by other rabbits or themselves. Longer than 28 day, or repeat courses should only be carried out under the direction of your veterinary surgeon and should not be recommended as standard as they have not been proven to be safe at this point. The RWAF stresses that it is more important to avoid re-infection during treatment than to give a course longer than 28 days.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/worming-advice/

so I do believe, unless directed by a vet, you shouldn't be worming anyhow on a regular basis.

Ah interesting! I have some panacur and think I just get paranoid about Teddy given his condition so that's good to know!

Back