• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well that escalated quickly!

Caz

Mama Doe
So a couple of weeks ago I posted up I’d taken in a rabbit found straying by our vets after my last rabbit passed on 18months ago. I decided to get him a girlfriend to bond with and being no suitable (planning to stick to rex’s as my eldest son isn’t reacting to Thumper’s fur) single ladies in rescue nearby I spotted an advert for a young doe being re-homed by a breeder locally (had two litters, approx 2yrs).

Now I know what you are all thinking but she (Velvet) was fully vaccinated, I just had her spayed and she is already cuddled up with Thumper (turned out to be love at first sight... she wasn’t pregnant!
29abb4be49f2ea17ff9587c5c9390e09.jpg

What actually happened was last weekend after taking home Velvet we got a call from our lettings agent telling us a house we let had been abandoned. The RSPCA had been round and taken the dogs but there were chickens and rabbits in the back garden (we had not given permission for pets other than one small dog as garden is too small).

I rang the RSPCA to enquire about the other animals but they had no record on the system of them so I was told to wait for the inspector to call me. By Sunday night I was fretting about them due to the extreme heat so our whole family piled in the car and drove round. Luckily the back garden has a rear path to it behind the terraces as we have no access to the house yet for legal reasons.

Thankfully the 4ft square chicken pen that according to the neighbours held several chickens and two [emoji33] cockerels was empty but the shed at the back where the rabbits had been hidden was not!

The neighbours had been topping up their water as apparently they been told they would be collected by the end of the weekend. It was 7:30pm Sunday!

It was bad in there - they had been quickly cleaned out I was told but still - the smell and flies. At first I was told there was four but when I opened the tiny two storey hutch four came out that one alone! That left one in another hutch and one in an indoor cage on the top - 6 in total!

My husband took one look at my face and said “I give up - we’re taking them aren’t we”. Even the kids were shocked at the mess. The garden was just a shed full of rabbits and a chicken pen and a path - no outdoor space for their kids let alone the animals!

cf42027d92f0006c8f0d90fe10a51416.jpg
a0112ca07b5c468ff4bc8baac059924f.jpg
595ffb800f01d42c9cacf21653c1bb90.jpg

We have two unused heated dog kennels at home so I was able to quickly rig up some temp accommodation. Yesterday the wire I ordered arrived so I was able to enclose the whole run area too and give them more space. They are also sharing time on grass in my rabbits old folding run.

36985e26aec3c088fa79894e00391626.jpg
d963a43dcfe743cc1d1d044f561ef98b.jpg
5771595a49387ab8048e67ab43b501a9.jpg
078fa0443b27c602baee9a6eb2860440.jpg

The RSPCA rang me back later on the Monday to say they had been told the rabbits were being taken over the weekend (on free-ads) but was happy someone knowledgeable had them. Said I have to wait 14 days before finding them new homes but he’d try to get them signed over earlier.

They’ve all been to the vets and are in pretty good health - the bonded quad are all girls (most under a year we think) the Lionhead is a boy and his girly (lilac) is the oldest at around 2-3. They were desperate to get to each other and tried to nuzzle when I put them near each other in a split run so pretty sure they got separated due to risk of pregnancy as none are neutered but hoping to re-bond the pair once I can neuter.

I did get them all done with eravac (vets had a vial in for Thumper) so got a discount [emoji16] but still vaccinating that many hurt (how do rescues survive). Still have to do novibac in two weeks.

So went from no rabbits to 8 in three weeks [emoji85]🤪.

Hopefully I can find them good homes - will probably put them up for adoption on RR when I can legally.

We have a bonded quad: blue eyed Dutch, helicopter tri, Fawn mini-lop and broken (b/w) cross. Then a harlequin buck and a lilac doe. So far no one appears to be pregnant 🤞🏻!

My OH said at this rate we’ll end up starting a rabbit rescue [emoji6].

The vet did laugh at me and said what did she start!

Hoping all goes well - trying to explain to the kids they aren’t staying is tough - even my eldest is dosing up on piriton so he can go sit in there and get clambered all over by rabbits!

Caz

Wow, well done for acting so quickly and rescuing those abandoned buns, how can people leave them like that.
What state is the house in?
I think one of the buns is engaged in a "sploof" in that last photo 😍

OMG - what a nightmare. You were brilliant acting so quickly and rescuing the rabbits who clearly were being kept in very inappropriate conditions. I do hope that you can find them good homes - please keep the forum updated.

I'm glad that the rabbits are safe. I hope that you're able to get the situation with the property sorted out soon.

Well done, and lucky rabbits to have you ! I really hope they can all find their forever homes xxx

Well done for saving them :love: I hope you can find new homes for them - if you can bear to give them up ;) they seem happy where they are :thumb:

We’ve been told the house is in a pretty grim state with faeces etc inside and a neighbour rang last night to say there are maggots in the chicken pen bit (left my number in case anyone came back for the rabbits) and I had to tell her legally our hands are tied we can’€™t start cleaning up for another week! [emoji40]. It’s amazing how bad a place can get between 6 month checks when a relationship breaks down. I do feel sorry for the kids - they’ve lost their house, most of their possessions, their parents have split and they lost their pets all at the same time (the pets might be better off now but that doesn’t mean the kids didn’t love them).

I thought at first the quad may not be that close but had to get on in such a small space but I have since witnessed them cuddling with each other and mutual grooming so they are all bonded!

465d960adc48f926b6d5b0cf9514fd54.jpg

The hutches were filled with straw and sawdust - no hay anywhere and they were on a cheap rabbit mix but slowly transferring them over. The pair are not good hay eaters and have very small poos - they seem to be trying grass which is good but I worry they have spent too long without it and don’€™t recognise it as food [emoji22]. The quad have taken to it and grass with gusto so I am less worried about them.

Caz

Last edited:
Oh goodness. Bless you for taking in those bunnies. I hope the house doesn’t cost too much to clean up as I think you’re going to need the cash for vets bills!

We’ve been told the house is in a pretty grim state with faeces etc inside and a neighbour rang last night to say there are maggots in the chicken pen bit (left my number in case anyone came back for the rabbits) and I had to tell her legally our hands are tied we can’€™t start cleaning up for another week! [emoji40]. It’s amazing how bad a place can get between 6 month checks when a relationship breaks down. I do feel sorry for the kids - they’ve lost their house, most of their possessions, their parents have split and they lost their pets all at the same time (the pets might be better off now but that doesn’t mean the kids didn’t love them).

I thought at first the quad may not be that close but had to get on in such a small space but I have since witnessed them cuddling with each other and mutual grooming so they are all bonded!

465d960adc48f926b6d5b0cf9514fd54.jpg

The hutches were filled with straw and sawdust - no hay anywhere and they were on a cheap rabbit mix but slowly transferring them over. The pair are not good hay eaters and have very small poos - they seem to be trying grass which is good but I worry they have spent too long without it and don’€™t recognise it as food [emoji22]. The quad have taken to it and grass with gusto so I am less worried about them.

Caz

They should get used to eating hay eventuallu! Good luck with them. :love::love:

Back