• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Grooming

willerton

New Kit
Since it is hot at the minute I am wanting to give my Lionhead Lop a bit of a trim all over to help him with the heat, we already give him cold water / wet towels and he has infinite frozen water bottles to cuddle up to and lick if he gets a bit warm. He obviously has a fluffy face and neck being a lionhead but wondered what I should do about his face in regards to grooming and the possibility of catching his whiskers and accidentally cutting them off?

I know you shouldn’t literally just cut whiskers but if I want to trim his hair on his face down I might not be able to avoid it does anyone have any advice on this? Should I just avoid his face all together and do everywhere else I can, or will it be okay so long as I am careful?

Thanks for all help :)

I never trim my bunnies and I have a few fluffy ones but they seem to manage. I would tend to leave him or if he is moulting have you tried using a Zoom Groom for cats? They are very popular.

I never trim my bunnies and I have a few fluffy ones but they seem to manage. I would tend to leave him or if he is moulting have you tried using a Zoom Groom for cats? They are very popular.

If it's managable I will stick with his cool bottles and ice but just wanted to check if it was a possibility as I have seen a few posts saying people do try to but I was a bit worried about doing it so it's nice to have some input from another bunny owner with experience! I will give the zoom groom a go and see if it gets rid of a bit of his excess fur because he does tend to be a bit malty being so fluffy

I use a 'ferminator' brush on my buns, it's okay but very expensive and can't help feeling like there's something better out there. I used to trim my Angoras face with small scissors but she was used to it from a very early age and never moved an inch. It had to be done as they're rather prone to matting and I would not do it on my current buns or other breed

I personally wouldn't do it on a lionhead, use a brush or whichever then maybe a fine comb for the mane and face. He should moult if he's too warm I'm not sure a face trim would make much or a difference? (I could be wrong though!)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I use a 'ferminator' brush on my buns, it's okay but very expensive and can't help feeling like there's something better out there. I used to trim my Angoras face with small scissors but she was used to it from a very early age and never moved an inch. It had to be done as they're rather prone to matting and I would not do it on my current buns or other breed

I personally wouldn't do it on a lionhead, use a brush or whichever then maybe a fine comb for the mane and face. He should moult if he's too warm I'm not sure a face trim would make much or a difference? (I could be wrong though!)

Unless they have changed the design, furminators aren’t recommended for rabbits, they can cause dreadful skin tears as their skin is so tender. Here’s an old thread, there are some graphic photos http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...rs-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=Furminator+gracie
And another http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?242596-!WARNING!-About-use-of-the-*furminator*

Last edited:
:eek: thanks Zoobec, it's an old one, I got it about 7 years ago for my Angora but it didn't work on her really so ended up using a couple of wide tooth combs instead. I only dug it out a few months ago when Ralph started moulting and it's worked well on him as the teeth are closer together but yeah didn't know they weren't recommended.

His fur is so thick I doubt I'm anywhere near skin but I have felt it dragging. Looking at the second link (I couldn't look at first :( ) I saw mention of a slicker brush so going to get one of these I reckon. Any excuse to shop [emoji14]

Back