• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad loss

r44dap

New Kit
Hi I'm new to the forum but after some advice. We bought 2 lop eared dwarf rabbits from a good breeder. Same litter both boys. They arrived home with us at 8 wks old and had their jabs at the correct time. They have been thriving for the 2 years we have had them. They live in a 2 storey hutch cleaned daily and fed veg and nuggets.

We had them out in their run yesterday evening and they were both running around and happy. Sadly this morning 'ronnie' has died. We are devastated to day the least.

We have no idea what's caused this as they are both immaculate.

We are now worried about his brother being lonely. I guess the only thing to solve that would be to introduce a friend but have never done this before. Any advice please?
8af6e283994a2f4afb0a79d8f3478262.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to read about Ronnie :cry: Sending hugs at this very sad time. Also welcome to the forum, albeit in distressing circumstances.

I presume when you mention jabs, that both your rabbits have had both vaccines i.e. Nobivac for RHD1 and Myxomatosis and also Filivac for RHD2?

Regarding getting a friend for your remaining rabbit, I would recommend that you have a look at your local rescues. They might have a suitable rabbit and will very often offer to bond the two rabbits together. The rescue rabbit will also be neutered and had its vaccinations, so you would be able to start the bonding process fairly soon.

I am so sorry to read about Ronnie :cry: Sending hugs at this very sad time. Also welcome to the forum, albeit in distressing circumstances.

I presume when you mention jabs, that both your rabbits have had both vaccines i.e. Nobivac for RHD1 and Myxomatosis and also Filivac for RHD2?

Regarding getting a friend for your remaining rabbit, I would recommend that you have a look at your local rescues. They might have a suitable rabbit and will very often offer to bond the two rabbits together. The rescue rabbit will also be neutered and had its vaccinations, so you would be able to start the bonding process fairly soon.
Thanks Omi.
Yes a rescue would be my only choice but was concerned that they don't get on.

I am very sorry for your loss. There are several possible causes of sudden death. As Omi has mentioned, had Ronnie received both vaccines- ie the Nobivac Myxo-RHD and the Filivac RHD2 ?

A post mortem may give you some answers as to what happened to poor Ronnie. Personally I would not take on another Rabbit just yet, especially if your Rabbits had not received the Filivac RHD 2 Vaccine. RHD2 is certainly not the only cause of sudden death, but in the current climate it has to be placed high on the list of possibilities in any unvaccinated Rabbit.

I would give your Vet a call and discuss the situation with him/her

Just in case you are not aware of RHD2 this link contains up to date information

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

RIP Ronnie :cry:

Thanks Omi.
Yes a rescue would be my only choice but was concerned that they don't get on.

Some rescues will introduce your rabbit to single rabbits that they have and will also try to bond one of them with your rabbit. It would mean that you would need to leave your rabbit with the rescue for about a week, but such rescues are usually very experienced in bonding and will estalbish fairly soon whether the rabbits are likely to bond. Then you would collect the pair of rabbits and the bonding is usually very successful if done this way.

I hope that your remaining rabbit can find another chum fairly quickly :)

I am very sorry for your loss. There are several possible causes of sudden death. As Omi has mentioned, had Ronnie received both vaccines- ie the Nobivac Myxo-RHD and the Filivac RHD2 ?

A post mortem may give you some answers as to what happened to poor Ronnie. Personally I would not take on another Rabbit just yet, especially if your Rabbits had not received the Filivac RHD 2 Vaccine. RHD2 is certainly not the only cause of sudden death, but in the current climate it has to be placed high on the list of possibilities in any unvaccinated Rabbit.

I would give your Vet a call and discuss the situation with him/her

Just in case you are not aware of RHD2 this link contains up to date information

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

RIP Ronnie :cry:
Sorry yes missed that part out the boys both had both vaccinations.

Hi I'm new to the forum but after some advice. We bought 2 lop eared dwarf rabbits from a good breeder. Same litter both boys. They arrived home with us at 8 wks old and had their jabs at the correct time. They have been thriving for the 2 years we have had them. They live in a 2 storey hutch cleaned daily and fed veg and nuggets.

We had them out in their run yesterday evening and they were both running around and happy. Sadly this morning 'ronnie' has died. We are devastated to day the least.

We have no idea what's caused this as they are both immaculate.

We are now worried about his brother being lonely. I guess the only thing to solve that would be to introduce a friend but have never done this before. Any advice please?
8af6e283994a2f4afb0a79d8f3478262.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, and I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss :(

It's impossible to know what's happened without a post mortem I'm afraid. Has his brother been checked over by a vet to make sure there's nothing that might have passed between them?

Sadly with rabbits they are fragile and they give up easily when poorly. Also, because they hide their illnesses it's often too late by the time we find our they are ill to do anything to save them.

A Rescue Centre may volunteer to bond him with a companion rabbit. They would usually choose a neutered female for him - is he neutered? They may not rehome to you if he isn't, as the policy is no breeding, even if you didn't intend to do so.

I have bonded lots of rabbits for Rescue Centres and I usually allow 48 hours for the bonding before people take their rabbits home. The 'home' would have to be neutralised of any previous rabbit smells (as far as possible) and in your case probably best to give a good clean and disinfect using something like Ark Klens:

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Ark-Klens.aspx

Or Angigene:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Anigene-HLD4V-High-Level-Disinfectant-Cleaner/c19401/

Welcome to the Forum, and I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss :(

It's impossible to know what's happened without a post mortem I'm afraid. Has his brother been checked over by a vet to make sure there's nothing that might have passed between them?

Sadly with rabbits they are fragile and they give up easily when poorly. Also, because they hide their illnesses it's often too late by the time we find our they are ill to do anything to save them.

A Rescue Centre may volunteer to bond him with a companion rabbit. They would usually choose a neutered female for him - is he neutered? They may not rehome to you if he isn't, as the policy is no breeding, even if you didn't intend to do so.

I have bonded lots of rabbits for Rescue Centres and I usually allow 48 hours for the bonding before people take their rabbits home. The 'home' would have to be neutralised of any previous rabbit smells (as far as possible) and in your case probably best to give a good clean and disinfect using something like Ark Klens:

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Ark-Klens.aspx

Or Angigene:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Anigene-HLD4V-High-Level-Disinfectant-Cleaner/c19401/
Thanks for the advice.

No he's not been neutered maybe if we can't get him a companion we need to consider this.
It's just killing us thinking he will be lonely.

Thanks for the advice.

No he's not been neutered maybe if we can't get him a companion we need to consider this.
It's just killing us thinking he will be lonely.

You're welcome

Just be honest with Rescue Centres, and also say if you intend to get him neutered. It will mean he will pester a female rabbit less anyway if he's 'done'.

Some info on neutering and bonding here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

I have often introduced a companion very soon after the passing of a rabbit, as loneliness can deplete the immune system and also cause depression. Just check that there's nothing amiss (health wise) with your vet before you go ahead and find a friend :)

I am very sorry you have lost one of your rabbits. It is always upsetting especially if it is your first bunny. I am afraid rabbits can easily get poorly for one reason or another. Your remaining bunny will be ok until he can be neutered. I wouldn't rush into anything as he is suffering from his loss at the moment, , but in a couple of weeks he will be strong enough to be neutered, then you can think about getting him a lovely girlfriend.

I’m so sorry you lost Ronnie :cry: I second the advice given to get his brother checked over and neutered, before trying to find a friend for him. Rescues would be the best option, they usually have a few rabbits who would be a good match , and can often help with bonding, so if the first match doesn’t work out, there’s often other possibilities.

I'm sorry you've lost Ronnie :( I can't add anything to the great advice you've received. I hope you find a new friend for your remaining bun. Neutering for boys is a simple proceedure x

So sorry that you have lost Ronnie, he was obviously a much loved bunny. I hope you can find a nice friend for your remaining boy. Binky free Ronnie xxxx

So sorry for you and your remaining bunny. What is his name? Sudden death is the worst shock. I've had it happen and I'm sure there are other forum members who have too. Agree with everything others have said. I hope you find a new friend for your bunny in the future.

Back