• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedtime?!

Sunni

New Kit
Hi all
We've had our buns (daughter doesn't like calling them that - she thinks she's getting some cakes!) about 2 months now (just as long as the heat wave has lasted!) and I've learnt sooooo much from this site - SO MASSIVE THANK YOU!
One thing I didn't manage to search for was an answer to my bedtime Q. Initially I put the bunnies in their hutch around 9.30/10 and covered front up, so it was dark. The previous owner did this so I copied. Recently I haven't done this... I've let them stay out in their run (attached to hutch) and go to bed themselves. They are still in hutch when I get up around 6.30/7am. Is this OK??? I thought it would give them more freedom esp in this weather... also going away for a week soon and my friend will only come round once a day - and so won't be able to put them to bed anyway...
Do you think they would prefer the hutch door closed and a dark covering?? I can't decide. DOn't want to stress them out!

Also I'm feeding them separately as the female is always stealing male's food - one in hutch and one in run. Assume OK from what I've read. Is this a behaviour pattern that could change - or will she always be the greedy thief??
Thanks in advance

Sunni

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: I’m glad you have found it helpful:thumb:

If your run is predator proof, and rabbit escape proof, (made of strong weldmesh, preferably 16guage, and either meshed underneath so they can’t dig out, and predators can’t dig in, or screwed down onto concrete or similar) then I would leave them to decide when they want to go to sleep, and leave them access to the run all the time. Most of us do this, as rabbits are crepuscular, and need plenty of room to binky about even at night.

Most hutches have a darker area for them to retreat to, so you shouldn’t need to cover the hutch unless in winter to keep them warm, or to provide shade from the sun, although it’s best to have the hutch/run in a shady spot.

In pairs or groups, often one is greedier than the others, you could try scatter feeding them, it tends to encourage foraging, makes the food last longer and reduces one pinching from the other.

Thank you!! Yes, the run is on concrete paving and securely attached... I couldn't sleep last night and saw them out there around 4.30 - so I'm glad they do have that access now, and good to know most people do this!

X

Back