• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny ear nip?

Graciee

Staff member
Sorry for rubbish picture, was difficult to get one. I think Apricot may have nipped Penelope, it's right on the edge of the ear, but has gone right through, it's scabbed over now tho. Should I separate them? Or see how it goes? They seem fine and are always laying together still... Maybe she just got on Apricots nerves? Bit worried it'll be more serious next time... RHD2 is Monday gunna ask William then how long before he thinks spaying is a good idea after that jab, but I'm ready to get them done as soon as is possible for them. Any advice appreciated :) x
94804be11b0b45841433db2aae73e780.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

She could have caught it on something, or on her own claw. I wouldn’t separate unless you’ve seen aggression between them, if it was me.

She could have caught it on something, or on her own claw. I wouldn’t separate unless you’ve seen aggression between them, if it was me.
Yea it just looked like a bite honestly :( I really don't want to separate them unless absolutely necessary and they really seem close and I don't wanna break their bond :(

Yea it just looked like a bite honestly :( I really don't want to separate them unless absolutely necessary and they really seem close and I don't wanna break their bond :(

Obviously it could be a bite but with them being so close it doesn’t seem so likely. Are they circling or chasing at all? If they have remained close since moving to you which would have been a major test of a bond moving to new territory then they should be ok? Although gut feeling is important and I would follow your gut on that one!

Obviously it could be a bite but with them being so close it doesn’t seem so likely. Are they circling or chasing at all? If they have remained close since moving to you which would have been a major test of a bond moving to new territory then they should be ok? Although gut feeling is important and I would follow your gut on that one!

Yea exactly I've not seen anything negative between them! They've stayed super close the whole time.. I'm just worried they aren't spayed, and are supposed to be 6 months, maybe more.. I know how females can be, so I didn't know if things can just switch and turn nasty all of a sudden?

Yea exactly I've not seen anything negative between them! They've stayed super close the whole time.. I'm just worried they aren't spayed, and are supposed to be 6 months, maybe more.. I know how females can be, so I didn't know if things can just switch and turn nasty all of a sudden?

I know things can change quickly but they tend to stay like that, possibly settling a little. When I first brought home my bridge pair of girls they were around 4 months and immediately they started chasing and humping due to the change in territory. They never settled completely but luckily weren’t aggressive and I managed to keep them together until their spay. They were fine after and then I went on to bond them with 2 boys to form a quad.

They haven’t had any hawthorn have they? Or could she have caught it on a splinter, nail, or some wire? They just appear (from photos) so chilled out together!

I know things can change quickly but they tend to stay like that, possibly settling a little. When I first brought home my bridge pair of girls they were around 4 months and immediately they started chasing and humping due to the change in territory. They never settled completely but luckily weren’t aggressive and I managed to keep them together until their spay. They were fine after and then I went on to bond them with 2 boys to form a quad.

They haven’t had any hawthorn have they? Or could she have caught it on a splinter, nail, or some wire? They just appear (from photos) so chilled out together!
Yea they really are so chilled just anyway, and with each other, they're always laying together, grooming each other, treading on each other hahaha its just its gone all the way through :( they had some blackberry leaves and stems which I hurt myself on [emoji38] maybe its that? I really don't know though, unless I see anything bad I'm gunna just hope on Monday William says we can get them done ASAP :)

Yea they really are so chilled just anyway, and with each other, they're always laying together, grooming each other, treading on each other hahaha its just its gone all the way through :( they had some blackberry leaves and stems which I hurt myself on [emoji38] maybe its that? I really don't know though, unless I see anything bad I'm gunna just hope on Monday William says we can get them done ASAP :)

I think you are as safe as with any bonded pair to wait to see what the vet says about their spay, fingers crossed they can be done soon. I know you will be watching them like a hawk now!

I think you are as safe as with any bonded pair to wait to see what the vet says about their spay, fingers crossed they can be done soon. I know you will be watching them like a hawk now!
Yea thanks you've put my mind at rest :) not gunna stop observing them tho haha

Hi Grace - I'e been out most of the day so only just seen your thread ..

Is it an old scar? Could this have happened before they came to you?

Hi Grace - I'e been out most of the day so only just seen your thread ..

Is it an old scar? Could this have happened before they came to you?
Oh no definitely fresh, I'm interested to see if it'll be noticeable when healed - definitely looks like a nip to me, but they're so loved up still, everytime I see them they're lounging out together or eating together etc

Obviously I'm gunna ask William when he thinks, but how long would you feel comfortable after RHD2 getting them spayed?

I feel like my gut says a week, but Idk how the vaccine really messes with them etc I don't wanna put them through more rubbish just because I'm scared of their bond breaking down [emoji38]

I mean worst case scenario is they are separated, spayed, 6 weeks minimum later I'll ask the lady who bonded Atticus and Clementine if she'll rebond them.. So it's not a massive deal if that has to happen, just I feel like they're so close it would be so sad to separate them.

When they're spayed, I'm thinking I'll separate them but keep them right next to each other indoors, til they're both eating and pooping, then I was thinking of putting them right back together - do you think this is a sensible idea? Or should I just keep them together always? Just concerned I won't be able to tell who is and who isn't pooping or eating.. Spays really scare me [emoji38]

Sorry for all the questions [emoji849][emoji849]

Oh no definitely fresh, I'm interested to see if it'll be noticeable when healed - definitely looks like a nip to me, but they're so loved up still, everytime I see them they're lounging out together or eating together etc

Obviously I'm gunna ask William when he thinks, but how long would you feel comfortable after RHD2 getting them spayed?

I feel like my gut says a week, but Idk how the vaccine really messes with them etc I don't wanna put them through more rubbish just because I'm scared of their bond breaking down [emoji38]

I mean worst case scenario is they are separated, spayed, 6 weeks minimum later I'll ask the lady who bonded Atticus and Clementine if she'll rebond them.. So it's not a massive deal if that has to happen, just I feel like they're so close it would be so sad to separate them.

When they're spayed, I'm thinking I'll separate them but keep them right next to each other indoors, til they're both eating and pooping, then I was thinking of putting them right back together - do you think this is a sensible idea? Or should I just keep them together always? Just concerned I won't be able to tell who is and who isn't pooping or eating.. Spays really scare me [emoji38]

This seems quite odd, because I would have thought that if there was aggression between them, you would have seen some evidence of it. I don't know whether it's common to experience very occasional aggression, but behaving OK the rest of the time. Obviously hormonal issues will differ from rabbit to rabbit, but Tui's were just nesting, territorial urinating outside of the litter tray and nosing Tethra's bottom. She had plenty of provocation from Tethra at times, but did not ever react aggressively.

I can understand your concern regarding post spay. Can you tell their poos apart? I would perhaps wait until after their spay to decide and then house them according to how they are. You will be able to tell if they are both eating I would have thought. Tui didn't start eating until mid-way through the first night and then it was only bits and pieces until probably around 24 hours after the spay. I didn't split her from Tethra, but I can tell the difference between their poos. Tui's hormonal behaviour stopped completely after her spay, but I don't think that is always the case.

I think I would leave it at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, after the RHD2 jab, but I would be guided by William's view.

I would feel comfortable getting them spayed a couple of weeks after the RHD2 Vaccination. It takes one week for full immunity then I would leave another week to be sure.

They wouldn't take 6 weeks to heal, in my opinion, I should think a month would be fine. But I wouldn't separate when they are spayed? You'll be able to see who is eating and I am sure it will become evident who is pooing ... I know, spays can seem scary but they usually work out OK :)

Yes I think they may have nipped one another, but I think that's something to weather for the time being.
I certainly wouldn't separate because of small nips, just keep a watchful eye x

This seems quite odd, because I would have thought that if there was aggression between them, you would have seen some evidence of it. I don't know whether it's common to experience very occasional aggression, but behaving OK the rest of the time. Obviously hormonal issues will differ from rabbit to rabbit, but Tui's were just nesting, territorial urinating outside of the litter tray and nosing Tethra's bottom. She had plenty of provocation from Tethra at times, but did not ever react aggressively.

I can understand your concern regarding post spay. Can you tell their poos apart? I would perhaps wait until after their spay to decide and then house them according to how they are. You will be able to tell if they are both eating I would have thought. Tui didn't start eating until mid-way through the first night and then it was only bits and pieces until probably around 24 hours after the spay. I didn't split her from Tethra, but I can tell the difference between their poos. Tui's hormonal behaviour stopped completely after her spay, but I don't think that is always the case.

I think I would leave it at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, after the RHD2 jab, but I would be guided by William's view.

Ah thanks for your opinion on how long to wait, that's really helpful, I will check with William though :)

Unfortunately I can't tell their poops apart :( whole idea stresses me out tbh, I'm gunna take a few days off when they get done so I'm there 24/7 for them, and can keep a close eye on them in the living room.

It seems odd to me too regarding whether it was aggression or not :/ when Atticus and Clementine have a spat which still happens, it's obvious - but never seen the girls be anything but loved up

I would feel comfortable getting them spayed a couple of weeks after the RHD2 Vaccination. It takes one week for full immunity then I would leave another week to be sure.

They wouldn't take 6 weeks to heal, in my opinion, I should think a month would be fine. But I wouldn't separate when they are spayed? You'll be able to see who is eating and I am sure it will become evident who is pooing ... I know, spays can seem scary but they usually work out OK :)

Yes I think they may have nipped one another, but I think that's something to weather for the time being.
I certainly wouldn't separate because of small nips, just keep a watchful eye x

Yea I don't want to separate them at all, I'm just scared they'll be poo.. But only from one and I'll miss something :( I was thinking apart but next to each other just until they were pooping? Or maybe that's not best for them Idk, if what's best, is kept together I'll definitely do that

Yea hopefully no more nibbling each other :) x

Yea I don't want to separate them at all, I'm just scared they'll be poo.. But only from one and I'll miss something :( I was thinking apart but next to each other just until they were pooping? Or maybe that's not best for them Idk, if what's best, is kept together I'll definitely do that

Yea hopefully no more nibbling each other :) x

It's hard not to worry, and easy for me to say as I've had so many bunnies go through operations. But try and chill a bit if you can - look at the broader picture and have confidence in William (which I know you do) to do the job properly :)

It's hard not to worry, and easy for me to say as I've had so many bunnies go through operations. But try and chill a bit if you can - look at the broader picture and have confidence in William (which I know you do) to do the job properly :)

Yea you're right :) I just really hate spay operations [emoji38] in an ideal world I never want to deal with them haha don't feel like I'm properly equipped to do so.

Clementine shook hers off like it was nothing [emoji38] Fleur fell apart, and Atticus who's a boy fell apart for ages too.. I guess maybe it just the individual bunnies reaction. My previous bunny Phoebe when I was 8 had a rough time too, was awful really they didn't give her any painkillers to take home, she was in a bad way :( x

Yea you're right :) I just really hate spay operations [emoji38] in an ideal world I never want to deal with them haha don't feel like I'm properly equipped to do so.

Clementine shook hers off like it was nothing [emoji38] Fleur fell apart, and Atticus who's a boy fell apart for ages too.. I guess maybe it just the individual bunnies reaction. My previous bunny Phoebe when I was 8 had a rough time too, was awful really they didn't give her any painkillers to take home, she was in a bad way :( x

That's really sad for Phoebe. I guess vets then didn't think bunnies felt pain. As if!!

It would almost be worth you handing them over to someone until the spay is over and two gentle bunnies are handed back to you :love:
(not realistic I know, but would be nice!)

Back