• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daphne attacking Phoebe - a health issue?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I hope someone can help advise me.

I just got the girls back from holiday. They stayed at their boarders for 9 days and for the last two visits, Daphne has attacked Phoebe.

We've used this boarder since day 1 (so just under 3 years) and its only been this last year we've had issues.

Both times boarder has dealt with it and the bond survived however I'm starting to wonder if there could be ovary tissue still left in Daphne which is causing her to be extremely territorial lately. (She's gradually increasing in marking around the house etc)

This time Daphne spent 3 days scent marking everwhere, on the first day she attacked Phoebe. Boarder went running as she heard Phoebe scream and found Daphne on top of Phoebe, trying to bite her neck. No injury sustained from what boarder could see & I've found no signs of injury. Boarder put both girls into their carry case together within sight while she recleaned and reneuteralised the area they were staying in. Once back in they seemed settled and no more fighting, just lots of scent marking from Daphne.

So onto my question - I know territory change can cause aggression, as can smelling another bun, seeing another bun etc. But Daphne was neuetered young, is it possible there is some ovary left, which has been gradually building up hormone levels? Cound it be due to her heart murmer? What can we do to prevent a repeat? We've due to go away in August for a long weekend & I'm worried about leaving them.

ETA: Just after I finished typing this Daphne sprayed under the piano and left a little scent marking urine where she was stood. Phoebe seems slightly nervous of Daphne.

Last edited:
Its always possible but I'd think it more likely to be referred aggression if it coincides with being in boarding.

Its always possible but I'd think it more likely to be referred aggression if it coincides with being in boarding.

I would agree with Amy and I don't think I would alter that view unless it started to happen at home and not just after boarding. It might be worth discussing it with your boarder and trying to understand what it is that kicks it off.

Thank you both.

We can't find any cause. We thought last time it was due to a thunder storm, but this time weather was perfect etc.

She difinfects and neuteralises before buns go into enclosures. Walls are covered so the girls can't see any other buns. She uses two of everything with the girls & ensures all hides have an enterance and exit so no one is boxed in.

Are there other buns in close proximity? The scent does not have to be in their particular enclosure, just the vicinity in general.

Is one the dominant bunny. I wonder if it's some kind of separation problem, being away from their territory and you and it's confusing them. Could you find someone to look after them at home. I have noticed from quite a few threads that people have had problems with their rabbits after being in boarding. Difficult!

I have noticed from quite a few threads that people have had problems with their rabbits after being in boarding.

When mine used to go into boarding the boarders always remarked how mine were pretty much the only bunnies who didn't have any problems with referred aggression, it was really common.

I always put it down to the fact that I had a lot of bunnies and they were used to the sight and smell of other buns, plus I often had newbies.

Amy - while they were there this time there were guinea pigs, but no other rabbits. They've been there before with other rabbits next door and not had any issues. Its just been the last two times they've been at the boarders that we've had issues.

Tonibun - Daphne is the dominant bun. She's a stress head naturally so we make sure to use pet remedy with her as it helps keep her more calm. She went into boarding last month at the vets as the usual boarder was on holiday. No fighting at all then and they had another bun (entire male) living above them. Its odd as they've gone into boarding at least 3 times a year for the last three years and its only been two times this year we've had issues.

I can't have anyone look after them at home due to my own issues & the fact that Daphne is prone to stasis & Phoebe is prone to dental issues so I'd need someone with them more than twice a day.

I'd completely understand the referred aggression issues, if we'd had the issue multiple times in the past but we've not had it before & this time there were no other buns in the area to cause it. She's always been boarded next to guinea pigs and never had an issue (its solid to prevent any interaction between pens)

Last edited:
Maybe it’s because it’s so hot this year. Perhaps there’s a change in temperature at the Boarders and Daphne notices it more? Just a thought. X

Maybe it’s because it’s so hot this year. Perhaps there’s a change in temperature at the Boarders and Daphne notices it more? Just a thought. X
Could be this time around.

It's just odd as it only happened once, on the first day and confining them to a carrier for an hour before putting them back in the same enclosure stopped the fighting.

Last time it wasn't hot, we were still in winter weather.

They've been fine since home minus Daphne scent marking and spraying everything.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The behaviour has now started at home :cry:
They've been bonded just under 3 years... I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

The behaviour has now started at home :cry:
They've been bonded just under 3 years... I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

:( I hope not too. I hope they can resettle. Is it worth talking through your concerns with your vet? C'mon girls, be nice. Is it just Daphne off on one or is Phoebe playing up too?

:( I hope not too. I hope they can resettle. Is it worth talking through your concerns with your vet? C'mon girls, be nice. Is it just Daphne off on one or is Phoebe playing up too?
It's just Daphne. She gets really bad spring fever but that settled... it's almost like it's coming back with vengeance this summer.

I'll try and give my vet a call tomorrow between shifts.

Okay. I really don't get what is going on with them... they had a fight (phoebe was avoiding as Daphne was just being mean).

This is them right now and Daphne has groomed Phoebe tummy etc.
a3ece0afd8440780c5528417362b1950.jpg

I really hope they settle down. Maybe moving territory has affected them, so they’ve had to reassert dominance?

Back