• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on Free ads/hutches Update - she's here!

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Hi

I have been looking for a new bunny to bond with my boy since I lost his wifey last month, but all the rescues near me have only males or bonded pairs. So, I usually stay off free add sites as it is too upsetting for me but, have noticed a free add for a bun in a tiny hutch, "kids not playing with her any more" usual story. I know there are so many buns like this but this little one is sat next to the mesh of the hutch and her body takes up half the space in the hutch. She looks so sad and I feel a huge pull to try and help her. (She doesn't look like she even has hay :( )

The thing is the lady giving her away is also selling the hutch and accessories (which looks like just a dirty water bottle and bowl) for 30 quid - I'd be surprised if anyone would pay that tbh. The hutch barely looks 3 foot long and is horrible.

So my ethical conundrum is, if I do get this bunny, do I also buy the hutch and dispose of it correctly so no animal is subjected to it, or would that count as paying for a rabbit and be wrong? I am completely against selling animals for profit but hate the idea of this hutch ending up with someone else, along with her recommendation that it is great for rabbits. Any one have any thoughts?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with it. But then, I'm not against selling animals for profit either - as long as they're bred properly, taken care of properly and found good homes for (in the case of breeders).

With this, it's not even really "for profit". The owner is charging 30 quid to try to ensure that the rabbit goes to a good home and to try to make back some of what they 'lost' in buying the hutch/accessories. They're not really making a profit. And it sounds like a one off thing anyway e.g. their kid got bored so now they're getting rid.

Hi

I have been looking for a new bunny to bond with my boy since I lost his wifey last month, but all the rescues near me have only males or bonded pairs. So, I usually stay off free add sites as it is too upsetting for me but, have noticed a free add for a bun in a tiny hutch, "kids not playing with her any more" usual story. I know there are so many buns like this but this little one is sat next to the mesh of the hutch and her body takes up half the space in the hutch. She looks so sad and I feel a huge pull to try and help her. (She doesn't look like she even has hay :( )

The thing is the lady giving her away is also selling the hutch and accessories (which looks like just a dirty water bottle and bowl) for 30 quid - I'd be surprised if anyone would pay that tbh. The hutch barely looks 3 foot long and is horrible.

So my ethical conundrum is, if I do get this bunny, do I also buy the hutch and dispose of it correctly so no animal is subjected to it, or would that count as paying for a rabbit and be wrong? I am completely against selling animals for profit but hate the idea of this hutch ending up with someone else, along with her recommendation that it is great for rabbits. Any one have any thoughts?

On Freeads what is 'said' is often a pack of porkies. The 'Doe' may be a Buck, the woman may have other Rabbits and if the one being sold is a Doe she may be pregnant

The Rabbit may have established health problems- eg Dental (you mention not seeing any evidence of hay)

The Rabbit is unlikely to have ever been vaccinated. 100% quarantine from Bellatrix would be needed initially

If you are prepared for and can cope with any of the above scenarios, can afford the additional expense of another Rabbit (neutering/vaccinating/'unforseen' Vet Bills) then I'd arrange to go and see the Rabbit.

I'd take along a few RWAF Welfare Leaflets and hand them to the woman with the £30.00, if you decide to take the Rabbit. I'd take the hutch etc, smash it all up and burn it.

You can print these pages off, which if the woman bothers to read them may educate her and stop her going out and buying another Rabbit in a few weeks time.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/think-you-want-a-rabbit/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/rabbit-housing-environment-health/

Good luck :) xx

Hi

We rescued two boy bunnies and they had no hay and pellets only. Luckily they had no teeth problems and obviously they had to be neutered/vaccinated. They are the loveliest little bunnies.

I think it's really rewarding and I really admire people who do it on the forum for example thethreebees & tonibun. Just maybe be prepared to expect the worse and get them insuranced asap. If you can afford to do it I think it's one less bunny a rescue has to pay for, one less ****** hutch, one happy bunny. But that's just my opinion :D xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi

Hi there :D

I agree with you, I have found it difficult to find single rabbits to bond in Rescues on occasions and have looked in the freeads too. People have said that pairs are more popular to rehome from Rescue Centres but my experience hasn't proved that to be true. I believe many Rescues feel that single rabbits are easier to rehome also, but don't have so many.

I am sure you'e already taken on board the issues such as the rabbit may be either sex, not neutered or vaccinated etc or you wouldn't have got this far? So I'll simply answer your question concerning whether it's ethical to 'pay' for this rabbit and hutch.

You are most certainly rescuing the rabbit and not paying a breeder, if that's what concerns you. I have never paid for a rabbit through the freeads as once people realise the home I'm going to give their rabbit they are more than willing to give them to me for free, even if previously they intended to charge.

I would pay for the rabbit/hutch if that's what you wish to do, and then dispose of the hutch or use it for whatever purpose you feel it's fit (shelter in a run or such like). It may be fit for nothing :)

I think you should go for it! My Plumpkin was £10 on freeads and I went for it because I could see she was suffering a lot and I needed to get her out of there. She has had a lot of health problems due to being fed an improper diet, but this isn't always the case.

It has been very rewarding to help her come out of her shell and to give her two companions whom she will share her forever home with. Keep us updated :D

Thanks loobers :wave:

I've done this on a number of occasions, it's become my 'thing' :). I love to be able to help these kinds of buns that haven't made it as far as a rescue and might continue to live in the grotty hutches they do currently. If it were me, I would take the hutch and get rid.

Just to say, as long as you are aware of the potential pitfalls (as mentioned above) and could cope with them (financially or otherwise) then it is a really rewarding experience.

Good luck x

Well, about charging for rabbits on freeads: I charge well above meat price, because those rabbits I sell, I don't want them to become dinner or dog food. It's not much work and time put in raising them considered, also when one thinks about that everything else is more expensive than the actual animal I'm going to enjoy for about 10 years.
There might be room for some haggling, but well, I don't see anything wrong with paying for what I want.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I have rescued off gumtree once 11 years ago and only lost my Bronwyn late last year. But she was "free to good home" so I didn't have to worry about the payment at all. I also have taken in another similar bunny but was told about her from a friend. I got very lucky with Bronwyn and she only needed one dental and spaying but my most recent girl Molly had recurrent teeth issues as well as issues with her bladder/ kidneys from not being given water and we only had her for just under two years. But they were totally worth it.

I guess I have this inbuilt rule that no money should be paid just in case it acts as an incentive, but I do believe that this is a one off for an unwanted "children's pet" and will be her only chance at not being given to someone elses kid and spending the rest of her life in the tiny hutch. Also I feel such a strong urge to help her and can't get her little face out of my head.

It would be easier for me to find a single rescue bun who is already spayed and can be introduced to Logan before I commit, but this way another bun is out of a bad situation and Logan gets a wifey bun again. Plus Logan is so friendly with other buns I think he'd bond with just about anyone! I just got a message from the lady selling her that she still 'wants rid as soon as' and I'm hoping to pick her up on Friday to give me time to set up a separate quarentine area for her til she's spayed and healed. I'll keep everyone updated! I do hope she is a girl as it would make things interesting if bunny ends up being a boy!

I know Friday is so far away :( If I could get her earlier I would but I'm away celebrating my mum's 60th and can't get her any earlier. I'd be devastated if I couldn't rescue her now that I've fallen for her. I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the lady keeps her til then...

I know Friday is so far away :( If I could get her earlier I would but I'm away celebrating my mum's 60th and can't get her any earlier. I'd be devastated if I couldn't rescue her now that I've fallen for her. I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the lady keeps her til then...

If you're meant to have her, she will still be there for you :D

So I couldn't quite wait until Friday. The owners started saying a few strange things and saying that they had other interest from a family with kids. So... I came home early and picked her up today!

She is very beautiful, started off terrified but has come to nibble my shoelaces. I'm pretty smitten! :love:

She is a little girl and doesn't seem in too poor condition, however she hasn't ever had hay and she is missing her tail. We have named her Lacey but have also called her Stumpy as a nick-name :)

Pics to follow! (If I can figure out how to post them! It's been a while)

So I couldn't quite wait until Friday. The owners started saying a few strange things and saying that they had other interest from a family with kids. So... I came home early and picked her up today!

She is very beautiful, started off terrified but has come to nibble my shoelaces. I'm pretty smitten! :love:

She is a little girl and doesn't seem in too poor condition, however she hasn't ever had hay and she is missing her tail. We have named her Lacey but have also called her Stumpy as a nick-name :)

Pics to follow! (If I can figure out how to post them! It's been a while)

Bless you :love:

And she sounds like an angel, poor wee thing :love:

I am so glad she is now safe with you. Rabbits get dumped at times if owners don't want them anymore. Not everyone is decent. Hope she settles well, pity about her little tail, I wonder what happened. A rabbit was found abandoned in a bus shelter on the Island minus tail!

Glad you got her, hope she settles well and bonding goes smoothly when the time comes. One of my bunnies has no tail, just a big fluffy butt :lol:

Back