• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bump on ear

slamality

New Kit
Hey guys, new rabbit owners of 1 month now posting again for my worried girlfriend! We noticed our little guy has almost a nickel sized pretty firm bump on one of his ears, as well as a much smaller one inside the ear. We haven't noticed it before and it doesn't seem to bother him when we touch it. Any help and advice is appreciated!
e1ccffa2a9de434912f0d655e853c20b.jpg
e1f3a47fb33c6c741c74d649205fd300.jpg
34c24d6c922f21ba6935a5a33b1cf8e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Has he recently (within the last few weeks) had a vaccination against Myxomatosis/RHD ?

Have you noticed that he is scratching his ear(s) and/or shaking his head a lot ?

Has he recently (within the last few weeks) had a vaccination against Myxomatosis/RHD ?

Have you noticed that he is scratching his ear(s) and/or shaking his head a lot ?
He hasn't been scratching so much but yes he does shake his head a good bit every now and again. No vaccinations that we know of, but possibly at the pet store which we're looking into.

He hasn't been scratching so much but yes he does shake his head a good bit every now and again. No vaccinations that we know of, but possibly at the pet store which we're looking into.

I would get your Vet to examine him, his head shaking may be due to the fact that his ear(s) are irritating him. This could be due to ear mites or a build up of 'gunk' in the ear canal. The Vet will use an otoscope to obtain a good look deep into his ears.

I very much doubt that a Pet Shop would have vaccinated him. Have you checked for any 'bumps' anywhere else- eg around his mouth, nose,eyes or his genitals ?

Hey guys, new rabbit owners of 1 month now posting again for my worried girlfriend! We noticed our little guy has almost a nickel sized pretty firm bump on one of his ears, as well as a much smaller one inside the ear. We haven't noticed it before and it doesn't seem to bother him when we touch it. Any help and advice is appreciated!
e1ccffa2a9de434912f0d655e853c20b.jpg
e1f3a47fb33c6c741c74d649205fd300.jpg
34c24d6c922f21ba6935a5a33b1cf8e5.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

What a gorgeous little guy you have there!

I should get the vet to take a look. On first glance (though it doesn't look typical) it could be ear mites:

(graphic images!)
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Or perhaps check for an ear infection:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

It could also be because he's nicked the ear, either with his nails or on something and it's come up into a little swelling.

Back