• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brexit & Medicines - Human & Vet

orangediva

Mama Doe
Anyone else starting to worry about this?

I have zero confidence in the ability of our politicians and, as a nurse, I’m feeling a little concerned re the supply chain of our medicines. There have been several “shortages” recently including Co Amoxiclav, a widely used antibiotic and intravenous Frusemide, used in life threatening heart failure plus others. In 30 years in the NHS I can’t remember this many gaps in supply, can’t say if it’s related to Brexit I must admit - but how can it not affect the supply chain of essentials we get from Europe?

Filavac, as I understand it, is imported from France? How many other essential vet meds and vaccinations also are from EU countries? What might happen to prices and availability to something like Filavac?

As I said, I’ve no confidence in the numpties paid to negotiate this stuff and I feel we, the people, are sleepwalking into areas that could be disastrous for us and our pets. I’m getting nervous.

I can't comment on the medical side, but in general I'm incredibly nervous about the whole thing and still maintain it is madness. I feel utterly powerless though.

Last edited:
Anyone else starting to worry about this?

I have zero confidence in the ability of our politicians and, as a nurse, I’m feeling a little concerned re the supply chain of our medicines. There have been several “shortages” recently including Co Amoxiclav, a widely used antibiotic and intravenous Frusemide, used in life threatening heart failure plus others. In 30 years in the NHS I can’t remember this many gaps in supply, can’t say if it’s related to Brexit I must admit - but how can it not affect the supply chain of essentials we get from Europe?

Filavac, as I understand it, is imported from France? How many other essential vet meds and vaccinations also are from EU countries? What might happen to prices and availability to something like Filavac?

As I said, I’ve no confidence in the numpties paid to negotiate this stuff and I feel we, the people, are sleepwalking into areas that could be disastrous for us and our pets. I’m getting nervous.

Yes, Brexit has worried me for over two years now and I'm afraid I have become increasingly angry during that time with the majority of UK politicians. This in my view is not only down to a lack of ability.

Regarding medicines, I presume you are aware that the Government lost the vote yesterday evening in the House regarding an amendment put forward to the Trade and Customs Bill forcing the UK's continued participation in the European Medicines Agency? This is of course only a part of the concern. I agree with you regarding the future problems with supply chains.

It is a complete and shambolic mess :(

Yes, Brexit has worried me for over two years now and I'm afraid I have become increasingly angry during that time with the majority of UK politicians. This in my view is not only down to a lack of ability.

Regarding medicines, I presume you are aware that the Government lost the vote yesterday evening in the House regarding an amendment put forward to the Trade and Customs Bill forcing the UK's continued participation in the European Medicines Agency? This is of course only a part of the concern. I agree with you regarding the future problems with supply chains.

It is a complete and shambolic mess :(

Agreed. I have been told (by a Pharmacist) that we can expect problems with the supply of some Branded Prescription Drugs if they are made in the EU.

As for the situation re Animal Welfare post Brexit................ :cry:

Back