• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

using essential oils ok with bunnies?

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
I want to use some olbas (spelling?) oil with my bunnie. I know from the info I was given with her she gets snotty easily especially if her fgood is dusty. Shes got a funny tummy atm which I am giving her yougart for but diaty products increase mucus and I think she sounds more snotty to be. I want to try and reduce that to make sure she doesn't need a trip to the vets. Will they be ok an essential oils?

I use Olbas oil on a hankie or towel in the hutch. The smell lasts all night and it does work with snotty buns! helped svae Clios life imho.

AmberUK said:
I want to use some olbas (spelling?) oil with my bunnie. I know from the info I was given with her she gets snotty easily especially if her fgood is dusty. Shes got a funny tummy atm which I am giving her yougart for but diaty products increase mucus and I think she sounds more snotty to be. I want to try and reduce that to make sure she doesn't need a trip to the vets. Will they be ok an essential oils?

Dairy products should never be fed to Rabbits as they can not digest them properly.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/yogurt.htm

Louise

I tried olbas with my first rabbit Fudge when they thought he had a chest infection.

The vet actually recommended that I run a v.v.v. hot bath and put lots of olbas in it then sit with poor Fudge in the bathroom while he breathed in the steamy olbas fumes.

Don't know about him but it did my sinuses a world of good ;)!!

I have also used oil soaks from gorgeousguineas.com (after a patch test) wonderfully soothing to their skin (both guineas and rabbits) and makes them smell great!

I would suggest using a probiotic such as Avipro which comes in powdered form and can be put in their water or sprinkled over food instead of yoghurt.

Caz

Oh right the vet said the youguart would be ok and not do any halm. It worked for two days and then we were back to cow pat land :( That will teach me for giving her carrots eh?

I did do a cup of hot water and when you move it close to them they tend to sniff it themselves. (keeping it away from them) I will try the bath thing!

Back