• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would you approach nursery staff about their rabbit?

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
We were viewing nurseries yesterday and the one Holly will be attending have a pet rabbit which they keenly pointed out.

The rabbit was in a standard indoor 'hutch' but had no hay at all just woodshavings. I want to obviously say something but unsure how to go about it. Do I just take in some hay and say I thought the bun might appreciate this or what?

I would also probably think this rabbit doesn't get out much as I wouldn't think it practical for her to be running around the children throughout the day - makes me so sad :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone will be along soon with better advise, but I would take some hay and one of the RWAF rabbit care booklets, then keep my fingers crossed they read and act appropriately
Well done for looking out for this bun

As above. Some hay & RWAF info sheet.

Hopefully Holly will also advise them on proper rabbit care ;)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes was going to say the same, the ‘on the hop’ booklet I think it’s called has lots of good info. Or maybe a book aimed at nursery age kids if there is such a thing, in a ‘we bought this for Holly but don’t need it any more, thought it would be useful for the nursery’ kind of way?

I'm sure someone will be along soon with better advise, but I would take some hay and one of the RWAF rabbit care booklets, then keep my fingers crossed they read and act appropriately
Well done for looking out for this bun

Yes, I agree with this :thumb:

I'd write an anonymous letter saying how you're concerned about the rabbits welfare due to (inappropriate hutch, no hay, no bonded friend etc) and how it's not a good message to send to the children. Sometimes the school is completely ignorant to how badly they're caring for the school pet and are quite keen to improve or rehome the pet.

I think it would be a good idea to print off/get leaflets from the RSPCA to make it more 'official'. I hope no one takes offence but a letter from an individual and leaflets from a rabbit organisation that they've probably not heard of could be seen as 'oh its just some crazy rabbit lady and some activist organisation with unrealistic expectations' whereas the RSPCA is much more well known and the staff probably(hopefully) have respect for. I'd definitely include some RWAF stuff but I'd probably print out at least a page from the rspca to show that a huge well respected animal welfare group backs up all this information that you and the RWAF have said :)

Also another angle....emphasize the fact that hay is cheap, great for keeping their teeth in check, excellent for healthy guts and all of that means a healthier bunny with less chance of needing a vet for some health problems.

Cost effective for the school!!

Back