• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding a friend for new bunny

karent

New Kit
Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I am due to collect a male bunny, approximately 1 year old, from a rescue centre this weekend. I did go with the intention of bringing 2 home but if I am honest I fell in love this one even though he was on his own.

He is due to have the operation that little boys have today and I am just looking for advice as to how soon I could pair him up with a friend and also if anyone has any tips for me on the best approach for me to take with this.

Thanks

Congratulations on the new bunny :D

After castration a male rabbit is still fertile for approximately 4 weeks. This means you'll have to wait until then unless the new bunny is also neutered.

If you choose a second bunny that is neutered then I would wait 7-10 days until he is healed up.

The easiest match is boy to girl and you can either pick him a lady friend or if the rescue will let you take him along (after the 4 weeks) to meet suitable rabbits and let him pick.

Tam

I heartily recommend taking him along to the rescue and bonding him there. The easiest bonding we ever had was when we took Monopoly shopping for a boyfriend. We found a boy we liked, popped them both into a neutral run and that was it. Love at first sight. Brought them home in the same carry case and they haven't been separated since.

The combination of letting her have a say, the completely neutral territory for the initial meeting, and then huddling together during the 'scary' car journey home was everything they needed to make friends. Every other bonding we've done has been at home and has been a lot more stressful.

So have a word with the rescue when you go to pick up your little boy and ask them if they also run a dating service.

Back