• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: Lump is bigger

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I wanted to update you all about my rabbit, Jack's, lump. I had taken him to the vets a few weeks ago as he had a lump under his armpit. I guess it was about the size of a small plum at that point. I took him in to the vets who aspirated it and only old blood came out. He diagnoised him with a hematoma.

Jack is going for a second opinion today as the lump has spread and is now as large as a mandarin orange and spread across his chest. It is very obvious now and getting in the way of his front leg when walking.

I'm taking him to a vet that I used to take all my pets too, but this Vet is out of town so I switched to a closer one. I was going to take him back to the original Vet but they can't see Jack until Sunday. And the lump is growing significantly everyday.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm so worried.

I cannot offer advice as to what the lump could be, but I hope that he gets on OK when he is examined by the vet.

I can’t offer any advice, but I’m sending lots of vibes, I hope the vet can help xx

I wanted to update you all about my rabbit, Jack's, lump. I had taken him to the vets a few weeks ago as he had a lump under his armpit. I guess it was about the size of a small plum at that point. I took him in to the vets who aspirated it and only old blood came out. He diagnoised him with a hematoma.

Jack is going for a second opinion today as the lump has spread and is now as large as a mandarin orange and spread across his chest. It is very obvious now and getting in the way of his front leg when walking.

I'm taking him to a vet that I used to take all my pets too, but this Vet is out of town so I switched to a closer one. I was going to take him back to the original Vet but they can't see Jack until Sunday. And the lump is growing significantly everyday.

An uncomplicated Haematoma should have begun to resolve itself by now.
I think you're right to see another vet and get this re-assessed.

For haematomas I've found conventional meds/procedures have their limitations in correcting the problem, and I have had to turn (always with the complete approval of my vet) to alternative treatments to resolve them.

I hope you can manage this problem for Jack x

I hope that the Vet whom you will be consulting for a second opinion will be able to offer some answers. Further diagnostics are going to be more helpful now I think x

Thankfully Jack was able to see my favorite Vet from when I lived in that area. It was about a 45 min drive but I felt he did an excellent job examining him. He believes it is cancer. Blood has been taken from the lump and sent to their lab. I should have a definitive answer by Tues at the latest.

It is not an abcess or a fatty tumour. The lump is attached by a stalk near his armpit but it can be palpated all around. It is hard and has an irregular shape. It doesn't seem to be causing him any pain.

He did really well at the Vets and was even eating hay in the car ride. He has no other symptoms, just this fast growing lump.

Thankfully Jack was able to see my favorite Vet from when I lived in that area. It was about a 45 min drive but I felt he did an excellent job examining him. He believes it is cancer. Blood has been taken from the lump and sent to their lab. I should have a definitive answer by Tues at the latest.

It is not an abcess or a fatty tumour. The lump is attached by a stalk near his armpit but it can be palpated all around. It is hard and has an irregular shape. It doesn't seem to be causing him any pain.

He did really well at the Vets and was even eating hay in the car ride. He has no other symptoms, just this fast growing lump.

Oh I am sorry to hear this. But at least Jack sounds to be happy and comfortable within himself. I hope he continues to do so. I am sure that you must be very worried and upset. I will keep checking back on here for updates, meanwhile please give Jack a nose rub from me :love:

I’m so sorry the news isn’t better :cry: I’m sending more vibes for him, and hugs for you xx

So sorry to hear this news about Jack, at least he is comfortable, and I hope that continues. Hugs for you and many vibes for your brave bunny xxxx

Sorry you have had this news. He sounds happy and comfortable though I hope he continues like that for as long as possible x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Oh I'm so sorry to her this :(

You're the one who's going to be worrying as young Jack is blissfully unaware and still making the most of life by the sounds of it.
I am praying for a good outcome and will wait for your update on his condition.

Thank you so much everyone. Part of me refuses to believe it until I get the bloodwork back. Logically I know it is cancer but I guess I'm in denial. I'm just going to enjoy my time with him. He has been a wonderful rabbit and I feel really lucky to have had him so long. All the rest of his siblings have passed away. His brother died from lymphoma. :(

My main worry is that I don't know what to do for his companion once he has passed. She is only 5 years old and I'm not sure if I'll get another bunny. I might move her inside...but I'm not sure if that will be too traumatizing for her. They live in a large chain length fence style cage with a proper roof and 2 level hutch inside. But in the winter I have an outbuilding for them and I feel she would be so isolated there. I find it is worry me a lot.

Thank you so much everyone. Part of me refuses to believe it until I get the bloodwork back. Logically I know it is cancer but I guess I'm in denial. I'm just going to enjoy my time with him. He has been a wonderful rabbit and I feel really lucky to have had him so long. All the rest of his siblings have passed away. His brother died from lymphoma. :(

My main worry is that I don't know what to do for his companion once he has passed. She is only 5 years old and I'm not sure if I'll get another bunny. I might move her inside...but I'm not sure if that will be too traumatizing for her. They live in a large chain length fence style cage with a proper roof and 2 level hutch inside. But in the winter I have an outbuilding for them and I feel she would be so isolated there. I find it is worry me a lot.

I would put that worry to one side for now. Easier said than done, I know. But one day at a time at the moment. I hope that Jack is still doing OK within himself xx

Thanks Jane, yes I just have to see how it all goes. Jack is fine but definitley slower than normal but that could also be his age. He still wants his treats asap! Hahaha.

I would see how things go. Jack may have much more time left yet, and so long as he remains unaware of his diagnosis then he will continue to enjoy your love and care and that of his partner.

I always think that in circumstances like this some solution presents itself at the time. We can't imagine what that will be, or when it will be, but things have a habit of sorting out once we've explored possibilities.

Sending ongoing vibes for you, Jack and the family :love:

Back