• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awkward situation so advice needed please.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
A lovely friend of mine had a kidney and pancreas transplant just before Christmas 2017, so I've been caring for her 11year old bunny in the meantime. Now because my friend has a compromised immune system she is very concerned about having her bunny back home, just in case bunny is a carrier of EC and also if my friend has to go to hospital at short notice, who will care for her bunny? Luna the bunny is still quite active however due to her age unable to keep her bottie clean and would be an easy target for flystrike if I was not checking and tidying up her bottie several times a day.

My partner and I are hoping to be moving to Scotland soon, along with my little bunny and two guinea pigs. Dylan my bunny, and Luna are not bonded but have a lovely friendship, very unique in my experience and to separate them in my opinion would be such a shame.

Luna isn't mine though so the decision is in the hands of her owner.

Facts to consider:

My friend would not be able to offer Luna the same level of care that I do.

Luna and Dylan are very happy in their own way and to part them would be a pity. Being an old bunny, Luna is very accepting of Dylan which is just as well as he is slightly autistic and does not 'read' most bunnies well at all. Luna doesn't pose any threat to him so their friendship is very special and unique.

In my care, Luna has access to the garden most days and has plenty going on to enrich her life....when she's not fast asleep and snoring that is!!

The journey to Scotland would be done over a couple of days and they'd be in my little car with me and have an overnight stay somewhere suitable for us all.

Deep down I think my friend knows that she has to do what is best for Luna, but her heart is wanting Luna home. My friend knows that her health could be put under even greater risk if she were to contract some illness via Luna and that really does frighten her for obvious reasons.

I love Luna as if she were my own and would always put her welfare alongside that of my own furry family.

What do you reckon my wise RU friends?

Last edited:
I thought your friend had already agreed that Luna was better staying with you and that you were going to care for her (Luna, not your friend) for the rest of her life?

Having seen the relationship Luna and Dylan share I agree that it would be cruel to separate them. I think they are bonded - although not in the conventional way - and living as they do enriches life for both of them.

Having said that, Scotland is a very long way away and Luna is an elderly bunny. I can understand your friend being anxious about her undertaking the journey at her age. I think if I were in your position I would take advice from my vet on the best thing to do for her. Both you and your friend love Luna and want her to be happy but your vet won't have the emotional attachment to her so will be able to make a more objective decision.

Your gang have an amazing life with you and if the vet thinks Luna could cope with such a long journey I think it would be best for her and Dylan to stay together.

She should definitely stay with you. Yes, it is a long journey, but you will take every care to make it as stress-free as possible and she will have a much better quality of life with you. A heartbreaking decision for her owner - but I'm sure she will put Luna's interests first.

I am assuming that Luna will be moving with you.
Promise to keep sending your friend pictures and videos of Luna - at least a weekly update.
Maybe get a special framed photo of her and Luna that she can have with her wherever she is.
Find out what she would like to happen to Luna should she need vet treatment, or should the worst happen. She may take comfort eg knowing that she will have Luna's ashes back.

Thanks for the replies.

Bit for info I forgot to mention in my original post.

If Luna should pass away whilst in my care, I do know what to do as my friend and I have already discussed this.

My friend is happy to see photos of Luna and I've said that she is welcome to just come and have a little visit, however my friend says she would want to be taking Luna home with her and that's not in Luna's best interests.

I think it's the distance that is worrying my friend...she won't come and visit Luna even though I'm only 30 miles away right now, so the distance itself shouldn't be a problem but it appears to be so.

If Luna were to return back to her mum and became ill and the worst case scenario were to happen, then my friend would never forgive herself for not caring for Luna as well as I can.

This is a tough one, but deep down I honestly believe that Luna is best to stay with Dylan and myself and I'll do my utmost to make sure their journey is as stress free as possible. Her life with me would continue to be one filled with love and she would want for nothing as do all the little ones in my care.

Luna is on no medication, as bright as a button, healthy appetite and healthy poos!!

In a nutshell, my friend would love to have Luna back....that's what her heart wants, but her head says the opposite.

Last edited:
My friend is still undecided as to what to do for the best.

Best for the bunny would be to stay in my care as I can attend to her (age related) needs so much more easily than her owner can, and deep down her owner know this. Bunny has a lovely relationship with Dylan, my 8 year old bunny and to separate them would be such a shame. I'd imagine each of them would wonder what the heck has happened to the other one.

Bunny is not mine though, so I cannot make the decision, only guide my friend as to what really is best for her bunny and to put her own wants to one side on this occasion.

After a lengthy and heartfelt discussion with my friend, we have reached a decision as regards what is best for Luna.

She will stay with me, and I'll send my friend updates and photographs.

The final decision has been helped by the fact that my friend had a heart to heart with her vet and even though my friend would love to have Luna back with her, she has to face the facts about how she could care for her, maybe trips to the hospital and who would look after Luna in her absence and the worst case scenario..if my friend became ill because she had 'caught' something from her bunny.

It's been a very difficult situation, however I am somewhat relieved that Luna will remain in my care for the rest of her life. Phew...

Just caught this thread, but so pleased that your friend has agreed to let Luna stay in your loving care. When I moved up here, almost six years ago, it was done in one trip. My friend drove me up in a rented van, with my cat in one large dog crate, and my (then two) bunnies in a smaller one. It took us 9 1/2 hours due to a couple of stops, and the dreaded road works we encountered. I was a nervous wreck, all three critters were absolutely fine ! Onward and upward Mrs B :thumb:

Back