• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit care back up

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Do you have anyone who can take care of your rabbits / knows how to, in your absence?

I was seriously 'man down' last night, I haven't felt so ill in a long time. I think it was a migraine, the pain was unbelievable!

I told my dd she would have to look after the rabbits for me (she's the most competent) while i was suffering in bed. However I hadn't taken into account what a challenge this would be, resulting in an upset, stressed daughter, an irate dh and complete carnage! My dh was trying to tidy up from tea, our ds needed settling for bed and one of the dogs had weed on the kitchen floor!

Due to the weather I've been leaving the shed / playhouse doors open with various contraptions covering the entrances. My dd didn't know which were the right keys, so couldn't get in. She didn't feel up to preparing their veg and was unsure of how many pellets they all have and all the while it's getting darker outside.

I had to come down and struggle to finish things off, but it has highlighted a potential issue. If I had not been able to come down or I couldnt be here on another occasion, no one else would have a clue.

My dh has suggested I prepare a manual of how to care for them, which should avoid this in the future.

x

Bless, I hope you are feeling better now. A mannual sounds like a great plan.My OH doesn't do much but on a weekly-ish basis I get him to change litter trays, forage etc to keep his hand in. I try & get him up to speed on certain issues & talk him through less frequent jobs eg bunny pedicures etc. A few months ago when I was at work he got Mouse through a stasis episode

Hi all,

Do you have anyone who can take care of your rabbits / knows how to, in your absence?

I was seriously 'man down' last night, I haven't felt so ill in a long time. I think it was a migraine, the pain was unbelievable!

I told my dd she would have to look after the rabbits for me (she's the most competent) while i was suffering in bed. However I hadn't taken into account what a challenge this would be, resulting in an upset, stressed daughter, an irate dh and complete carnage! My dh was trying to tidy up from tea, our ds needed settling for bed and one of the dogs had weed on the kitchen floor!

Due to the weather I've been leaving the shed / playhouse doors open with various contraptions covering the entrances. My dd didn't know which were the right keys, so couldn't get in. She didn't feel up to preparing their veg and was unsure of how many pellets they all have and all the while it's getting darker outside.

I had to come down and struggle to finish things off, but it has highlighted a potential issue. If I had not been able to come down or I couldnt be here on another occasion, no one else would have a clue.

My dh has suggested I prepare a manual of how to care for them,
which should avoid this in the future.

x

I have done exactly that. I have included details of any specific dietary issues each Rabbit may have, details of any longterm treatment they may be on (although the people who would step in to help would already know about the latter)

I also have very experienced and well qualified people who would insure the welfare of my 4 Rabbits

I carry one of these with me at all times

DuxLeep.jpg

I have done exactly that. I have included details of any specific dietary issues each Rabbit may have, details of any longterm treatment they may be on (although the people who would step in to help would already know about the latter)

I also have very experienced and well qualified people who would insure the welfare of my 4 Rabbits

I carry one of these with me at all times

DuxLeep.jpg
I have one of those cards should really fill it out [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Not really. I have a Home for Life arrangement with the RSPCA if I should die but that's it. Funnily enough, after 20 years of having a lot of rabbits, my neighbour said if ever I couldn't do it she would be happy to come in. I don't think she really knows what she is letting herself in for. :lol: It's the same if you have a small child and on your own, you've just got to look after them, no matter how you are feeling.

I’ve got a file with details of all my rabbits, their favourite foods, when to feed them, etc. I’m lucky enough to have several family members who could step in but you never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,

My dh has suggested I prepare a manual of how to care for them, which should avoid this in the future.

x

This is a very good idea, and I had to produce this at short notice recently so I know how complicated it can be! Also, it changes as to the rabbits you have in your care so it needs to be kept updated.

I'm sorry you had this struggle and I hope you're feeling a lot better soon. xx

OH's really competent with them. He doesn't like doing litter trays and sometimes over-pellets them (he's such a softy!), but he does pretty much everything else on a daily basis. But then I do tend to go away a lot so he has to XD And he's very rarely ill which is a massive bonus: he's got a stinking cold right now, and I've got a background headache, but we've never been out of action at the same time ::fingers crossed::

Yea I think making a manual is a good idea, or just going through it all thoroughly with them?

My boyfriend does about half the work, but when it comes to medication or anything we haven't been through or he's unsure about he gets me to do it. Hopefully I'll always be there to do things like that, even if I was in a bad way I'd still try to I think because he just isn't confident doing so.

When I have gone away and my boyfriend isn't there, my mum follows a guide I write down haha same for if they have to go into boarding. It worries me if anything happened to me, I just hope my boyfriend would keep them both :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have a great pet sitter who comes in when I am away or unwell. I have a file of info about all my animals' care (all 19 of them)!

My daughter knows what to do with Frosty and the goats and how to recognise if they aren’t their usual self. I have a set of instructions that I leave in place for my neighbour, for when we are away or if something came up and I had to get someone else to step in.

I hope you are feeling better soon xx

It's been really interesting to read everyone's replies thank you.

I'm definitely going to make notes of everything in case of something similar in the future. We've also said that something as simple as having the keys all together and labelled would be sensible. I keep trying to get my dd to come out with me to run through things but she's 13 and only interested in cuddles x

Back