• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you feel your rabbits liver?

Samm

New Kit
I was just at the vet today, Oliver got a check up and got neutered. He's doing good so far! But I forgot to ask them If you can feel a rabbits liver. For as long as I've had Oliver (only 3 months) when i gave him a tummy massage I could always feel something slightly firm on this left side just below his ribs. I looked at some rabbit anatomy pictures online and that seems to be where their liver is located I just wasn't sure if you should actually feel it. I know rabbits have fairly large livers and I have a Holland lop so he's tiny so maybe thats why I can feel it because it has no where to go. Im assuming its normal since he did get a check up today and the doctor said nothing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just at the vet today, Oliver got a check up and got neutered. He's doing good so far! But I forgot to ask them If you can feel a rabbits liver. For as long as I've had Oliver (only 3 months) when i gave him a tummy massage I could always feel something slightly firm on this left side just below his ribs. I looked at some rabbit anatomy pictures online and that seems to be where their liver is located I just wasn't sure if you should actually feel it. I know rabbits have fairly large livers and I have a Holland lop so he's tiny so maybe thats why I can feel it because it has no where to go. Im assuming its normal since he did get a check up today and the doctor said nothing about it.

It was probably a full stomach that you were feeling, unless the liver is enlarged it is usually quite difficult to palpate

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...onsultation-part-two-clinical-examination.pdf

I am sure it was normal, as a vet can feel the liver and whether it's enlarged or not. The best thing would be next time to ask the vet to explain exactly where it is, but I hope you're not worried about it?

Thanks for the info! It was probably just a full stomach because every time I give him a tummy massage it’s when he eats a ton and isn’t pooping right away.

I am sure it was normal, as a vet can feel the liver and whether it's enlarged or not. The best thing would be next time to ask the vet to explain exactly where it is, but I hope you're not worried about it?

Thanks! I’m only a little concerned because he eats and poops very regularly and is an overall happy bun.

It was probably a full stomach that you were feeling, unless the liver is enlarged it is usually quite difficult to palpate

Yep, a normal sized liver is contained within the rib cage so isn't easily felt unless it is enlarged. The stomach is easy to feel just to the rear of the ribs on the left though especially if it is well expanded - either because it's full of food or because it's gassy.

Yep, a normal sized liver is contained within the rib cage so isn't easily felt unless it is enlarged. The stomach is easy to feel just to the rear of the ribs on the left though especially if it is well expanded - either because it's full of food or because it's gassy.

Yup it’s on the left side. He loves his hay so that’s probably why I feel it often, he’s always got a full tummy!

So it’s normal to be able to feel your rabbits stomach? It’s not overly hard but when I compare his left side with his right side it’s obvious that the left side has something in it, if that makes sense.

Yep, completely normal :) Just don't press too hard as it's extremely delicate and you could cause damage.

Indeed, you'd need to really poke about to feel a normal sized Liver. Not nice for the Bunny x

Yep, completely normal :) Just don't press too hard as it's extremely delicate and you could cause damage.

Yeah I touch it gently because I figured it was something important lol. But it feels a lot softer today. When I felt it yesterday it was definitely more firm but maybe it’s because he was eating a lot and didn’t poop since before his neuter. So he pooped a lot now and his stomach feels a lot better

So it’s normal to be able to feel your rabbits stomach? It’s not overly hard but when I compare his left side with his right side it’s obvious that the left side has something in it, if that makes sense.

Yes it's normal!

Important not to go too hard, especially if doing tummy rubs on a rabbit who hasn't eaten for a wee while :)

The vet just called and I ask if I should be able to feel his stomach. And she was confused at first! (I think I scared her) But then she said that he might be gassy from the surgery and give it a few days

Back