• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bottles

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
Does anyone have any idea of how to teach a bunny to drink from one?

Mine is rarely touched so I started putting a little bowl in too just in case they werent using the bottle but they keep spilling the bowl or standing in it so I want them to try the bottle.

Any ideas?

I have never had a bunny not drink from one.You could put them upto it and squeeze it to get a bit of water out so they know whats in it???otherwise maybe they are not thirsty??

hi,
i got some that only drink from dishes which can be a nusence but just wont drink for a bottel. The one used to, then came ill and was too ill to lift head so gave it a dish when better i tryed it bk on bottel but neaver drank from it and was only away from the bottel for about 1 1/2 weeks - 2 weeks
becky

You could try flavouring the water with a drop of apple juice or elderflower cordial, just to give the rabbit a bit of encouragement to drink from the water bottle....perhaps you should get yourself a water bottle,place it next to your rabbits, and give a practical lesson in using the bottle :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We tend to always make sure all the Sanctuary rabbits have a water bottle AND a bowl of drinking water available, as it they cannot get water out of the bottle, or knock the bowl over, at least they have a back up supply.

Becky brought up a good point too, that some bunnies feel uncomfortable drinking from a bottle for health or teeth reasons, so a bowl may be a better option in these cases.

Hope this helps :D Good luck with you drinking bottle demonstration :lol:

My bunnies won't drink from a bottle either, I tried various types then gave up in the end! I use two plastic bird feeders that hook over the side of the cage instead. They don't leak and can't be knocked over!!!

touie said:
My bunnies won't drink from a bottle either, I tried various types then gave up in the end! I use two plastic bird feeders that hook over the side of the cage instead. They don't leak and can't be knocked over!!!

Now that is a brainwave..bless you for that excellent tip Touie!! :thumb:

Back