• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker training for Rabbits?

MightyMax

Banned
Has anyone tried it?

I was inspired by this latest news from RWAF:

On the second day everybody came together for a behaviour and welfare day, and that was a resounding success. The sales of clickers on Amazon must have gone through the roof! We've already shared one video on social media but here's a link to another showing rabbits' early target training https://youtu.be/qU_ZiohPo9c If you have a Facebook account you'll be able to see what this can progress to https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...82216&fs=5&focus_composer=0&ref=page_internal

....it's certainly grabbed owners' attention and demonstrated how very useful it can be to train your rabbits to perform specific tasks.

I'm off to have a look at that YouTube and have a think about training my hooligans :lol:

I did try, but this was with Luna. at this time I didn't know she was blind so no wonder she didn't take :lol: Snoopy tried to eat the clicker.

not sure how Orion would take to it, I might have to see one of these days :)

I did try, but this was with Luna. at this time I didn't know she was blind so no wonder she didn't take :lol: Snoopy tried to eat the clicker.

not sure how Orion would take to it, I might have to see one of these days :)

:lol::lol:

I wasn't sure I understood the YouTube, but then again I was a bit impatient for something to happen :D

I've tried it :) Atticus is extremely quick at learning stuff anyway without the clicker, Clementine more average, they'll both do anything for food tho [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've tried it :) Atticus is extremely quick at learning stuff anyway without the clicker, Clementine more average, they'll both do anything for food tho [emoji38][emoji38]

Is it something you keep using with the rabbits?

Is it something you keep using with the rabbits?
Not really, tbh they both come when called anyway, and Clementine just wants pets when she gets to me or food and Atticus will spin if I gesture to, and they both beg, not sure what else you can teach them, but I'm happy with that haha :)

Wouldn't try it with Lopsy, he's not smart enough. He forgets daily routine so training isn't going to work :lol:

Has anyone tried it?

I was inspired by this latest news from RWAF:

On the second day everybody came together for a behaviour and welfare day, and that was a resounding success. The sales of clickers on Amazon must have gone through the roof! We've already shared one video on social media but here's a link to another showing rabbits' early target training https://youtu.be/qU_ZiohPo9c If you have a Facebook account you'll be able to see what this can progress to https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...82216&fs=5&focus_composer=0&ref=page_internal

....it's certainly grabbed owners' attention and demonstrated how very useful it can be to train your rabbits to perform specific tasks.

I'm off to have a look at that YouTube and have a think about training my hooligans [emoji38]
I'm very interested in this. I've recently started training my little monsters to do little tricks to see how quick they pick things up. They are both very smart so I'm tempted to buy one.

At the moment they are learning to jump over my leg for a tasty treat. They are doing well and seem to really enjoy the interaction. There's lots of binkies afterwards and head waggling.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I've thought about this, I recently saw a clip of someone getting a rabbit to get on the scales to be weighed using clicker and a food treat, but tbh none of mine are in the least food orientated, so I don't think it would work for me. I give them a treat - Russell Rabbit 'biscuits' - one each before I start cleaning out in the afternoon. My doe Toffee will race to me, grab a biscuit and run, but Parsley will look in the box where the treats are, sniff around then 'nah, I'm good thanks' and hop off. Beau will get one, but again not too bothered. I would love to get them to do little things like circle round, or come when they are called, but I don't think it's going to happen :lol:

Not really, tbh they both come when called anyway, and Clementine just wants pets when she gets to me or food and Atticus will spin if I gesture to, and they both beg, not sure what else you can teach them, but I'm happy with that haha :)

Tidy up the garden after they've 'pruned' the roses? :lol:

I'm very interested in this. I've recently started training my little monsters to do little tricks to see how quick they pick things up. They are both very smart so I'm tempted to buy one.

At the moment they are learning to jump over my leg for a tasty treat. They are doing well and seem to really enjoy the interaction. There's lots of binkies afterwards and head waggling.

That sound amazing progress Merv :)

I'm not exactly sure how to use the clicker yet as I haven't gone in to it enough, but let me know whether you decide to buy one.
They probably don't cost much?

Me too :lol:

I find a 'to do' list better than clicker training personally ;)
LMAO Lopsy's to do list is always sleep-eat-clean-repeat, it's just that he sometimes forgets that the 'eat' part usually means 'go for food in this-or-that area at a certain time', not like we haven't been doing the same thing for 3 years!

That sound amazing progress Merv :)

I'm not exactly sure how to use the clicker yet as I haven't gone in to it enough, but let me know whether you decide to buy one.
They probably don't cost much?
There's quite a few videos on YouTube and I think they are quite cheap.

I thought it might keep my over active buns busy. Haha they are currently zooming around me at full speed.

I've thought about this, I recently saw a clip of someone getting a rabbit to get on the scales to be weighed using clicker and a food treat, but tbh none of mine are in the least food orientated, so I don't think it would work for me. I give them a treat - Russell Rabbit 'biscuits' - one each before I start cleaning out in the afternoon. My doe Toffee will race to me, grab a biscuit and run, but Parsley will look in the box where the treats are, sniff around then 'nah, I'm good thanks' and hop off. Beau will get one, but again not too bothered. I would love to get them to do little things like circle round, or come when they are called, but I don't think it's going to happen :lol:

You made me laugh with Parsley's reaction :lol::lol:

There's quite a few videos on YouTube and I think they are quite cheap.

I thought it might keep my over active buns busy. Haha they are currently zooming around me at full speed.

I can quite imagine that given the video you posted on your other thread :lol:

Would they ever sit still long enough to learn 'tricks' ?

I can quite imagine that given the video you posted on your other thread [emoji38]

Would they ever sit still long enough to learn 'tricks' ?
Uhh they don't exactly sit still no. Haha. More like leaping around me like tiny puppies.

Some of the older members may recall I've trained past rabbits to do all sorts, from basics like coming when called to agility/jumping and even playing basketball with a mini hoop. I've tried using a clicker but I don't think it helps at all, if you give them the reward straight after doing what you want them to then they'll associate the trick or whatever with food (trick = food), so as long as you give them their treat swiftly there's absolutely no need to use a clicker device (trick = click = food). If you're not very mobile and it's going to take you a few seconds to reach down and give them their treat then it might be useful, although you could just use a verbal cue.

PS If any of you are unfamiliar with Bini the Bunny search for some videos, it's where I got the basketball idea from, he's one smart little bunny

Back