• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT: rabbit has eaten dark chocolate

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I am beating myself up so badly right now. I thought I had closed the draw where I had my bar of dark chocolate. so either they opened it or I was an idiot.

its godiva dark chocolate if that means anything.

I have no idea which bunny ate it. it wasn't the full bar, perhaps a few of the squares speaking about it in that term.

both of them are still happy and bright, bouncing around. I'll be cleaning the tray to monitor output hopefully.

are they in any serious danger? the internet isn't really providing anything :( my usual vets is closed and the out of hours aren't really being too helpful. I also feel they are too expensive for me to go to right now, and I'm still not sure if Orion is on the insurance

god I'm a crying wreck right now :cry::cry:

Oh gosh I'm sorry :( I know it's not easy but I'd get them to a vet ASAP, they should be able to give them charcoal or something? xx
theobromine and caffeine are these in the bar?

Last edited:
I was about to say the two products that Graciee has mentioned above are in dark chocolate and toxic to rabbits sadly! There's the pet poison line you can ring for advice but they do charge, although it will probably be less than an OOH fee but then you may be told you need to go to a vets anyway. I would call the vets back and see if you could get to an appointment as it will have a better outcome/be cheaper the sooner it's caught then if damage were to set in if theyve eaten enough to be toxic. I hope you get sorted x

I am beating myself up so badly right now. I thought I had closed the draw where I had my bar of dark chocolate. so either they opened it or I was an idiot.

its godiva dark chocolate if that means anything.

I have no idea which bunny ate it. it wasn't the full bar, perhaps a few of the squares speaking about it in that term.

both of them are still happy and bright, bouncing around. I'll be cleaning the tray to monitor output hopefully.

are they in any serious danger? the internet isn't really providing anything :( my usual vets is closed and the out of hours aren't really being too helpful. I also feel they are too expensive for me to go to right now, and I'm still not sure if Orion is on the insurance

god I'm a crying wreck right now :cry::cry:

Check your insurance and see if there's any cover for either of them.

Charcoal and Milk Thistle, as Grace's buns had recently would be a good idea. You can get these yourself.
Also, a vet would normally administer fluids and certainly at the first whiff of either of them not eating I would get some IV fluids into them. Failing that a vet can give sub cutaneous fluids on the spot and send them home.

The poisons helpline will probably tell you what you already know, but perhaps worth a call anyway.

Ring the OOH vets and ask them - even not your own if necessary. I have found that they give useful info without expecting you to necessarily bring the bunny in. Can you look around the mouth of both of them to try and see if there's any hint of who's been doing most of the eating?

Get an appointment for your normal vet for tomorrow anyway, as a safeguard/fallback.

I agree, I would ring the vets ASAP so they can be treated sooner than later. Sending lots of vibes xx

Idk how appropriate this is.. But I have some medication left.. But obviously I'm not sure how this would work as you'd need to know how much for their weights etc :(

I really think getting to a vet is the best option here xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I called a vet and they told me that there isn't a worry at the moment. if they become lethargic or have diarrhoea I should then worry. I don't know what to do. they were the P@H vets in the nearest one since even if my normal one was open, it would be a 45 minute drive.

I already tried calling the out of hours vets but they didn't offer any advice and just spoke rudely to me :( I'm already an anxious wreck and hate phone calls.

my normal vet is already closed so all I can do is call in the morning for the moment. and i dont know how i would get there anyway since they have other things planned tomorrow so nobody can get me there.

I've cleaned them out. they seem to be perfectly fine. they have plenty of hay and I've given them some fibre sticks.

Luna is the only one insured. since I am under 18 they will not have anything to do with me taking out insurance, so it is in my moms name. I have been bugging her every week since I got Orion in january to put him on the insurance yet she doesn't do anything. I want to cry. I can not even rely on my own mother, I can not rely on anybody.

I feel so lost. the only open vet at that time said there wasn't a worry but obviously there is :cry:

on the chocolate packet it doesn't list any of the ingredients that are a concern. I don't know who ate it, luna's mouth is black and orions is brown so its hard to see. there is nothing there. the gram is 90g, i'm not sure how much they ate but i'll go and try and find the scales

i utterly hate myself right now

it currently weighs 83g so between them they may have eaten 7g, or one ate 7g but i have a feeling it was both of them looking at the bites.

it currently weighs 83g so between them they may have eaten 7g, or one ate 7g but i have a feeling it was both of them looking at the bites.

Try and get them to drink as much as possible. If you've a bit of apple, whizz it up into the water.
Get them well hydrated and let the kidneys flush out any toxins

I can't see any differences.. Orion seems a bit sleepy...but he's still thumping, shoving everything off my bed and bouncing around. Luna is still licking me and acting as she normally does.

they've had quite a bit of water to drink.

I'm keeping an eye on them but I don't think there are currently any issues

I'll book a vet appointment tomorrow in the morning

I can't see any differences.. Orion seems a bit sleepy...but he's still thumping, shoving everything off my bed and bouncing around. Luna is still licking me and acting as she normally does.

they've had quite a bit of water to drink.

I'm keeping an eye on them but I don't think there are currently any issues

I'll book a vet appointment tomorrow in the morning

They are probably going to be fine. These things happen!

I hope you can perhaps talk with the vet even if not a visit and see what they say :)

okay, thank you MM :) I don't know if it means anything but the chocolate didn't list any of the toxic things towards rabbits. they'll be on a strict hay only diet for a few days (although I admit I offered a dried cranberry to get them to eat as I was worried). but I do think/hope I'm out of the woods since theres been no issue. poop output was fine, some a little small but Luna's poop always get smaller cleaning. I think its stress

okay, thank you MM :) I don't know if it means anything but the chocolate didn't list any of the toxic things towards rabbits. they'll be on a strict hay only diet for a few days (although I admit I offered a dried cranberry to get them to eat as I was worried). but I do think/hope I'm out of the woods since theres been no issue. poop output was fine, some a little small but Luna's poop always get smaller cleaning. I think its stress

You're welcome. I know how worrying these things are and we always feel so guilty!

Hope all is well today :)

If it is at all possible to get them seen by a Vet today I would do so, even if they currently seem to be fine within themselves. The Vet may feel it to be appropriate to run a blood test on them to check their renal function. If a problem were to be detected then at least they could be put onto IV fluids to try to minimise further damage, even if it's too late to give charcoal ( they are already likely to have absorbed potential toxins).

they're both acting normal, I think I am over worrying every little thing. Luna was flopped and Orion was in a loaf of bread shape, I was worried he was unwell. but considering he run up for a fibre stick, and is now bouncing around in my bedroom, I think he was just taking an nap.

I was worried last night and did syringe 30ml of water into both of them, Orion needed it as he took it with little issue, Luna spat most of it on BF's leg! Orion did do some.. softer looking poops but there hasn't been any since then.

they have drunk large amounts of water, a bit more than usually from the bowl. I'll be topping it up today to see how much they drink. I have a large dog bowl that holds roughly 1 litre, I can say they've perhaps had a bit over half during the night and from when this all happened.

there have been some odd shaped poops, and some very small poops, but also plenty of normal shaped & size poops.. is this to be of any serious concern? they're normal color also.

they haven't eaten as much hay but I did offer plenty of fibre sticks snapped up, 20-30 or so, which are all gone along with a bowl of redigrass...I don't know if that was the right thing to do but I was wanting anything inside of them to insure they didn't go downhill. that is completely gone along with some hay so they are still heating good amounts.

I'll try and gear myself up to call the vets in a while if I can. I'm really not too good at this whole.. phonecall thing.

I also would try get in at the vets today, could anyone else phone for you? Or if your practice has an email address email them, I know at vets4pets where I work and others we have to be on emails all day and responding to them and we have some clients with phone issues so we understand and communicate via email. But of course some practices won't check emails throughout the day.

I hate to be negative but in the vets we've seen animals come in a while after they've eaten something and have been fine but inside they've been affected and I'd want to make sure if any damage has been done it can be minimised now. Of course they may also be fine and not at all affected so I agree you know your rabbits and what you're comfortable with etc so I don't want to come across like I am putting pressure on anyone to see a vet. Glad they are acting as normal :)

Back