• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly strike

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
So
Today I noticed Beryl didn't seem right
She couldn't seem to get comfy and didn't want to come out of the shed
She's had sore hocks again and I thought it was that

I picked her up to check her over and a big maggot fell off her [emoji15][emoji32]

She had fly strike

So this is how fast it happens , last night she was all checked over . Groomed . Tipped up and checked underneath .
I saw nothing .

So folks

Check your bunnies .
Carefully
And often

I thought she was safe
She wasn't

I think we got them all .. I'm hoping she will go ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh man, best wishes for a full recovery :S It can only take hours, and if it's warm overnight... :S

So

I picked her up to check her over and a big maggot fell off her [emoji15][emoji32]

She had fly strike

So this is how fast it happens , last night she was all checked over . Groomed . Tipped up and checked underneath .
I saw nothing .

So folks

Check your bunnies .
Carefully
And often

I thought she was safe
She wasn't

Yes, it's so terrifying :(

Vibes that she will be OK xx

I hope your rabbit will be okay. Of all the rabbit illnesses I think fly strike is what I fear the most

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So

She had fly strike

I saw nothing .

So folks

Check your bunnies .
Carefully
And often

I thought she was safe
She wasn't

I really hope she'll be OK. Millions of vibes being sent xx

I've had it happen incredibly quickly too - just hours after she was checked. It scares me as I have to go to work and just trust they will be OK. I know it's contentious but I use rearguard when I have buns who cannot keep themselves clean for whatever reason. For me, it is the lesser of the two evils.

Sending lots of vibes for Beryl xxx

At least you found the horrible thing in time.

When I worked a vets for two years this was the worst time of year for me, so many bunnies and piggies with flystrike. I won’t go into detail but let’s just say I saw the worst these horrible things can do.

I don’t know if you have heard of it, and apologies if you already treat your buns, but there is a product called “rear guard” it’s from the vets and it stops eggs being able to develop into maggots, each application lasts 10 weeks. Vets or nurses can apply if yours like mine, don’t like being held much.

Well done for being so observant! <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back