• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Me Design My Bunny Garden! :)

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave:

Now that my three bunnies are all living happily together, we've finally set to work on their own special part of the garden. The greenhouse is their 'safehouse' where they are tucked away at night, but 90% of the time they will have access to this huge run, because I work from home and my studio overlooks the garden, so I can always keep an eye on them :)

So far we've put up the chestnut fencing with a matching gate, and have attached galvanised mesh so they can't get through the gaps. As you can see, there are huge patches of bare soil where an old concrete path and ugly concrete washing line post was removed. We're going to sew new grass but I also want to to plants LOTS of shrubs, bushes, trees etc that the bunnies can use for shade and play in.

I have the Twigs Way Gardening for Rabbits book which has already given me a lot of ideas. But I'd love to hear what your favourite bun safe plants are. A garden of RU favourites if you will :D Preferably plants which they won't destroy in a night but which won't hurt them if they have a nibble.

Would an apple tree or willow tree be safe? I would definitely like to plant a few small trees.

Here's a picture of the setup so far. The grass is a bit dead because of the heat and because the bunnies are always eating it :oops:

20180630_205649 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180630_205708 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

We're also building a shed to replace the hutch before Winter comes. Oh, and here's a cute picture of my cat and Plumpkin, just because ;)

20180630_205846 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who has given me constant support with my bunnies, Plumpkin in particular. It has honestly given me such comfort and reassurance. :love:

Lucky bunnies having all that lovely space [emoji3] Only thing I can think off the top of my head is to have a herb patch, things like basil, mint, coriander, parsley etc. They go down well with most bunnies and the added bonus is that they're good for deterring flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An apple tree would be fine although I’d protect the bark for the first few years. A willow tree would probably be too big and are not advised too close to houses but you could get a twisted willow or Kilmarnock willow which don’t grow too big. What about roses (protected from them again). My rabbits would decimate any herbs grown without protection along with most other things [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would suggest an Apple tree and I would get one large enough to provide some shade so they can stretch out underneath it. Willow would be OK as long as you didn't allow it to grow into a tree. We have a Willow pole in the ground, which was used as a support, which produces lots of branches each year, which we chop off for the rabbits. It regrows the next year very well. I would also grow some herbs, but arrange them in planters or pots on something so they can't be nibbled otherwise they won't last. Roses are also a good idea.

Anything will need protection until it gets completely established.

Back