• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've acquired two new rabbits...

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
*Sigh*

I try to avoid selling sites and I've never got a rabbit from one before... nevermind two! However someone sent me the link to a pair of rabbits not too far away from me and I immediately had a sinking feeling in my stomach. For some reason I just knew I had to get them out of there.

I probably wasn't prepared for what came next though! I pulled up to the house to be greeted by a crying 14 year old boy. Through my car window he asked me if I'd come for rabbits and I told him yes and got out of the car. He proceeded to scream and shout, kicking his garden fence, kicking his front door. His mum comes out and he starts swearing at her... she swears at him back. The whole family are in the street, screaming and arguing with eachother :shock:

His mum then showed me where the rabbits lived and the hutch was absolutely tiny and filthy. The water bottle was bone dry. Apparently the kid never fed, watered or cleaned them - and thats why they were getting rid of them.

I asked where the rabbits were and she told me that the kid had been grabbing them and trying to run away with them all morning, so they were locked away in the house. She then screamed up at the top window. Two seconds later her husband comes out of the house with a blue sack over his shoulder in one hand and a fag/can of beer in the other. My heart sank as he handed it over to me. I looked inside to see two utterly terrified, shaking rabbits :cry: I popped them in the carrier, chucked the hutch in my boot and got out of there as fast as I could. They were hot to touch (it was 30°!!!) and their little eyes were bulging out of their heads.

They are now safe and settled in my parents spare bedroom, awaiting a rescue space. All things considered they don't seem too traumatised and they're not in bad condition. I was told they were spayed/neutered but I knew instantly that they wouldn't be. Once home I checked them over and the boy definitely has testicles :cry: The female isn't showing any signs of pregnancy so far. I can't feel babies and she doesn't look big and as of yet. There is also no nesting behaviour. I've got her a vet appointment for Friday to find out for sure and to decide whether or not to spay whilst we are waiting for somewhere for them to go.

I'll post some photos of the little angels underneath! I've named them Harry & Meghan :lol: This is my first and probably my last rescue mission!!!!

Ginger is Harry and Black/White is Megan

15i7yw1.jpg

Their hutch - Which was in full glare of the sun.

szigj8.jpg

They really are lovely rabbits, very friendly. Only around 9 months old so they've hopefully got their whole lives ahead of them :love:

Oh my goodness, I’m so glad you got them out of there! They look very content now, they are gorgeous:love: will you be able to let them go ;)

How terribly sad that relationships within families break down so badly :(

Gorgeous rabbits and well done for rescuing them. It must have been distressing for you.

I was almost tempted to take the kid with me until he said 'Well I'm having the £20 then!' :roll: I know he's probably that way because of his parents but I did lose a bit of sympathy in that moment!

I just keep seeing their little faces staring up at me from the bottom of the sack. They were both grooming my legs last night so hopefully that means they trust me.

If I could keep them I would but unfortunately there is no room at the inn. My superstar parents have taken them in and I'm pretty sure they don't want rabbits forever... yet :lol:

Well done you. They are beautiful. Harry reminds me of my bridge boy Apollo. Nearly the exact same colour. :love:

That must have been really traumatic for you but I'm so pleased you got them out of that hell hole. They are stunners

They're beautiful and they look very content considering all they've just been through! Well done for the rescue, u sure they'll be the last?..... [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What lucky rabbits to have found you. No water in this heat doesn’t bear thinking about. They do look very settled now!

*Sigh*

I try to avoid selling sites and I've never got a rabbit from one before... nevermind two! However someone sent me the link to a pair of rabbits not too far away from me and I immediately had a sinking feeling in my stomach. For some reason I just knew I had to get them out of there.

I probably wasn't prepared for what came next though! I pulled up to the house to be greeted by a crying 14 year old boy. Through my car window he asked me if I'd come for rabbits and I told him yes and got out of the car. He proceeded to scream and shout, kicking his garden fence, kicking his front door. His mum comes out and he starts swearing at her... she swears at him back. The whole family are in the street, screaming and arguing with eachother :shock:

His mum then showed me where the rabbits lived and the hutch was absolutely tiny and filthy. The water bottle was bone dry. Apparently the kid never fed, watered or cleaned them - and thats why they were getting rid of them.

I asked where the rabbits were and she told me that the kid had been grabbing them and trying to run away with them all morning, so they were locked away in the house. She then screamed up at the top window. Two seconds later her husband comes out of the house with a blue sack over his shoulder in one hand and a fag/can of beer in the other. My heart sank as he handed it over to me. I looked inside to see two utterly terrified, shaking rabbits :cry: I popped them in the carrier, chucked the hutch in my boot and got out of there as fast as I could. They were hot to touch (it was 30°!!!) and their little eyes were bulging out of their heads.

They are now safe and settled in my parents spare bedroom, awaiting a rescue space. All things considered they don't seem too traumatised and they're not in bad condition. I was told they were spayed/neutered but I knew instantly that they wouldn't be. Once home I checked them over and the boy definitely has testicles :cry: The female isn't showing any signs of pregnancy so far. I can't feel babies and she doesn't look big and as of yet. There is also no nesting behaviour. I've got her a vet appointment for Friday to find out for sure and to decide whether or not to spay whilst we are waiting for somewhere for them to go.

I'll post some photos of the little angels underneath! I've named them Harry & Meghan :lol: This is my first and probably my last rescue mission!!!!

Oh my goodness, how shocking and traumatic for you, let alone the buns :(

Thank you for getting them out of there. I can't believe the owner put them in a sack :(

They are truly beautiful though xx

They're lovely.

That can't have been a very pleasant experience for you and that hutch, well, it goes without saying! Maybe your parents will get used to having them around ;) x

Wow, what a traumatic experience for all! They've definitely landed on their paws now. When you go to the vets, get them scanned for a chip, would be interesting to know if they are Pets at Home rabbits. Evidence why some families are definitely NOT the right homes for animals.

Back