• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit savvy vets Gloucestershire

Hello

Bit of a long shot, but is anyone aware of a rabbit savvy vet in or near to Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire?

I've seen vets recommended in Gloucester, but it seems silly to travel 15 miles for routine vaccinations etc. and could be too far in an emergency?
I would much prefer to use a local vet but am cautious as we lost a bun under anesthetic once.

If I approach the vets in Tewkesbury (there are three), is there anything I should ask other than checking what vaccinations they offer and that they are aware of things like special anesthetic procedures and housing bonded bunnies together etc.

Thank you!

Annabel

I think its reasonable to ask about any exotics training or training / interest in small animals, specifically rabbits. You might want to enquire about fees, especially if accessing OOH. How happy (& to who) are they to refer on if they feel out of their depth. I'd like to know common practice when seeing stasis buns, do they use blood glucose tests for eg. How many rabbits do they see. I used to spend a fair bit of time quizzing vets in my search for someone more local :lol:

Hello

Bit of a long shot, but is anyone aware of a rabbit savvy vet in or near to Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire?

I've seen vets recommended in Gloucester, but it seems silly to travel 15 miles for routine vaccinations etc. and could be too far in an emergency?
I would much prefer to use a local vet but am cautious as we lost a bun under anesthetic once.

If I approach the vets in Tewkesbury (there are three), is there anything I should ask other than checking what vaccinations they offer and that they are aware of things like special anesthetic procedures and housing bonded bunnies together etc.

Thank you!

Annabel

You could look here for recommendations:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...opy_of_county-or-city/england/gloucestershire

If I was in your area (and I was at one time) I would use Jason Burgess:

https://woodvets.co.uk

Thank you both - Jason at Wood Vets is the one I'd seen recommended. I'm just not sure whether it's excessive - and also possibly more stressful for bunnies to tolerate a 30 minute car journey than a 2 minute one. I might give Wood Vets a call...

Thank you both - Jason at Wood Vets is the one I'd seen recommended. I'm just not sure whether it's excessive - and also possibly more stressful for bunnies to tolerate a 30 minute car journey than a 2 minute one. I might give Wood Vets a call...
I don't live nearby or anything but I drive to my vets, takes about 30 mins without traffic sometimes longer in rush hour and my two are fine :) it's way better to see someone who knows what they're doing imo, even if it's just for yearly vacs my vet checks them over and I can discuss things with him etc - and I've saved time and money going to see my vet who's great as opposed to vets near by who just don't know what they're doing frankly - just my experience though :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't live nearby or anything but I drive to my vets, takes about 30 mins without traffic sometimes longer in rush hour and my two are fine :) it's way better to see someone who knows what they're doing imo, even if it's just for yearly vacs my vet checks them over and I can discuss things with him etc - and I've saved time and money going to see my vet who's great as opposed to vets near by who just don't know what they're doing frankly - just my experience though :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I agree with Grace. I don't have a vet closer than at least a 30 minute drive, and a savvy vet is worth their weight in gold :)

Like Graciee I travel -( 45 mins each way on a really good day) & for the same reasons. Whenever I've gone more local i've regretted it. Its amazing the difference between one vets health check & another

I travel 45 mins each way too to my savvy vet. I find this cheaper than the thousands I have spent in the past at unsavvy vets and ending up with a referal to exotics any way.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've used Jason Burgess and he definitely knows his stuff. He picked up on one of my rabbits having the start of cataracts during a vaccination health check as well as treated another recently for a blocked tear duct.

Not sure if it'll help but they've got a branch in Longlevens. Prior warning though, he gets booked up quickly.

I've used Jason Burgess and he definitely knows his stuff. He picked up on one of my rabbits having the start of cataracts during a vaccination health check as well as treated another recently for a blocked tear duct.

Not sure if it'll help but they've got a branch in Longlevens. Prior warning though, he gets booked up quickly.

I found this too when I needed him urgently!

Back