• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit bloat - what should I do?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Hamilton has a visibly really bloated belly and is clearly very uncomfortable. He won't eat anything. Should I try syringe feeding him critical care? I tried giving it to him mashed up with a bit of banana but he wouldn't touch it.

He has had episodes like this in the past but they usually pass in a few hours. I noticed he wasn't right around 3.00pm though and he still won't eat.

Any advice appreciated :(

Hi everyone,

Hamilton has a visibly really bloated belly and is clearly very uncomfortable. He won't eat anything. Should I try syringe feeding him critical care? I tried giving it to him mashed up with a bit of banana but he wouldn't touch it.

He has had episodes like this in the past but they usually pass in a few hours. I noticed he wasn't right around 3.00pm though and he still won't eat.

I personally go straight to the vets when Toby stops eating /gas. I'm sorry Hamilton is unwell, hopefully someone will come along with more advice.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have never used an out of hours vet before and I don't have a car/my partner is out of town - honestly not sure what to do?!

Hi everyone,

If you suspect bloat, then you can give Infacol but no tummy rubs. Water it OK but no food unless you are sure he hasn't an obstruction.

He really needs to see a vet to assess whether there's a blockage. He will need his temperature taken and also a blood glucose.

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ac07/9915d6e64fe1afe442204871cb21c282f31b.pdf

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Let me know if you need any more info x

I'm sorry to read this:( Bloat, as you're probably aware, can be quite serious and I would want a vet's examination. It's quite a few hours now that he has been like this and I would want a vet to examine his tummy and also do a blood glucose test to exclude a blockage. Has he passed any poo?

As you say it would be OOH vets now and I appreciate your transport difficulty. Do you have anyone nearby who you could ask to give you a lift?

I'm so sorry to hear about Hamilton, my buns had lots of stasis episodes over the years but only Cody had true bloat, he was very swollen like I had never seen before. When I rushed him to the vet he had an obstruction just outside the stomach where it joins the intestine. I was told no food as this could cause his stomach to rupture. It was scary not to syringe feed in this instance as in every stasis episode before I syringe fed. Over two days his stomach did go down though , sadly he developed pneumonia on the fourth day and was very ill but he had other health issues which could have contributed to the pneumonia and we had to say goodbye :( :( True bloat is very serious I would get him to the vet ASAP. Sending vibes for you and you boy x

I'm so sorry to hear about Hamilton, my buns had lots of stasis episodes over the years but only Cody had true bloat, he was very swollen like I had never seen before. When I rushed him to the vet he had an obstruction just outside the stomach where it joins the intestine. I was told no food as this could cause his stomach to rupture. It was scary not to syringe feed in this instance as in every stasis episode before I syringe fed. Over two days his stomach did go down though , sadly he developed pneumonia on the fourth day and was very ill but he had other health issues which could have contributed to the pneumonia and we had to say goodbye :( :( True bloat is very serious I would get him to the vet ASAP. Sending vibes for you and you boy x
Did you know what the obstruction was? :(

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I decided to leave him overnight because he has had similar episodes before and I had no way of getting to an emergency vet.

I took him first things this morning and the vet said he had minor bloating - he was given two injections and has been eating and running around like normal since coming back.

The bad news is that she checked his teeth and they'rr starting to look a bit on the long side and cause redness. So he must have them filed next week.

Don't think I'm going to be able to afford a holiday this year anymore :(

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I decided to leave him overnight because he has had similar episodes before and I had no way of getting to an emergency vet.

I took him first things this morning and the vet said he had minor bloating - he was given two injections and has been eating and running around like normal since coming back.

The bad news is that she checked his teeth and they'rr starting to look a bit on the long side and cause redness. So he must have them filed next week.

Don't think I'm going to be able to afford a holiday this year anymore :(

You're welcome x

Well I'm pleased to see that Ham has been treated and the symptoms should hopefully improve now.

Did the vet do a blood glucose test?

But I'm so sorry for your impending vet bill. It must be really disheartening with everything you're trying to do. You are trying to hard but really need support I feel. Is there any way you could raise some funds and perhaps have some sort of a holiday even if not the one you'd dreamed of or planned?

I am so glad to hear Hamilton has improved overnight but at least the vet has spotred the teeth issue early. I empathise with vet bills, I had no insurance for my buns. X

I'm pleased that Ham is OK now, but sorry that the vet found a problem with his teeth. Vet bills can very soon mount up.

I'm really glad ham is going to be ok and also sorry to hear about the dental.

Don't worry, you are not alone in the no holiday due to bunny bills club.

Xx

I'm really glad ham is going to be ok and also sorry to hear about the dental.

Don't worry, you are not alone in the no holiday due to bunny bills club.

Xx

:wave: count me in. Mind you,its a better (less embarassing )reason than being too scared to leave them:oops:

Pleased Ham responded so well to his meds x

Back