• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit dilemma and advice!

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I have another Rabbit dilemma, would love to talk through my situation and get some advice on what would be best for the rabbits!

So.. I am finally moving house and am able to have my beautiful Bellatrix back! There is a massive cellar where she could have free run off which would be great space wise but there is no real light. I was thinking of getting great daylight bulbs that are even on a timer with day and night, is this a good idea? I also thought I could bring her upstairs a lot/outside to get daylight and fresh air but wouldn't want to constantly disrupt her. There is also some space in the garden that could be made into an area for her but she definitely wouldn't have as much space as she would in the cellar and I feel like space is the priority.

The other issue... you may know if you have seen my posts before that Bellatrix was in a happy bonded pair with little Theodore but then Bellatrix got seriously ill and was attacking theodore as she was unable to cope with the pain. I was moving house and couldn't keep two rabbits separate and had to make the sad decision to rehome theodore in another pair as he clearly needed a rabbit friend.

Bellatrix seems to be a people rabbit and I am not sure how much she is misisng out on being a bonded rabbit. She is completely miraculously recovered from her abscesses and I wondered id it would be worth trying again for her.

I would only ever rescue a rabbit and never buy from a breeder. But, my friend's rabbits have just had accidental babies and need homes. Is this a legitimate rescue as they were accidental and she can't cope or am I just falling for baby rabbit cuteness!? I would love to bond one with Bellatrix but don't know if it is the most sensible thing to do if it doesn't work out...

Please leave my your thoughts on all this! I am ill at the moment and not thinking straight so don't know what is the right thing to do! Thank you all as ever. x

I'm really pleased you're moving into a new house and that you'll be getting Bellatrix back. I do remember her and have always been very fond of her ❤️❤️❤️

I don't really know about the cellar space, hopefully someone will be able to advise on that.

I'm really sorry you had to rehome Theodore [emoji17] That must have been really tough.

With regards to getting her a new friend I'm assuming she was happily bonded and it was her illness that made the bond break rather than the fact she didn't want a companion. If that's the case I think it's worth trying another friend for her.

IMO if you took on one of the baby bunnies it would be a legitimate rescue. It sounds like they are in need of a home and if your friend can't cope with them then they may end up in an official rescue anyway so you would just be taking out the middle step. Just need to bear in mind that you would need to take care of the neutering and bonding yourself. You also wouldn't have the back up of a rescue who could help with the bonding and/or take the bunny back if the bond doesn't work out. Having said that you could always introduce Bellatrix to one of the babies on neutral territory and from there you should be able to gauge from their immediate reactions to each other whether they could be friends.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I'm really pleased things are on the up for you and Bellatrix xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I would try Bellatrix with one of the baby buck rabbits. As Scrappy said, you should be able to tell very early on how successful the bond is likely to be. I recently bonded a 7 year old buck with a pre-pubertal doe of 3 months. It was an extremely easy bond. She has recently been spayed and they couldn't be happier. In my view the baby rabbits need a home just as much as a rabbit from a rescue.

Regarding the cellar space, it would seem wrong to me that the rabbits would have no natural light and I would prefer to house them outside, even if that meant compromising a bit on space.

If it were me, I would try Bellatrix with one of the baby buck rabbits. As Scrappy said, you should be able to tell very early on how successful the bond is likely to be. I recently bonded a 7 year old buck with a pre-pubertal doe of 3 months. It was an extremely easy bond. She has recently been spayed and they couldn't be happier. In my view the baby rabbits need a home just as much as a rabbit from a rescue.

Regarding the cellar space, it would seem wrong to me that the rabbits would have no natural light and I would prefer to house them outside, even if that meant compromising a bit on space.

I agree!

Back