• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new and old

maryflynn

Warren Scout
hey again,

just a thought that i had... :? mitsy is about 4months n she is so playful im considerin getting her a friend ..how do i go about this

i) do i have to get the same breed as her, im not sure exacty wot she is tho she is speckly brown,looks like a wild rabbit n has a white little tail

ii) can i get a baby for her to mother as am considerin getting her "done" so she wont b able 2hav kids, or does it hav 2b around same age?

iii)girl or boy next?

iv)is it much more wk lookin after two rather than one?

and just generally any advice, comments, tips on how to introduce n go about this :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks in advance guys, since findin this site its helped me no end!!!

maryflynn said:
i) do i have to get the same breed as her, im not sure exacty wot she is tho she is speckly brown,looks like a wild rabbit n has a white little tail

No you don't have to get the same breed as her.

ii) can i get a baby for her to mother as am considerin getting her "done" so she wont b able 2hav kids, or does it hav 2b around same age?

A female rabbit won't "mother" an unrelated baby. In fact a female rabbit doesn't really "mother" her own babies in the same ay a human or some other animals do. You don't have to get one the same age but see the next question.

iii)girl or boy next?

A male is much easier to introduce to a female. Of course he needs to be neutered first which can't be done until 14-16 weeks old so I'd recommend you get one at least that age. If you adopt a rescue rabbit thats already neutered you can start introducing them straight away. If you get an unneutered rabbit and have your vet neuter him you'll have to wait 4 weeks afterwards before introducing them to make sure he's not still fertile.

Costs can increase. You have to pay double the vaccination fees, and potentially double other vets fees. Food bills also increase. Introductions can take some work but after they are living together then its not too much extra work.

Hope that helps :)

Tam

Casey looks a lot like that. :)

No you don't have to get the same breed. Our two are completely diffrent looks and size wise. Yet they get on perfectly. Rabbits go for character rather than appearance in a potential friend.

It's better if they are the same age. Whilst in the short term a baby might be well accepted when it becomes a teenager all hell could break loose.

iii)girl or boy next?
Rabbits tend to preffer company of the opposite sex, so boy.

Not that much if they live together, though you will have to do more cleaning up after them (twice the poo)

and just generally any advice, comments, tips on how to introduce n go about this.
There are some really good online articles about bonding. The most important thing is neutral territory, and to go with your instincts. They will fight, it's normal and they get over it. Just make sure no one gets hurt.

Good luck :)

Back