• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP bunny sick - sneeze and wet nose HELP!! :(

fairchildz

New Kit
Hello bunny lovers! Does anyone know if its normal for bunnies to sneeze and have wet nose? Could it be caused by rainy season or cold weather? - it's kept indoor all the time though...

Also.... he started biting cables and wires and papers recently, he never does that before, anyone knows why and how to stop him from biting?? It's my first time keeping a rabbit so I'm pretty ignorant, thanks!!

:D

hi there...i have no idea about the wetnose and sneezing, i have only had one bunny and am no expert. regarding the biting of papers and cables, well i think most rabbits enjoy that particular exercise, i know my Dubbs loves nothign more than to destroy a newspaper and attempt to bite through a nice thick scart cable :)

hope your little on is okay *hugs*

no it's definitely not "normal". . pasturella
http://www.rabbit.org/care/pasturella.html

for more info on chewing, take a look at
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/chewing.html

in the meantime, try olbus oil. and cover wires and cables with protectors. the best stuff is made out of metal - the bunny camp in bradford sell some excellent stuff. very similar, i believe to the cable you'd get on shower hoses. (plastic cable protectors will get chomped).

gosh, in the time it's taken me to put this reply together, you've been inundated with sound advice.... hope this helps anyway.

Julie

I agree with julie take him to the vets and get him checked for pastarella, if its that then he can be put on a long course of antibiotics usualy for a couple of mths. This will not cure him but will put him into remision as it were. val

jredk04 said:
cover wires and cables with protectors. the best stuff is made out of metal

Cassidy can chew straight through a metal shower hose - the best stuff we've found for really serious chewers is from RS - http://rswww.com - they do (or used to do) a Kevlar braided cable wrap. She can chew through the Kevlar, but the frayed ends seem to tickle her nose and that puts her off. They do a nylon one which is a lot less expensive; it's obviously not as tough, but should still have the tickle effect. :)

Back