• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OH Dear - Hop Along Zac

bunnytales

Mama Doe
:( Bunster Zac has only been with me 4 x weeks and already hes causing mischief.

I got home tonight to find Zac hopping around on three legs - he just doesn't seem to want to put any weight on his left front paw.
I can only think hes been enjoying himself too much during the day and perhaps has jumped off the Seatee and landed awkward :(

He's eating and drinking o.k - but I'm not sure what to do now - should I take him to the Vets straight away tomorrow or see if it gets better in a day or two if he's o.k in himself. I'm just a bit worried that if he's broken it he'll be hiding the pain - I think I've answered my own question there - I'll pop to the Vets tomorrow for them to check the bones in tact etc.

I haven't restricted him to his cage - would I be better to do that to stop him moving around or just leave him to do what he's comfy with :?:

Poor Zac - whats he like eh?? - Mums worried now :(

Oh dear, naughty boy worrying his mum!

Is he holding it up or just limping on it? Have you checked his nails on that leg? Its not uncommon for a bun to rip a nail which can be a bit painful. Also check the paw and inbetween the toes incase he has a bit of hay or similar stuck in like a splinter.

One of my past bunnies got a limp when she had a tiny abcess form near her hock. It wasn't deep or big just enough to put pressure on which made her hobble. It was lanced and she was walking normally again the following day.

So although a broken leg is a possibility there are lots of other things not so drastic that could be the problem :)

Tam

Hiya Tams - awwww - thanks for your thoughts re Bunster Zac

He kinda does a bit of both - he'll pop it down on floor and hop a couple of steps and then he lifts his paw up and hops.

I've gotta pop out for an hour and he is quietly settled in the bedroom so I've left him to rest a while - so when I come back - I'll have a bit of a prod if its not too painful for him and check his paw a bit more thoroughly - So after I've had a wrestle later I'll pop you an update!!

They do say one bun on their own can get into more mischief - I think I've just found that out :lol:

Oh no, what a worry for you Lany :? , but I am sure Zac will be up to his usual mischief again very, very soon, just hang on in there buddy :D
I have sent you a private email with an idea that may help, as I tried to post on the Forum, but had a bit of trouble...all seems to be working okay now though.

You take care, and try not to fret too much.
Love Adele, David and all the naughty bunnies

Thanks Adele

Got your mail so I will try that for him. I've been out for an hour - I just checked on the Bunster and when he is sitting normally he is sitting normally not with his paw up so I'm hoping thats a sign that it is just a strain and nothing more so I'll see how he is tomorrow.

I guess Bunnies joints should be quite strong anyhow unless he's slipped somehow -

Thanks for your help though both - its really helps to have a shoulder when these bunsters strike you with a challenge!! -

A similar thing happened to Blueberry in her early weeks here.

She had been in her cage most of the day, she was fine when she had gone in that morning.
I got her out in the evening and we noticed that she wasn't putting any weight on her front leg, she was holding it up and even when she was sitting/laying she was holding it funny.
I went into panic mode as I couldn't see what she couldv'e done and rang the vets straight away, I got an appointment in 1/2hr, In total she'd been limping 1hr that I'd seen, we sat in the waiting room for about 1/2 hour, the vet asked me to put her on the floor so he could see....................she hopped along the floor perfectly normally :evil: :roll: .

She was examined and the vet said her "wrist" area felt tender to touch, She had probably stretched/strained it. she had a painkilling jab and I was told to keep her in for 2 days then see how she was.
She was digging frantically at the cage bars when we got home, so I let her out and she was fine. :roll: I wont be so hasty in future, Still better to be safe than sorry!

When Monopoly hurt her back leg I was so panicked. She was so young, I thought she'd be crippled forever. Anyhoo, we just took her in to vets, she manipulated her leg and foot for a while and popped her on to the floor to see her hopping. She couldn't feel anything out of place, so just gave her the magic injection and sent us home. She took ages to stop limping, but she's fine now. I think after a few days, the limp was more out of force of habit than necessity.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but I didn't restrict her movements. I wanted to see if she was putting weight on the leg at all, so I just let her get on with things. Plus, she was being very protective of the leg so she wasn't going to hurt it anymore than it already was and as long as she was hopping about and showing an interest in things I knew she couldn't really be in that much pain.

If he's putting weight on his leg then it's probably just a twist or a sprain, or else he whacked it against something and got a bit of a bruise.

:wink: Awwwww - Thanks folks - at least some of the info you have given me have stopped the panics :roll: setting in a little.

Had to get up in the middle of the night didn't I :roll: as I just couldn't settle until I knew he was comfortable - but when I checked he was lying fast asleep - ahhhhhhh

Zac was a little quiet last night and this morning he is still limping around - but not any worse. He is eating and drinking, pooing all o.k.

I think I will pop him to our vet during today if I can get an appointment or very latest tomorrow morning just so she can have a feel of the bones to make sure everythings in tact.

Thanks Tams by the way re the other areas for checking - I had a prod around - Zac was not impressed :shock: - but no signs of nail rips etc - but good to check as I just wouldn't have thought of that!!

Oh well I'll go and give him a snuggle before I go out to work and I'll give you an update later.

I felt such a bad mum though - almost as though maybe I shouldn't have left him free range - and if he can get into mischief jumping off the seatee what chance have I got - Baaaaaaaad Bunster :lol: :lol:

beck said:
I got her out in the evening and we noticed that she wasn't putting any weight on her front leg, she was holding it up and even when she was sitting/laying she was holding it funny.
I went into panic mode as I couldn't see what she couldv'e done and rang the vets straight away, I got an appointment in 1/2hr, In total she'd been limping 1hr that I'd seen, we sat in the waiting room for about 1/2 hour, the vet asked me to put her on the floor so he could see....................she hopped along the floor perfectly normally :evil: :roll: .

They do show you up Beck don't they :wink: . I had exactly the same episode you have described with Rob - limping in the house, walked perfectly well in the vets. After examination, my vet didn't think it was anything serious, but said we should try not to make too much of a fuss of him when he done it, in case it lead to a 'play for attention' thing. :roll:

Oh Lany, hope the little fellas ok, they don't half worry you, Bluebell a couple of months back did exactly the same thing turned out to be a bit of a strain and she was back to her old self in no time, still worried though you just can't help it!

Well I've had an update for MOH who I bribed to pop in at home whilst he was out and about to see how the Bunsters doing.

Apparently he's o.k - alittle quiet and obviously still limping about.

I've managed to get to the Vets tonight at 4.30 just so she can have a feel around and confirm its only a sprain - I'm sure (she says praying) it is but I'll be glad when he's checked over.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts - When I get back from the Vets I'll let you know how the rascals doing.

Adeleeeee!!!! - Guess who left the Frozen Peas out last night - they were in a lovely splodge all over the kitchen floor this morning :lol: :lol: - the things we do for these bunsters eh!!

:lol: you didn't attack Zac with frozen peas did you! Lol I can just imagine his face... mum why are my veggies so cold and why won't you let me nibbble them?

Tam

Tamsin said:
:lol: you didn't attack Zac with frozen peas did you! Lol I can just imagine his face... mum why are my veggies so cold and why won't you let me nibbble them?Tam

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep that Adele comes up with all the best remedies :!: :!: :!: - you just would not believe the number of places a defrosted PEA can get in :shock: :shock:

Good news is that probably against my better judgement I cancelled the Vets appointment tonight as Zac seemed just slightly better and as he'd already been for his VHD Vaccine on Wednesday - I didn't want to stress him out if at all possible with another journey (what am I like eh!!)

He's walking a little better tonight - so sounds like another FROZEN PEA session and I'll keep a watchful eye on him over tomorrow - if he continues to improve that will be brill - if not then definately off to Aunt Deborah the Vet on Monday!! - but things are looking positive.

My heart goes out to Dubbs and Mum right now as I feel so inadequate posting about a poorly paw :!: :!: - If Dubbs had only this to contend with it would be the least of problems -

Blooooooooomin Bunsters!! - Good job we luv em so much eh Forum Folks :!: :!:

Thanks all sooooooooo much for your kind advice and thoughts - where would us bunny mums be without you!! - hanging by a rope - me thinks :wink:

bunnytales said:
Tamsin said:
:lol: you didn't attack Zac with frozen peas did you! Lol I can just imagine his face... mum why are my veggies so cold and why won't you let me nibbble them?Tam

:lol: :lol: :lol: Tamsin, I think Lany has been trying to entice poor Zac into a game of Pea ball (Foot ball?) to take his mind off his poorly paw , just when he needed to rest too, Lany you are a slavedriving coach.... :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep that Adele comes up with all the best remedies :!: :!: :!: - you just would not believe the number of places a defrosted PEA can get in :shock: :shock:

Ooh Lany you are bringing tears to my eyes here, I know EXACTLY when frozen peas can end up believe you me...I had enough of the PEA TREATMENT myself to last me a lifetime, my Mum the Physio has a lot to answer for on that front :roll: :lol: :lol:
So glad it is nothing too serious with Zac, you must be very relieved Lany :D
XX

Ah Ha!!! I didn't realise that Zac had been for his VHD needle! That's the cause of the limp :?
This is one of the things that can happen after the VHD needle - some buns get it each time and some get it just the once. It will go after about 3 days but it is painful for him so if you have any metacam I would give him some.
Out of all of the Hairy Mob up to now 2 have had this reaction. Wish I would have known earlier, would have been able to put your mind at rest :oops:
He should be lots better tomorrow then :D If not, then definately by Sunday :D
It is a common reaction to the VHD and I do wish that vets would tell bunny parents that this could occur :roll:
Hope Zac is better soon.

Jaypot said:
Ah Ha!!! I didn't realise that Zac had been for his VHD needle! That's the cause of the limp :?
This is one of the things that can happen after the VHD needle - some buns get it each time and some get it just the once. It will go after about 3 days but it is painful for him so if you have any metacam I would give him some.
Out of all of the Hairy Mob up to now 2 have had this reaction. Wish I would have known earlier, would have been able to put your mind at rest :oops:
He should be lots better tomorrow then :D If not, then definately by Sunday :D
It is a common reaction to the VHD and I do wish that vets would tell bunny parents that this could occur :roll:
Hope Zac is better soon.

Really??!!!
Blueberry had just had her vhd jab when it happened to her!

Jaypot said:
Ah Ha!!! I didn't realise that Zac had been for his VHD needle! That's the cause of the limp :? Hope Zac is better soon.

Howdie Folks :!: :!: - I'm gobsmacked :!: :!: and that doesn't happen too much honest!!

Could this really be the cause :?: :?:

I've had three other bunnies who have never reacted ever to the VHD Vaccine - so I just cannot believe this - but it seems really strange that Blueberry had also the same reaction.

Have any of the other Rescues/Sanctuary folk experienced this :?: - with so many bunnies being vaccinated is this a very rare reaction then!! - I really love my Vet - She's really knowledgeable in Bunny Care and she's attending the RWF Conference next week but I cannot believe they just don't mention this as a maybe reaction :!: - or maybe its because it is just a very few bunnies that react this way -

Zac does seem to be getting better day by day - he's much more himself tonight but still a bit light on his paw!
Why does this reacton occur then :?: :?: and why in the front paw :?:
Jaypot - do you know anymore of why this might happen?? - I' m really interested now and I guess next time I'll have to ask for some Metacam to give Zac after his vaccine just in case.

Funny you know - I just couldn't believe that he could do that damage jumping on and off the seatee ( I know its possible) but Bunnies are normally so agile and can jump and land from good heights fairly safely -

I think this Vaccine reaction sounds like a new revalation to us mum bunny owners so if there is any more verification that would be useful - I might telephone my Vet anyway to see if she'll let me have some Metacam for him.

Thanks folks - At least I feel a slightly better bunny mum tonight.

About four years ago we had our buns vaccinated against VHD - one of them developed a limp and we took him back to the vets - the vet checked him all over and couldn't find anything wrong - he was stumped!
I phoned a friend and told her about him limping and the first thing she asked me was "Has he just had a VHD needle?" - well, I too was gobsmacked :shock: I told her that he had and she said that it was one of the reactions that could come from the vaccine - she told me to give him some metacam and that he would be fine in three days - and he was :shock: :shock: Since then we have had some more react this same way and each time it's been after the VHD needle - we have two here now who will get the limp when they have their needles in December - Nici gets a limp every year as does Buster. They have the metacam and are fine within three days :D
We have some new buns here so I don't know what their reactions will be :?
Over the last few years I have heard of many people who's rabbits have developed a limp after the vaccine and in each case it's been the vaccine that has caused it.
We changed vets nearly two years ago and when I mentioned the VHD and the limp she said it was one of the side effects to the vaccine - I don't know why or how but I know that some have the side effect and some don't. That's another reason that I wouldn't have the Myxie and the VHD done together - I like to watch for any symptoms especially with the VHD - I still check all the limbs and the toes etc to see that there is nothing else but each time it has been the needle that has done it. Always keep some painkiller handy :roll:

Thanks everyone soooooo much for your help and advice re Zac

Pleased to report he is fine and well recovered from his Limp which does seem was due to a reaction to his VHD Injection. They say you continually learn re Bunnies :roll: - Blimey how right that is eh folks :!:

Now I know that he reacts in this way I can be well prepared next time he has it and ask for some metacam to keep in for the big bunster.

I really was convinced he'd been doing flying leaps off the seatee though!! - but hey give him time :shock:

Back