• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping!

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Hey there,

I'm new to being a bunny mum. My baby's name is Mitsy n she's about 3months old, what i need to check is she has recently started to mount my forearm when i play with her on the floor n then proceed to..well..hump it!!?? :roll: very funny n amusuing but quite confusin..is this the norm?? in total she is nuts, has bags of character which is great n everyone that meets her says she is a puppy in a rabbits body..

also, she wont be littered trained as in doors,,, how do i do this???

mary :D :D

what!!!!!!!!!!!!

could mitsy be a guy?????????? this is a totally diff lifestyle choice, i have a little girl collar 4 her with a bell n everything and now i kno why she/he may not appreciate it, how do i find out the truth lol!

A collar? This is a bunnie yes? or a bunnie into strange practices *cough* Which is also another interesting lifestype choice!

collar

yes...ahem...

in a fit of enthuisiam i bought a cat collar n put it on her, she looks v.cute with it on n doesnt mind apart from when the bell goes lol, any way n fella says she is about 5months old so does that her ok to be female, i just checked n it looks pretty girly down there lol

Sexing young bunnies can prove quite difficult! at a glance you could say that a male was female and vice versa. However with experience one could sex a young bunny very easily. My bunnies were sexed at 6 weeks by a trained eye and I was told they were males. A vet I went to a few weeks later said otherwise, and told me I had male and female! Seeesh that was a worry for a while I can tell you! lol. Anyway the trained eye won, because they are definitely both boys!

Mounting can sometimes be an act of dominance. I know that female buns can mount one another as can a lot of other female mammals. I keep fancy female rats and have seen them exhibit this behaviour also.
Seems odd that she is getting it on with your arm lol maybe this is the done thing ;) I've only ever had male buns get rampant with my foot before!
I would be inclined to have a more detailed look if I were you. Another thread titled "Sexing Buns!" has some detailed photographs and descriptions in it, you want to head there for a good look :)

Thanx 4 the tip, i may have to change her/his name lol! didnt realise it was so diff to tell, mitsy to mitz maybe? haha

Our buns wore collars with ID for awhile after numerous escape attempts. Once we managed to thwart them successfully we didn't replace them.

Here some photos which might help with the sexing. Its difficult on you bunnies and males don't tend to drop their testicles until about 4 months at which point it becomes much easier to tell!

Tam

maryflynn said:
Thanx 4 the tip, i may have to change her/his name lol! didnt realise it was so diff to tell, mitsy to mitz maybe? haha

or 'Mister' :lol: Very effective when he's being norty - 'Oy, Mister!!!!!'

You should check your girl is a boy :) But I have known female buns to hump aswell. Maybe she is just randy :wink: Toby also wears a cat collar when we go out and he comes with us.

can i ask what breed toby is, cos mitsy looks like him and when i got her it was from a family that didnt like their wabbits or really care n they couldnt tell me what she was, i 4t she might b a rex cos of their shape but the description i read of them says their fur is velvety and hers is dense yes, but not velvety

I must admit Zeus had a little puppy collar with a name tag and our phone number but he got so excited when we first got Athena that he kept getting the tag caught in her cage (he kept jumping on it and peeing through the bars on her :shock: - poor thing) and then when she got let out she would jump over his head and we were worried about her getting caught so we took it off.

Probably best to book a visit to a rabbit knowledgeable vets just to be on the safe side - you don't want her getting a complex if you keep questioning her sexuality ;)!

Caz

You are not alone in guessign the sexulaity! We were told we had aboy and a girl but alas no 2 boys as the vet confirmed this week! lol ! :lol:
Bob is still Bob & Maisy we called Dave but have now renamed Dexter!

Anna, Bob & Dexter xxx

hehehe dont worry, alot of people have had the same problems with sexing their rabbits. Tamsin said here are some pics, but doesnt seem to have given u the link so here it is http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=648
If you scroll through that thread you will find some photos that Pendragon took of her baby rabbits to help with the sexing.
Good luck!
Chris[/quote]

Back