• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be worried? Images contain pooh. Sorry.

JuliaW

Warren Scout
Found these in a recently cleaned tray tonight. Am used to seeing some linked one's but these seem really excessive. Some of you may know one of my two has issues with stasis and was quite quiet when we got back in this afternoon. He is fine now and has eaten plenty of fresh forage and had a run around outside. They are both moulting and despite my best efforts to brush them they exist in clouds of fluff and groom each other and themselves manically. Any suggestions/ thoughts?
b48c4e0ba328da779b8fdee16ff0e562.jpg

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

It's abit worrying to be honest. Are their poohs dark because they are eating a lot of grass? I know they need roughage to push everything through quickly especially when they are moulting. We'll wait and see what someone else has to say.

Found these in a recently cleaned tray tonight. Am used to seeing some linked one's but these seem really excessive. Some of you may know one of my two has issues with stasis and was quite quiet when we got back in this afternoon. He is fine now and has eaten plenty of fresh forage and had a run around outside. They are both moulting and despite my best efforts to brush them they exist in clouds of fluff and groom each other and themselves manically. Any suggestions/ thoughts?
b48c4e0ba328da779b8fdee16ff0e562.jpg

I don't think you should be worried Julia but it depends on how much this is happening, as the poo looks a bit small (how big are your rabbits?)

It happens a lot when rabbits are moulting. It's usually a good idea to keep an eye out and make sure there are some 'normal' droppings as well as those 'string of pearls'. Fibre and hydration are the key to getting through this. Wash veggies and leave them wet. If worried then flavour the water with a little apple juice. Add in lots of fresh grass if you can, as it's better than hay when fur is ingested.

http://www.bunnymama.com/rabbit-poop/

Some people, including my vet, advocate giving pineapple juice to move things through :)

Thanks both tonibun and MM. Yes they are very dark but they are getting a lot of fresh grass- I cut them some twice a day in addition to fresh forage and they have upto an hour free outside with long grass most days that they graze. They are much paler/yellow in the winter. They are both good hay eaters though. I suppose at least they are being passed and there are some normal ones too.

Thanks both tonibun and MM. Yes they are very dark but they are getting a lot of fresh grass- I cut them some twice a day in addition to fresh forage and they have upto an hour free outside with long grass most days that they graze. They are much paler/yellow in the winter. They are both good hay eaters though. I suppose at least they are being passed and there are some normal ones too.

Hopefully it's just moult connected.

That's the key :thumb: So long as some normal ones pass. You can have the remedial suggestions up your sleeve in case their guts seem to be a bit more sluggish.

Fresh grass always makes for darker poos x

Hi Julia :wave: They're works of art aren't they :)

I wouldn't be worried by these, as you know what they are caused by and that you need to monitor output carefully until all the poos get back to normal. If it were me I would be feeding lots of Bramble leaves (my standby when poos are not top quality). My rabbits certainly have darker poos in the Summer due to fresh grass and forage.

Thanks omi . I'll try upping the bramble leaves. He is eating some as we speak from his mixed breakfast forage. I collect stuff from the garden before I do anything else when I get up. It is a lovely peaceful way to start the day[emoji4]

Thanks omi . I'll try upping the bramble leaves. He is eating some as we speak from his mixed breakfast forage. I collect stuff from the garden before I do anything else when I get up. It is a lovely peaceful way to start the day[emoji4]

Yes I do :)
Then I end up rushing my own breakfast and shower as of course the buns always take priority :)

Back