• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass

bunnyhuggger

Warren Veteran
Anyone else feed this to their buns? I got an 18kg bag for £10, but then realised it's 15% protein. Fibre is good though at 32%. Bear can't tolerate it (does dreadful things to his poo :oops: :roll: ), but Sna'ba', the hooligans, et al seem to enjoy it.

Just had a look at Supaforage which is the other one I normally use and it's 15% protein too, but 20% fibre.

Hiya Lynda, we tried the readigrass for a while, and then had to stop it, as unfortunately over time it created a build up of windy tums (and we found ourselves with several cases of gut statis :? ).

I would feed this very, very cautiously, and it is not just the sudden affect on bunnies, but the gradual build up of gases in the stomach..Readigrass seems to ferment easily, and also does this in the gut I guess.

We tried a small handful once a day to supplement diet, but even this was too much after a time.

Sorry to be so negative about it, but it just did not suit any of our 26 bunnies...you may have a different experience with it completely.
We threw half a bag away, to save any more bunnies having upset tummies.

Just try it and see how you go, I am just being honest Lynda as I do not want you to have poorly bunnies on your hand :?

Thanks Adele, I'll proceed with caution. No signs of stasis so far thank god! Otherwise I'll have to find a hungry horse :roll:

bunnyhuggger said:
Thanks Adele, I'll proceed with caution. No signs of stasis so far thank god! Otherwise I'll have to find a hungry horse :roll:

Oh gawd then the horse could end up with colic :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..it is better tolerated by horses, but not so bunnies with their delicate systems.

I know you are really sensible with the bunnies Lynda (just not with anything else :twisted: :p :lol: )..so you should be fine :D :D

I got the stuff from bunnymail which says its readigrass butturns up in that friendly grass bag. Its a very bright colour, not sure how they get it. It smells good but never seen mine eat it.

Hello ladies :)
I was just reading this thread (as you do) and saw Adeles comments on windy tums and gut stasis.
I wondered if someone could explain to me what stasis is and what are the signs of a rabbit with this complaint?
I'm rather curious.

Tar very much!

mine have the friendly dryed grass they love in i give them a bowl full its gone in minutes, little piggies!

~Lisa~ said:
Hello ladies :)
I was just reading this thread (as you do) and saw Adeles comments on windy tums and gut stasis.
I wondered if someone could explain to me what stasis is and what are the signs of a rabbit with this complaint?
I'm rather curious.

Tar very much!

Hi Lisa,

If you read my recent post "paranoid bunny Mum" -that was Totti having a bout of gut statis and when the vet examined his tum, he was full of gas, poor little mite.

I have used Friendly Grass (like readygrass) for a long time without any ill effects on any of my six buns. Some really love it, others eat little of it, but they all nibble at it one time or other. I like to give them a variety of grasses just like they would have in the wild, so they get timothy rich hay as well as Friendly Grass.

Vera

Adele said:
Oh gawd then the horse could end up with colic :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..it is better tolerated by horses, but not so bunnies with their delicate systems.

I think Readi-Grass is actually designed for Horses in mind and not Rabbits. That’s probably why you had so many problems Adele.

I have just started using Friendship Estates Pure Dried Grass on the advice of my feed merchant, it only has 12% protein in it. She said Readi-Grass wasn't suitable for small animals.

Louise

I use the Supa Forage and I've never had any problems. But they don't get it every day. It's generally only when I run out of my normal hay and have to make a run to P@H. They sell Timothy Hay there now, but we're not that impressed with it, so we mix it up with a bag of the grass. So really they're only getting it once every few months or so, but they get the whole bag over the course of a few days. They seem to prefer the hay, but they still tuck in. I don't like the smell of it. But as I say, no tummy problems with my lot.

Mmmhhh, now I'm not sure what to do with Rob. He eats very little hay, so I got readigrass, and he seems to like it better - will eat about half a ceramic bowl of this a day. However, seeing as he has 'statis' issues, I'm now wondering if he shouldn't have this.

Is it better than not eating any hay/grass, as that is likely to be the alternative. When he does go near hay (and I have tried him with many different types), he just bites it to pieces and drops it on the floor :? :roll:

I think the strong smell that the dried grass produces is the Chlorophyll. (The stuff that makes the grass green.).

Louise

The one from bunnymail on their site is labled as readigrass but says its rebagged. When I got it it was bagged as friendly pure dried grass for small animals with a lower protein value than on their web site. So god knows what they are sending out.

I think with all the things we feed our bunnies it about variety. I don't think one type of grass/hay/straw is better than any others but too much of one type limits the nutrients.

I also don't get how they make the dried grass so green - as soon as I cut grass it starts to go brown.

AmberUK said:
I also don't get how they make the dried grass so green - as soon as I cut grass it starts to go brown.

Hmmmmm, I know what you mean. I think it is the natural colour of the grass but maybe the way they dry it helps it maintain it's colour, a bit like when you press and dry flowers to preserve them.

luvabun said:
Hi Lisa,

If you read my recent post "paranoid bunny Mum" -that was Totti having a bout of gut statis and when the vet examined his tum, he was full of gas, poor little mite.

Hiya luvabun,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I don't know how I missed your thead, I usually read them all :)
I like to be clued up about these things, so one can act promptly if needed.

I was sorry to read about your Totti being unwell, how's he doing now?

I bought some readigrass for new bunny. She just pretends its not there. I think I willfeed it to the horse I share instead after reading this... :?

~Lisa~ said:
luvabun said:
Hi Lisa,

Hiya luvabun,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I don't know how I missed your thead, I usually read them all :)
I like to be clued up about these things, so one can act promptly if needed.

I was sorry to read about your Totti being unwell, how's he doing now?

Pooing away quite nicely now thank you. I'm glad I took him in when I did i.e .at the first sign of no poos.

Just reading this thread with intrest - especially the one that says 'god knows what bunnymail are sending out'. well in case noone knows - Friendly dried grass and Readigrass are IDENTICAL products. If you buy it in an 18kg sac its called Readigrass, and packaged by the Friendship estates company. If you buy it in the 1 kg bags its called 'friendly' dried grass and still packaged by the friendship estates company. They are the same product, produced by the same company but the different sizes just have different names. They should all have the same protein values depending on the crop used etc. But the products are identical. one is not for horses and one for bunnies, they are interchangable. Just not econimical for horse people to buy 1kg bags for their horses and not many people can go through an 18kg bag for their rabbits..

Lori

Back